• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

does Terrelle Pryor as a back-up for Cam Newton make sense?

rayzor

anyways...even though pryor might not be the ideal candidate for a backup QB, wouldn't it make sense to find someone with a similar skill set to back him up rather than someone like clausen who is vastly different?

thats more the idea behind the thread. who it is specifically doesn't really matter.

since no one seems to be catching the idea and everyone seems to be hung up on the player i chose to name, i changed the OP just a bit to more reflect the idea i was shooting for.

pryor is just a name i threw out there. i do think the idea of having a QB with a similar skill set to newton is a good idea so that the system and playcalling would only have to change a little compared to what you would have to do with clausen or some older immobile vet.

sure there is going to be a drop off no matter what you do, but wouldn't it make sense to have backup that would require little in the way of changing what they do?

Pryor also sounds entirely too immature..

since no one seems to be catching the idea and everyone seems to be hung up on the player i chose to name, i changed the OP just a bit to more reflect the idea i was shooting for.

pryor is just a name i threw out there. i do think the idea of having a QB with a similar skill set to newton is a good idea so that the system and playcalling would only have to change a little compared to what you would have to do with clausen or some older immobile vet.

sure there is going to be a drop off no matter what you do, but wouldn't it make sense to have backup that would require little in the way of changing what they do?

I fully expect a throw 1st QB, with the addition of roll outs.. I think Cam's ability to scramble will be a last resort which I don't expect will be in the game plan.

If we are resorting on a rookie or Clausen, I have even less hope than I do if Cam starts.. I expect a down year again.

I get what you're saying, everything aside: find a comparable QB for the sole purpose of keeping the same gameplan in place. however, I don't know if the game plan will be setup with a lot of running required, unless like I mentioned, it's a scramble situation which won't be gameplanned anyhow.

the most I can see (until we actually have a product on the field to judge) is finding a guy who can throw on the run via rollouts..

..I do think the idea of having a QB with a similar skill set to newton is a good idea so that the system and playcalling would only have to change a little compared to what you would have to do with clausen or some older immobile vet.

It's for that reason that I still think that Armanti Edwards deserves a good hard look as a QB backup. Yes, he's undersized @ 5'11'' but he is mobile and has a good arm. He had a 68% completion rating in his last year @ App St. and a QB rating of 154. He's already being groomed as the wildcat threat, so having the backup QB role would not be too troublesome to teach and would be able to come into the game at a moment's notice with at least a few "check to run" plays under his belt.

MattM and JimmyC are just not the right "type" of QB for this offense. I think that Andrew Luck is also not the right QB for this team anymore, despite his fawning fans here on the board. Getting a "statue of liberty" type QB as a backup would cause too much confusion for the OL to be effective.

I think would jump at the idea of drafting pryor in the fifth. The guy could have went 1-2 if not for the drama this season. Anyone saying we have to many qb should really question how many proven qb's we have. Pike is exspendable and we've all seen jimmy in action. While drafting qbs year in year out is not the way to go, someone with pryor's skillset and value could be one of the cases worth taking a chance on.

He can play a number of positions and his trade value could skyrocket. This situation could playout very much like the on in jacksonville a while back. while it would seem that byron leftwich was drafted to be the franchise qb, little known david garrard ended up with top billing.

Lets be honest, no fifth rounder or later will have the kind of value pryor does even if he never takes a snap. On a pure trade value scale, i think its a great move. who's to say the kid can't play?

And to the guy that said he's a thug because he signed some mini footballs get real. What's the deal with black athletes getting this thug label for little to nothing.

Wait, all I hear on here is that we are running the SD offense under Norv Turner (which I don't think is true) and now we are running some form of that which now requires a mobile quarteback? Can we at least be consistent with the stuff we make up? When did Phillip Rivers start scrambling for 700 yards a season?

Will we build some plays specifically to use Cam's strengths? Yes. Will we run the triple option? No. Matt Flynn is a completely different player than Aaron Rodgers in a system that bootlegs and uses Rodgers mobility, but he did a fantastic job filling in for him this year.

OP's original concept is valid, that the backup should be similar to the primary so that the offense doesn't go through a mid game overhaul when the primary goes out. In theory it seems like a decent idea, however Pryor has bust written all over him. Bringing in a vet like Jackson would seem like a better option. Too bad we didn't get Campbell when he was available.

Archived