• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

the ultimate hypothetical thread

bLACKpANTHER

IMO, I don't believe there are any moves possible that will allow this team win a Championship in 2009. I don't think that with the Peppers situation you can look at it from a perspective of improving the team this season alone and so by isolating only the trades that would focus on improving or maintaining the defense is short-sighted.

Getting a QB like Jay Cutler could in fact allow the team to get much better defensively in the future if that meant the team did not have to waste multiple draft picks and FA signings trying to find Delhomme's replacement. Not to mention they would be getting a proven pro-bowl QB in his mid 20's.

you call what i was trying to recommend short sighted but say the above bolded part?

pot-calling-the-kettle-black-734818.jpg

the offense can maintain with what we have and, i fully believe, can improve with who we have signed.

if we neglect the defense this year or any other year you better hope we have one incredibly high powered offense the likes of which the pats couldn't even reach because thats what we are going to need. by turning our backs on the needs at defense we are forcing our team to become the next saints.

sorry, but i don't want that. our offense is solid. are defense is not. fix the problems that we have now and then focus in on future ones.

immediate problems always outweigh the future perceived ones. you neglect today and tomorrow is going to bite you in the butt.

Cutler will not be traded unless the Denver has another franchise QB in sight. Which I don't see. The only reason he was even in trade talks is because of Matt Cassel. The only way I see Cutler being traded is if he creates the awfullest stink that makes the Peppers fiasco look smell like a bed of Roses. Mark my words he will be a Bronco come next season.

Cutler will not be traded unless the Denver has another franchise QB in sight. Which I don't see. The only reason he was even in trade talks is because of Matt Cassel. The only way I see Cutler being traded is if he creates the awfullest stink that makes the Peppers fiasco look smell like a bed of Roses. Mark my words he will be a Bronco come next season.

this.

agreed. Denver would be retarded to let Culter go w/ no one near his lvl to replace him.

But, and thats a HUGE BUT, they were stupid enough to trade Pep for Cutler I would rip there hand off and run away laugh at one of the best trades every.

I am aware that we need defense, but hey why not for once here in Carolina believe the best defense is a good offense? If we get can get Cutler and maybe someone likes coles we are set. Then we can fully focus on defense during the draft.

I am aware that we need defense, but hey why not for once here in Carolina believe the best defense is a good offense? If we get can get Cutler and maybe someone likes coles we are set. Then we can fully focus on defense during the draft.

wurks 4 saints, rite?

wurks 4 saints, rite?

as it stands right now, our defense is better than the saints.. so we can afford to address the offense, but only if its this Cutler deal..

if Cutler stays in Denver, fine.. lets make a deal where we can ship Pep and Lucas and get a load of draft choices and build from there.. maybe bring in a OT, OG, DT or DE from FA

wurks 4 saints, rite?

Sure does.

Works for the Cards, Colts, Saints, Pats. Keep your defense off the field.

The big difference is the Panthers have the best RB duo in league, while the teams listed above all have a top 5 QB. If we can get a top 10 QB we are gold...see the logic?? Then we can go all out in the draft on defensive needs.:cheers2:

you call what i was trying to recommend short sighted but say the above bolded part?

pot-calling-the-kettle-black-734818.jpg

the offense can maintain with what we have and, i fully believe, can improve with who we have signed.

if we neglect the defense this year or any other year you better hope we have one incredibly high powered offense the likes of which the pats couldn't even reach because thats what we are going to need. by turning our backs on the needs at defense we are forcing our team to become the next saints.

sorry, but i don't want that. our offense is solid. are defense is not. fix the problems that we have now and then focus in on future ones.

immediate problems always outweigh the future perceived ones. you neglect today and tomorrow is going to bite you in the butt.

So exactly what are the problems on defense? And with Peppers' cap number how would you suggest that the team address those problems?

I'm not saying that you don't try to address the needs on defense. But to not look a ways to improve the offense as well is just as big of a mistake as not improving the defense. Lets not forget that it wasn't the defense that lost the game in the playoffs. That goes totally, and I mean totally, on the head of Jake Delhomme.

Your exact statement was "immediate problems always outweigh the future perceived ones. you neglect today and tomorrow is going to bite you in the butt." Delhomme is an immediate problem and I totally agree that if the team neglects that issue today that is will bite them in the butt.

Here’s a conspiracy theory for you all:

The entire league has been baffled that the Patriots did not ship Cassell to the Broncos, considering Denver was willing to give more than a second round pick (as were most teams).

Denver, like New England (and I suppose half of the league) has been cited as a place Peppers might end up. If New England shipped Cassell to Denver, Denver would be able to move Cutler.

I know Carolina’s front office stands behind Jake as their quarterback, but I wonder if they would entertain a trade of Cutler for Peppers before New England could make a move?

I still have a feeling New England is going to at least try to make a move for Peppers.

That’s out there, I know, and there are plenty of holes in that argument. But who knows?

wurks 4 saints, rite?

I can’t help but think about this every time I see a post about us picking up a big name receiver.

Our offense is the best it’s been in years, and our defense is at its worst in years. It seems every year New Orleans is picked to represent the conference in the Super Bowl, “if they could just fix that defense.”

Look at Arizona. Great offense, but they only got to the Super Bowl because their defense started playing well at the end of the regular season and into the playoffs.

That’s not to say we shouldn’t look for a franchise quarterback, or more young receivers. I just don’t think this is the year to do so. We have enough offensive firepower to take us to the Super Bowl, but the same cannot be said of our defense.

Archived