• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Volek not likely an option

Sword

not sure why anyone thought any of us were saying volek was some long term answer. he just might provide stability and instant offense improvement while this year/next year's quarterbacks adjust to the game. imo, even if the rookie beats out Volek or another seasoned FA, it is still good to have had Volek/whoever to compete with him and back him up if things go to poo.

moore could probably do just as well tho.

People won't like hearing it, but Smith is a legit possibility.

His best year came with Norv Turner as his QB coach, and heaven knows our staff has loads of ties to Turner.

If San Fran doesn't want to keep him, he could get a shot here.

I'm going to get flamed for this, but...

I really would like us to pass on a QB this year, and go into camp with Moore/Alex Smith/Clausen/Pike, and keep the best 3.

While I don't think Smith is a long term answer since he's probably never going to be an elite guy, I think he's a decent passer that, with a change in scenery, could become a good player for us while our young WRs develop.

I'm going to get flamed for this, but...

I really would like us to pass on a QB this year, and go into camp with Moore/Alex Smith/Clausen/Pike, and keep the best 3.

While I don't think Smith is a long term answer since he's probably never going to be an elite guy, I think he's a decent passer that, with a change in scenery, could become a good player for us while our young WRs develop.

I wouldn't scream about that lineup, but Smith's definitely not my first choice.

If Chud/Shula had the same influence on him as Turner, it could work.

I could see Donovan McNabb or Vince Young for that...but not Billy freaking Volek.

McNabb is garbage outside of the west coast offense and VY is both a headcase, and young enough to where he would not be considered a stop gap veteran, but a possible future of the franchise.

like it or not, Volek is one of the few options we have next year

So what is your option at QB after the stop gap? Another stop gap?

a never ending stream of stop gaps and 2nd-5th round QB selections that you hope pan out because those 1st rounders are just too risky(We would have to get number 1 to get Luck next year anyway don't see that happening).

Archived