• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Comparing Newton to Vick

unicar15

I had a mock draft awhile back with Philly trading Kolb to Arizona for their 1st, then trading the #5, #23, and #54 picks to Carolina to get Newton and learn under Vick. I would laugh my ass off if that ended up happening.

Cam was able to make a lot of throws by selling the defense on him running it. This is my #1 concern because no NFL defense is going to bite a classic Newton lean in before he passes it to the receiver whose DB bit. Newton had to be accounted for on the ground, gaining positive yards. In the NFL, he won't have to be accounted for making positive gains no where near the extent in college. He won't be able to lean in. He will have to drop back. If you want to talk about how well he passed it, that had a lot to do with how well he ran it. If we pick Newton and he plans on trying to gain yards like he did in college, he is going to get hurt.

If we pick Newton and he plans on trying to gain yards like he did in college, he is going to get hurt.

Or he can play like the QBs we already have, Moore & Clausen, and either remain in the pocket to get sacked or scramble late and get hurt. All of our starters missed multiple games last season and none would be described as "run first QBs" or "athletic QBs" or whatever we call them. Clausen and Moore both suffered concussions last season. So the idea that Cam is more prone to getting hurt than what we've had is bogus. If he has the ability to create and make things happen with his legs, I dont see that as a detriment, but rather a much needed luxury that Carolina has never had and needs to compete in this era. Now granted, he wont be rushing 15-20 times a game like in college, but he will make an impact as a threat to rush.

So, while I like your synopsis that he was "elusive in the backfield" I gotta disagree with the whole "he doesn't look to run first" idea. The guy was a 1 read and take off QB in college. If he can harness that then he can be a great QB. If he can't then he'll be Mike Vick of the first 7 seasons...which I personally don't want.

Holly crap. People are STILL spouting this one read and run nonsense?

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/carolina-panthers/59615-article-about-auburn-passing-attack.html

Please read this article and watch the embedded video on page 2.

Newton's scrambling ability in the pocket could be pure gold. As a rusher, I think he can do what Rodgers does in the open field (Rodgers will take off for 15 yards if you give him enough of a clearing).

Don't really see how Vick and Newton are that similar though.

I think Cam is more like Roethlisberger but a faster version.

I'd agree with this.

Rapistburger would have never been picked #1 overall either.

Sickens me how weak this draft is.

Also agree with this.

Only substantive similarity between Newton and Vick is that they are both black. Newton has a much more NFL ready arm and doesn't have near the speed of Vick.

Vick has/had an incredible arm. There is more similarity to their games coming out of college than "they are just black."

As far as Newton reportedly "not drinking" and his entourage being his family and nobody else...I hope that's the case but as with all young players (especially one as high profile as QB) things change when they get to the NFL. I have the same concerns for Gabbert if we take him #1 as far as putting in the work.

I've essentially said things that I love about Newton here and things that are worrisome with the #1 pick. I will have no qualms with taking him #1. He and Gabbert are even in my opinion..

I think Cam is more like Roethlisberger but a faster version.

I think Roethlisberger is more like Vick but a slower version.

And Roethlisberger likes to stick his penis in drunk, under-aged college girls, where Vick just likes to drown puppies.

But other than that, they are pretty much the same.

Newton is not the most athletic since Vick, and he's not the best runner since Vick either. He's the most impressive athlete since maybe Russell (which is what invites the comparison, not race or QB style). And he's a big winner--everyone on the other side of the ball was afraid of how well he could lead the team downfield last year, every time he got the ball.

With Vick, you expected the run. With Newton, you knew he would sometimes take off, but what killed you with him was how elusive he is in the backfield. He gets the snap, works in the pocket, then when it collapses he's suddenly on the other side field. Where Vick would take off and get you ten yards on the ground, Newton stops and throws for 20. Blitz Vick and he runs. Blitz Newton and and his completion percentage goes up to stupid high levels.

But the worst thing he does to you is on third and short. He can run the sneak, he has the speed to run outside, and he can throw. Auburn was 3rd nationally in third down conversions last year.

Everyone looks at Newton and sees all the big play potential, but what you're missing when you do that is the ability he has to just plain drive the ball down the field. Auburn set a school record for first downs last year, did you realize that? That means tons of long, sustained drives.

To me, the only question about him is whether he'll put in the work to take his game to the next level. If he does, then he will almost certainly be the next NFL superstar. I always feel like the defense can stop Manning, or Brees, and once we got Davis I felt like we had solved the Vick puzzle. With Newton, I don't see it. When he gets the ball you almost need three perfect downs in a row to keep him from scoring.

In college he was all but unstoppable. And that's why you just about have to take him first. Just for the chance that he repeats in the pros--it's worth it.

plutonium-grade raw material...

if he can dissect a defense, watch out.

Archived