• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Comparing Newton to Vick

unicar15

Newton is probably the most athletic QB that has come out since Mike Vick. I think its fair to compare the two and their playing styles. So how do Newton's college numbers stack up against Vick's?

Vick:

1999 - 58% completion, 1840 passing, 12 TDs 5 INTs, 580 rushing, 8 TDs (20TDs total)

2000 - 54.2% completion, 1439 passing, 9 TDs 7 INTs, 636 rushing, 9 TDs (18TDs total)

Newton:

2010 - 66.1% completion, 30TDs passing, 7INTs, 1409 rushing, 20 TDs (50TDs total)

Pretty stark contrast. I know the offenses make a difference but 50TDs is outstanding. The one thing that I don't like about Newton is the "stability" factor which IMO is one of the most important factors in picking a QB. Other than that he is the best prospect in the draft for our team. It just better be understood by him from day 1 that it doesn't matter how big, strong, or fast you are if you don't put in the work to study.

Well, Newton is much slower than Vick (I seem to remember him running a high 4.2 40? like 4.28 or 4.29 I think) and it's easy to see the difference in speed when you watch them. However, I think Newton is more accurate than Vick and the 4 or 5 inches he has on him helps a lot also. I really think Newton is motivated and will be as much a film rat as he needs to be. He seems like he really loves playing the game and has the motivation to put in all the work necessary to succeed. This is why I'm ok with us drafting him, because he's not ready to be a stud QB right out the gate. I don't think (or hope) that he's our starter in week 1. Maybe by week 10 he'll be ready, but I truly hope they don't rush him in.

I don't see these two as being all that similar, TBH. Vick is much faster than Newton, smaller, quicker, and more of a runner. Cam is slower, but probably more athletic overall when you consider his size advantage over Vick. He's also a better passer right now than Vick was coming out of college by a pretty wide margin.

If Newton realises that he can't rely on his athleticism I think he will be a successful QB, if he works hard at being a pocket passer and only uses running as a last resort (like Rodgers) I think he will be successful. He needs to realise that he won't even be able to outrun CB's and run through LB's in the NFL. I don't know what his worth ethic is like but he definately has the winning mentality that is required to be a leader.

I don't see these two as being all that similar, TBH. Vick is much faster than Newton, smaller, quicker, and more of a runner. Cam is slower, but probably more athletic overall when you consider his size advantage over Vick. He's also a better passer right now than Vick was coming out of college by a pretty wide margin.

As far as being prolific running QBs coming out of college...nobody compares to these two guys. Whether or not Vick is faster and Newton is bigger makes no difference. They are both prolific running QBs.

The thing I'm worried about with Newton (and its pretty much the only thing) is the focus factor. Can he block out his entourage saying they want him to cut his film sessions short in order to go out and party? Is he going to be the guy dragging the OL and WRs and the rest of the guys into the film room to study with him? I think he has the personality to command that kind of respect but does he have the motivation to follow through with it?? That is the stuff I'm wondering about because it took Mike Vick about 8 years to realize that he needed to rely less on his feet and more on his brain. The reason it took him so long is because he wasn't focused enough to study the game and quite frankly the game just came too easy for him because he was so athletic. Newton has that same advantage...Just so easy that he doesn't feel like he needs to study as hard. Hopefully when we draft him he'll decide he does need to study just as hard as the less athletic QBs out there. Because to tell you the truth the best QBs are the guys who have the least quickness etc...Not exaclty the picture of elite athleticism in that list.

Manning, Brady, Brees, Rivers...

Newton is not the most athletic since Vick, and he's not the best runner since Vick either. He's the most impressive athlete since maybe Russell (which is what invites the comparison, not race or QB style). And he's a big winner--everyone on the other side of the ball was afraid of how well he could lead the team downfield last year, every time he got the ball.

With Vick, you expected the run. With Newton, you knew he would sometimes take off, but what killed you with him was how elusive he is in the backfield. He gets the snap, works in the pocket, then when it collapses he's suddenly on the other side field. Where Vick would take off and get you ten yards on the ground, Newton stops and throws for 20. Blitz Vick and he runs. Blitz Newton and and his completion percentage goes up to stupid high levels.

But the worst thing he does to you is on third and short. He can run the sneak, he has the speed to run outside, and he can throw. Auburn was 3rd nationally in third down conversions last year.

Everyone looks at Newton and sees all the big play potential, but what you're missing when you do that is the ability he has to just plain drive the ball down the field. Auburn set a school record for first downs last year, did you realize that? That means tons of long, sustained drives.

