• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

7-30-2011 Practice Write-Up

Ruff

- First thing, there was a lot of people there. Fans, media, you name it. The Cam Craze has begun in Carolina, and you could definitely tell it. The final total of people in attendance, according to Spartanburg's count, was something like 7,000+.

- When Jimmy took the field, there were a few boos but also some cheers. I don't know if they were cheering football, Jimmy, or the fact that last year's starting QB just walked out infront of them, but there were some cheers.

- When Cam walked out, there was an outright standing ovation. Tons of people cheered, screamed, yelled, and were very happy. Cam flashed his trademark smile, and pointed up to both sides of the stands. He was loving every second of it.

- When the drills started, Jimmy took the field with the starters. It's clear that he is, for now, the starter, just because of past experience. Jimmy didn't seem very comfortable. I don't know if the boos got to him, but he never settle down through the whole thing. Having Cam breathing down his neck, while the fans screamed for Cam, may have rattled his nerves.

- When Cam started throwing, the crowd went crazy. The first play he took was under center, and it was a simple hand-off. Some people cheered. (One guy even yelled, 'NICE COMPLETION'. Yeah.) Cam finally threw a pass, and completed it. The crowd about lost it. I looked over to my fiance and told her, if he completes a pass to Armanti, the crowd might even break out the champagne.

- One thing about Cam's throws... Some were a little high, and a little inaccurate. He seemed like he may be nervous. At one point, the QBs were throwing over a net, about 15 ft. tall, and Cam soared one even over it. Today was probably something he wasn't used to, even at Auburn.

- On to Armanti. Armanti played like a star. Like he may even make a definite roster spot, and not just to be a body. He fielded punts like a pro, (he was first up to field punts, so I assume that he means he is the starter for now.) and even made some nice jukes past the defenders. I enjoyed watching it. The entire crowd enjoyed watching it. Then, in a drill where the receivers had to break away from cornerbacks, Armanti broke down the sideline, caught a beautifully thrown pass by Cam, tip-toed the line, and stayed in bounds, either at the 1 or for a score. Like I guessed before, the crowd lost it.

- At one point, Ryan Kalil was on the sideline with Marty Hurney, with ice on his left calf. I'm sure it was nothing, but it was disconcerting to see. It's in one of the pictures I posted. It was probably just him being tired. Today was brutally hot, and he practiced earlier today.

- I made sure to watch Kealoh Pilares. He looked... alright. He seems like he's built like Smitty, but not as muscular. He seems incredibly quick. Not as fast as some players, but really quick.

- Schwartz started at RG, and Jeff Otah started at RT. He looked light on his feet. I couldn't really tell how big he was, but, he was moving, and pulling on blocks. It was refreshing to see.

- Greg Olsen spent a lot of time with Jeremy Shockey. He was obviously trying to learn. I think Greg Olsen is going to be a Panther for a long, long time. I've thought about buying a Greg Olsen 88 jersey, because I believe he's going to be a cornerstone for so long.

- I couldn't see who was starting DT. Ron Edwards was standing around, mainly because he couldn't practice. He did stand with the DTs, and with Coach Washington, obviously trying to learn.

- Goodsen started with the 1s. I talked to the guy next to me about it, and he said that it could be because a) DWill can't practice yet, and b) he was the legitimate starter at the end of the last season. I could see that. It was almost like Ron Rivera emphasizing the fact that you aren't getting anything handed to you, and you have to earn everything. I enjoyed it.

- Ron Rivera is very stoic. He stood, and he watched. You could see that he's from a military family. The way he stands, he always looks at attention. I heard Coach McDermott yelling from where I sat, but Coach Rivera just watched. He gave advice where he thought it was needed, and he moved along. Note: He did spend a fair amount of time with the defensive linemen.

I thought Schwartz and Otah were RG and RT respectively? Gross and Wharton were on the left. Bernardeau was at center because Kalil was icing his left calf.

You're absolutely right. I'm tired, sorry. :P

You mentioned Goodson as the starter for todays practice, but I was wondering where Stew was?

Stew came in eventually. I think that Goodson was in there to emphasis a point. To show that no one's job is safe. JStew was definitely there, and looked light on his feet, don't worry.

Archived