• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

a look at what the chud offense may look like...

rayzor

With all of the areas of the "pro system" that Newton did not get college experience, one that he did was the "no huddle offense". Auburn ran teams ragged using no huddle and I expect the Panthers to try to do the same. Indy uses this extensively with Manning in the shotgun. This eliminates teams ability to substitute down and distance packages and really simplifies playcalling because teams are more straight forward in their base defense.

So basically we'll be inverting the run/pass ratio from the Fox years and using the TE and HB's as receivers.... me like.

Rosario is my dark horse to have a breakout season, his skills at TE (mostly as a receiver) didn't have much value in Fox's offense, but it will be a totally different deal with Chud and I think Rosario has a tremendous amount of untapped talent.

I know we have Shockey and Rosario but lets not forget King. He may not light up the scoreboard with his blazing speed but he is a solid receiver. Based on the numbers in the OP I would say he will have his best year as a TE.

Two TE set with Shockey and King is going to make defenses think twice before stacking the line thinking run only.

I have a feeling they will use Newton's athletic ability more in the form of roll outs... get him out of the pocket. we know he prefers to throw than run, and any coach in their right mind would rather see the same.. let him use his feet to create a little more time to throw down field..

get the defense running to the right, then sneak a FB or RB off into the flat on the other side of the field..

a lot they can do when it comes to little variations in every play. get the defense thinking. put their awareness on every aspect of a play, whether it's someone sneaking off to a flat, going deep, screen play, slant, whatever.

god forbid we run it 3 times in a row...

I think that you are spot on in the evaluation.

I also doubt that we will see the full Chud offense in 2011. With a new systema nd a rookie QB, I still think that Chud will lean on the running game more than he would like to eventually get to.

This will protect Newton and allow him to develop.

Thus, I don't think we will be quite as run heavy as we were under Fox....but I also don't think we will be as pass heavy as you saw in SD.

Thought?

I know we have Shockey and Rosario but lets not forget King. He may not light up the scoreboard with his blazing speed but he is a solid receiver. Based on the numbers in the OP I would say he will have his best year as a TE.

Two TE set with Shockey and King is going to make defenses think twice before stacking the line thinking run only.

I'm not sure where King will fit in this offense. True, he's a solid receiver and blocker but it seems TE's who can stretch the field are more valuable in Chud's vertical offense. King was valuable in Fox's offense b/c he was a the best blcoker out of the three. If I had to guess, I'd think King would be the odd man out, as Shockey, Rosario, and Barnidge appear to better fit the type of TE needed in this offense. JMO

a weapon like him and Fox/Davidson couldn't get creative? f**kers deserved to get fired..

I know Fox is gone now (thank God), but it's hard for me to understand how a man with 9 years coaching the same team could be so stubbornly conservative with his approach. It seemed Fox was never willing to adapt or adjust to anything, even when the personnel on hand or injuries dictated we should. It seemed everyone in the League firgured out Fox except Fox and he didn't seem to care. He was determined to fit a square peg in a round hole every time (note the point in the article stating the offense Davidson wanted to run was not conservative-friendly) and was really exposed as a mediocre coach last season when most of his veterans were let go.

The articles about our offensive/defensive staff and strategy really have me excited about our new coaching staff.

I think that you are spot on in the evaluation.

I also doubt that we will see the full Chud offense in 2011. With a new systema nd a rookie QB, I still think that Chud will lean on the running game more than he would like to eventually get to.

This will protect Newton and allow him to develop.

Thus, I don't think we will be quite as run heavy as we were under Fox....but I also don't think we will be as pass heavy as you saw in SD.

Thought?

I feel about the same, and pretty confident in saying we'll stick to the run.. Rivera has mentioned that our OLine needs to do it's job, just like our RB's need to do theirs as well, if we are to have success again.. like you said, with a rookie QB, that is a path we'll have to take until the game slows down for Newton.