To me, the only question about him is whether he'll put in the work to take his game to the next level. If he does, then he will almost certainly be the next NFL superstar. I always feel like the defense can stop Manning, or Brees, and once we got Davis I felt like we had solved the Vick puzzle. With Newton, I don't see it. When he gets the ball you almost need three perfect downs in a row to keep him from scoring.

In college he was all but unstoppable. And that's why you just about have to take him first. Just for the chance that he repeats in the pros--it's worth it.

Newton is not the most athletic since Vick, and he's not the best runner since Vick either. He's the most impressive athlete since maybe Russell (which is what invites the comparison, not race or QB style). And he's a big winner--everyone on the other side of the ball was afraid of how well he could lead the team downfield last year, every time he got the ball.

With Vick, you expected the run. With Newton, you knew he would sometimes take off, but what killed you with him was how elusive he is in the backfield. He gets the snap, works in the pocket, then when it collapses he's suddenly on the other side field. Where Vick would take off and get you ten yards on the ground, Newton stops and throws for 20. Blitz Vick and he runs. Blitz Newton and and his completion percentage goes up to stupid high levels.

But the worst thing he does to you is on third and short. He can run the sneak, he has the speed to run outside, and he can throw. Auburn was 3rd nationally in third down conversions last year.

Everyone looks at Newton and sees all the big play potential, but what you're missing when you do that is the ability he has to just plain drive the ball down the field. Auburn set a school record for first downs last year, did you realize that? That means tons of long, sustained drives.

To me, the only question about him is whether he'll put in the work to take his game to the next level. If he does, then he will almost certainly be the next NFL superstar. I always feel like the defense can stop Manning, or Brees, and once we got Davis I felt like we had solved the Vick puzzle. With Newton, I don't see it. When he gets the ball you almost need three perfect downs in a row to keep him from scoring.

In college he was all but unstoppable. And that's why you just about have to take him first. Just for the chance that he repeats in the pros--it's worth it.

First of all Jamarcus Russell was an arm...not an overall athlete. Who has been a more athletic QB than Newton coming out since 2000?? Secondly, I don't know how you can say Vick was a more likely runner than Newton. Newton, more often than not, had more rushing attempts than pass attempts in his games. He rushed the ball at least as much as he passed in most of his games. I just looked at a stat line and the guy ran the ball 28 times against LSU.

So, while I like your synopsis that he was "elusive in the backfield" I gotta disagree with the whole "he doesn't look to run first" idea. The guy was a 1 read and take off QB in college. If he can harness that then he can be a great QB. If he can't then he'll be Mike Vick of the first 7 seasons...which I personally don't want.

Vick is definitely faster and more agile than Newton, but Newton is a much bigger guy so that's to be expected... and even at that Newton is pretty darn fast and agile on his feet.

I think Newton is a better passer than Vick, Vick might be better throwing on the run but Cam, partially by virtue of his height, is a better passer from the pocket.

The thing I'm worried about with Newton (and its pretty much the only thing) is the focus factor. Can he block out his entourage saying they want him to cut his film sessions short in order to go out and party?

His entourage right now is his family and coaches. The guy is not a big party animal, and reportedly doesn't even drink.

Could he develop an entourage once signed to a big contract? Sure. But there is no indication right now that he is any more of a risk to fall into this trap than Blaine Gabbert or anyone else in the draft.

First of all Jamarcus Russell was an arm...not an overall athlete. Who has been a more athletic QB than Newton coming out since 2000?? Secondly, I don't know how you can say Vick was a more likely runner than Newton. Newton, more often than not, had more rushing attempts than pass attempts in his games. He rushed the ball at least as much as he passed in most of his games. I just looked at a stat line and the guy ran the ball 28 times against LSU.

So, while I like your synopsis that he was "elusive in the backfield" I gotta disagree with the whole "he doesn't look to run first" idea. The guy was a 1 read and take off QB in college. If he can harness that then he can be a great QB. If he can't then he'll be Mike Vick of the first 7 seasons...which I personally don't want.

His "one read" was more like read the cornerback and make your passing decision accordingly.

And for what it's worth, I watched a lot of Auburn games this year, and you're right about how often he ran the ball. But there's a huge difference in a called running play and a broken passing play. I should have been more specific maybe, but those are the ones I was talking about. When things went south in the protection, Newton was even more deadly than usual.

And Russell was more than an arm. He got fat in the pros, but he was a massive guy who could move-he could run, dodge, break tackles, bull his way through defenders, etc... He was amazing, but as an LSU fan we all knew he had a ten cent head. I don't see that in Newton.

....Everyone looks at Newton and sees all the big play potential, but what you're missing when you do that is the ability he has to just plain drive the ball down the field. Auburn set a school record for first downs last year, did you realize that? That means tons of long, sustained drives..

Oh how nice that would be to see here :willy_nilly:

Archived