• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

a look at what the chud offense may look like...

rayzor

one of the writers at derp did a comparison of chud's 2007 browns offense, the san diego offense of last year and the '08 panthers offense to see what major differences are esp. in the passing game. he used the '08 panthers because, "wanted to look at a year where things were clicking offensively, as I felt it better represented the offense Davidson wanted to run, rather than the offense he had to run."

http://www.derp/2011/6/1/2200621/getting-to-brass-tacks-what-will-be-the-differences-in-chudzinskis

pretty interesting stuff, imo.

some of the numbers...

Run/Pass Ratio

- 2008 Carolina Panthers: 55/45

- 2007 Cleveland Browns: 47/53

- 2010 San Diego Chargers: 46/54

Running backs as receivers

- 2008 Carolina Panthers: 39 receptions by running backs

- 2007 Cleveland Browns: 69 receptions by running backs

- 2010 San Diego Chargers: 109 receptions by running backs

The use of tight ends

- 2008 Carolina Panthers: 39 receptions, 404 yards, 2 TD

- 2007 Cleveland Browns: 95 receptions, 1,218 yards, 5 TD

- 2010 San Diego Chargers: 74 receptions, 1,076 yards, 12 TD

The use of tight ends

- 2008 Carolina Panthers: 39 receptions, 404 yards, 2 TD

- 2007 Cleveland Browns: 95 receptions, 1,218 yards, 5 TD

- 2010 San Diego Chargers: 74 receptions, 1,076 yards, 12 TD

Late down conversions

- 2008 Carolina Panthers: 78/197 attempts on 3rd down (40%), 3/8 attempts on 4th down (37%), 73 punts

- 2007 Cleveland Browns: 86/204 attempts on 3rd down (42%), 6/15 attempts on 4th down (40%), 62 punts

- 2010 San Diego Chargers: 92/205 attempts on 3rd down (45%), 5/13 attempts on 4th down (38%), 52 punts

it's a no brainer that the offense is going to look a lot different and we already have a pretty good idea that it is going to be a lot more pass heavy than what we have known, but this helps give an idea of just how different things could be looking.

btw...he also refers to an article written by cyberjag discussing the air coryell offense in a lot of detail that is also well worth the read...

http://www.derp/2011/2/5/1975521/so-what-will-the-offense-look-like-in-2011-part-one

one thing i am really curious about is how they are going to add newton's strengths as a runner to this. in that aspect it could look very different. i would like to think that it will be an improved version of it. i guess we'll see.

I have a feeling they will use Newton's athletic ability more in the form of roll outs... get him out of the pocket. we know he prefers to throw than run, and any coach in their right mind would rather see the same.. let him use his feet to create a little more time to throw down field..

get the defense running to the right, then sneak a FB or RB off into the flat on the other side of the field..

a lot they can do when it comes to little variations in every play. get the defense thinking. put their awareness on every aspect of a play, whether it's someone sneaking off to a flat, going deep, screen play, slant, whatever.

god forbid we run it 3 times in a row...

Good article Rayzor.

Just goes to prove what we have always known about Fox:

1. TEs don't exist on offense

2. and then what we we knew without the article, he could not cover them on defense.

On RBs, my thoughts are, Deangelo good out of the backfield, Stewart just ok out of the backfield, the wild card maybe Mike Goodson, good hands, great speed, if he can just learn to not fumble.

I hope we see some creativity with Goodson. Putting him in the slot or coming out of the backfield will make for some nasty match ups.

a weapon like him and Fox/Davidson couldn't get creative? f**kers deserved to get fired..

Archived