Of course, if he becomes what we all hope, I'd love to see a guy like Chud get creative with playcalling. I view him in the same light as Sean Payton. (I know, that is way premature.. if "the ball bounces are way", he seems like a highly intelligent cat)

I know Fox is gone now (thank God), but it's hard for me to understand how a man with 9 years coaching the same team could be so stubbornly conservative with his approach. It seemed Fox was never willing to adapt or adjust to anything, even when the personnel on hand or injuries dictated we should. It seemed everyone in the League firgured out Fox except Fox and he didn't seem to care. He was determined to fit a square peg in a round hole every time (note the point in the article stating the offense Davidson wanted to run was not conservative-friendly) and was really exposed as a mediocre coach last season when most of his veterans were let go.

The articles about our offensive/defensive staff and strategy really have me excited about our new coaching staff.

as I explained to people trying to discount Hurney, Fox had a lot of say and I thoroughly believe his SB run and making it to the NFC Championship 2 years later gave him the impression that as long as the players execute, he doesn't need to vary his system at all. thing is, players can't execute when you are predictable as poo.. and he hung his hat on the vets, and when the vets started failing it was left up to Hurney to magically replace them without a coach who was known for coaching up talent. (proof is in the pudding, and what was the emphasize on this new coach? coaching up talent)

nevermind the list of players that should have been better had he coached them up. I think it's very telling when a guy like Chris Harris comes from Chicago and creates a new environment emphasizing turn overs, and then slowly falls off afterwards.. the fact that creating turnovers and how to do it was something new and shiny this fanbase talked about for a while. I find that interesting.

Keary Colbert is a prime example. obviously he had the talent.

I'm not sure where King will fit in this offense. True, he's a solid receiver and blocker but it seems TE's who can stretch the field are more valuable in Chud's vertical offense. King was valuable in Fox's offense b/c he was a the best blcoker out of the three. If I had to guess, I'd think King would be the odd man out, as Shockey, Rosario, and Barnidge appear to better fit the type of TE needed in this offense. JMO

He will be in Denver in a moment if we don't keep him.

Or could keep him because though the philosophy will be different I think we will see our ratio closer to 50/50 than anything else.

The only thing about Rosario or Barnidge in the lineup as TEs. They are not going to scare anyone thinking it is a run. Whereas if King and Shockey are in, in a two TE set. They could legitmately run or pass because both can block and catch.

agreed that king will be the odd man out. king's got decent hands, but he's no threat after the catch. much more likely to just fall down.

shockey. rosario, and barnridge are likely the 3 TEs we will be keeping. neither king nor rosario are under contract, though, so we might see both of them gone. king is the least likely to stick around of that group. he really doesn't fit rivera's and chud's ideal TE.

If the lockout continues into July offensive coordinators are already looking at how much they will pare back the playbook. If you look at teams with rookie quarterbacks and new offensive coordinators, it is likely they will still be installing plays in November. So I defintely agree that we will be a work in progress on offense and will continue to refine the playbook as we go. Secondly depending on the QB, we will be installing plays that best suits their skill sets so what we would do with Clausen or Moore at QB won't be the same as what we will do with Newton. So the offense should be a work in progress over the year. It is hard to predict what the offense will look like until we know who will be running it and we know how much times teams have to prepare.

when you are working with a new QB, the playbook is always a work in progress (unless your HC is fox and your OC is davidson). plays are developed as they realize the QBs (and other players) strengths and weaknesses.

with any new/rookie QB, the playbook is going to be somewhat limited early on in an effort to put less pressure on the QB. things are going to be more streamlined. crap...the vikings even did that with favre. in most cases, as the OC and players gain confidence in the QB (and the QB gains confidence in himself), more plays will be installed.

all of this would happen with or without the lockout. things might progress more slowly because of the lockout, but it will still progress. thats what i'm looking forward to. the speed at which it happens doesn't concern me much as long as progress is there.

Archived