• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stanford runnning a zone read option???

teeray

According to Chad Reuter thru twitter:

Uh-oh...Stanford's running the zone-read option at the spring game....I feel Luck's stock dropping. :)

Guess his game won't translate to the NFL now. :lol:

Honestly I didn't see the spring game but that would be quite a shift in scheme.

I'm sure it's just a few plays. Even USC who has been running a pro style system for years now ran some spread option looks last year just to try to catch defenses off guard. Andrew Luck is a pro style QB and has proven that for several years now, even if they ran spread option all year he would still be regarded as a pro ready QB because of his past experience. Cam Newton on the other hand has NEVER run a pro style offense in his football career so it's understandable that people would question (I mean hate and be racist) his ability to transition to the NFL.....

yeah his stock is going to drop past barkleys i bet (dunno about jones). he had the whole nfl slobbering over him and its doubtful it'll be like that next year. what a fuging idiot

I'm a USC homer and I don't think there's a chance Barkey will be drafted before Luck. I honestly don't think Barkley will come out next year either, he has always said he wants to win a BCS game, which he will not have the chance to do until his senior year barring a successful appeal.....

if they go option that will mean NFL scouts won't even pay attention to this season and just look at what he did in pro-style..so from a football prospective it's a waste of a season so he must of really wanted to learn that architecture degree(which will be obsolete when he retires from NFL).

Luck was a fool not to declare this year on several levels, this will probably be the last year of the monster rookie contracts. His stock will never go any higher than it was this year, he was guaranteed to be the # 1 overall pick and there's no reason he couldn't finish school while he was playing in the NFL.

You may say he didn't declare for the draft because we had the # 1 overall pick... but we were 12-4 vying for the # 1 seed in the NFC just two years ago, so we're not a bad franchise to be drafted by.... it's just as likely that he'll find himself on the Jags, Bengals or Bills next year, good luck with that.

In all honestly, the fact that he shied away from the NFL for the safe confines of college life is a red flag to me... sounds like he's not sure he can handle the pressure.

Luck was a fool not to declare this year on several levels, this will probably be the last year of the monster rookie contracts. His stock will never go any higher than it was this year, he was guaranteed to be the # 1 overall pick and there's no reason he couldn't finish school while he was playing in the NFL.

In all honestly, the fact that he shied away from the NFL for the safe confines of college life is a red flag to me... sounds like he's not sure he can handle the pressure.

Or.....money isn't an issue, he enjoys college life and he's confident that his play will speak for itself and he will still be the top prospect next year....

I doubt it'll affect how scouts evaluate his skill set (plenty of tape on that already). But I do think it's a poor choice on their part and I question how well they'll do with that attack and the personnel they have.

If it does drop his draft stick, it could be good for us.

I honestly don't think Barkley will come out next year either' date=' he has always said he wants to win a BCS game, which he will not have the chance to do until his senior year barring a successful appeal.....[/quote']

No problem.

We will just wait for 2 years. Luck and/or Barkley have already been anointed as saviors of the franchise. We won't take a chance on a QB until we are 100% certain of their NFL success.

PS: Not directed at you, C42[)14C C47, just at those that are satisfied with floundering around until we happen to get someone totally safe.

And every other team not picking #1.

Can't you guys just nut up and realize Luck will NEVER be a CAROLINA PANTHER!!!

He may not be, but nobody can predict that with any certainty.

Even so, it's not like he's expected to be the only QB option available next year.

You may say he didn't declare for the draft because we had the # 1 overall pick... but we were 12-4 vying for the # 1 seed in the NFC just two years ago, so we're not a bad franchise to be drafted by.... it's just as likely that he'll find himself on the Jags, Bengals or Bills next year, good luck with that.

I don't get that at all.

I think when he says he wanted to finish his degree and play one more year of college to try and accomplish some personal goals, he meant it. Nothing to do with us. Nothing to do with pressure. Just what he wanted.

And honestly, it is smart to have something to fall back on in case you blow your knee the first day of minicamp or some such.

I agree it might turn out to be a bad decision, but I don't really question the reasons he made it.

Manning did the same thing... Locker did it this year... Bradford...

How many of those guys would you say can't handle pressure? Locker may not have played in the NFL yet but the kid is tough as hell, and while he may never make it as an NFL qb it won't be due to him being unable to handle pressure.

To some guys, there are things more important than money.

Archived