• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Latest fron Gantt's blog.

carpanfan96

wow...i love pepp but give me shep and a 1st, then trade Lucas for the highest pick you can get, and then KEEP moose. Moose is too valuable. Hes just a great blocker and if anything, you go get Holt anyway. This team needs a #3 WR like Proehl was, or bump Moose down to #3 and get Holt for #2.

Im just one that thinks this offense is set and that we need to focus on the defense and getting Shephard would fix our secondary struggles, our LBs seem fine to me, and then draft some DEs to replace Peppers.

This should be fun.

Moose needs to be on the field as the #2 WR. Moving to #3 would limit him to passing downs (primarily) under our offense. Holt as a #3 would be dangerous. Jeff could open up the offense and things would really get interesting.

hings will probably be slow for the next 15 hours or so, but the pace expects to pick up tomorrow. Today's big news was that backup LB Landon Johnson's going to take a pay cut, hardly surprising after the $10 million contract they signed him to last offseason bought them seven tackles.

But with a little time before the dominoes start falling, you can't help but wonder about a few things. Let me be clear, these are all purely hypothetical, just a little grist for the mill before things start shaking:

-- Would you tell Moose thanks for the memories?

WR Muhsin Muhammad played well last year (65-923-5), and his blocking helped them set a franchise record in the run game. But he'll turn 36 in May, and he'd be cheap enough to cut ($250k in dead money, saving $2 million in base and roster bonus).

As much goodwill as he generated in his comeback, would you let him go for a shot at Torry Holt, who figures to be an ex-Ram soon? Holt started pining for a chance to come here a year ago, when his brother was on the roster. Seems like a tantalizing option. Holt's going to be 33 in June, and has the better receiving resume.

For the rest

I don't think we would save 2 million this year. His salary is 1.5 million but you have to subtract his guaranteed money. I suspect we would save around a million, no more.

As for Holt versus Moose, receivng resumes over a career are irrelevant. it is about what did you do lately.

In 2008 Moose had 65 catches for 923 yards for a 14.2 average and 5 TDs

In 2008 Holt had 64 catches for 796 yards for a 12.4 average and 3 TDs

Given that Holt would cost more, doesn't block nearly as well, isn't as physical as Moose and had less production, I am really confused as to why he would be the better deal.

As for his age Moose at 36 seems in better condition than Holt at 33. Besides Moose's conditioning and overall fitness is extremely good for any age.

As for Shepard-

Last year he started 3 games, had 21 total tackles, 4 passes defended, and 1 Int. In fact he hasn't started 16 games in his career. The most being 15 in 2004. In 2006 he started 13. In 2007 he started 11 games had 51 tackles, 5 passes defended and 2 Ints.

Compare that to Lucas who started all 16 games, had 60 tackles, 10 passes defended and 2 Ints. Last year he again played 16 games with 61 tackles, 12 passes defended and 2 INTs.

Sure Lucas is expensive and I don't see us keeping him at his price, but Lito hardly seems like the deal many of you think he is. He is average at best, has injury issues, isn't very physical or a great performer. There is a reason that Philly keeps shopping him.

BTW Shepard isn't even better than Marshall.

Marshall in 2008 didn't start 1 game but he had 75 tackles, 4 PD, and 1 Int

In 2007 he started 6 games and had 89 tackles, 10 passes defended and 3 Ints.

No way do I want Shepard and if you look into the numbers either would you.

I'm not as big a fan of Lito as others, honestly.

If we were to pick up Holt as the #2, I'd rather keep Moose as our "Proehl" receiver and find the cap room elsewhere.

I agree. He's injured a lot and he's a bit of a malcontent.

Plus the 21st pick? For a talent like Peppers? Doesn't match.

You guys..... there is only ONE position on offense that needs upgraded, and it's QB. Other than that, we're fine. We need defensive help. I don't think Holt would fit better than Moose at #2, and if you bring in Holt, Jarrett won't get to develop and will probably leave when his time comes. Moose has close to 1,000 yards as a #2 with a QB that's barely average, and you want to replace him? This isn't Madden...

Archived