• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

8/4 Updates

Ruff

You know whats more lame? The people that fake them...

I'm tired of these dbags...

It's 2am in the morning and theres a j/k at the bottom.

You guys need to find your sense of humor or better yet go to sleep like im about to do right now.

pce

It's 2am in the morning and theres a j/k at the bottom.

You guys need to find your sense of humor or better yet go to sleep like im about to do right now.

pce

The j/k wasn't there at first. Quit being a dick and people will have a sense of humor.

Attempts are not the same as completions. Note that I said attempts. There's no doubting how much higher DA's production was in his offense. But that production was also spurred on by a receiving corps (including a tight end and offensive coaching staff) that blew ours away last year.

As I said, the actual production was radically different, but where they threw the ball was not as large as many believe... the biggest difference was in the fact that Anderson was enormously effective in the 11-20 yard range, the same range that Clausen in camp now is practicing so hard at and actually apparently doing well. Hell, Clausen and Anderson both had like a 38% completion percentage on throws past 20 yards (though Anderson's completions at those distances were obviously more likely to yield TDs). The difference was that when Anderson threw it 11-20 yards, Clausen chucked it near the line of scrimmage.

well, completions are really all that matter.......and the where they completed passes to was drastically different. I mean if you poorly throw the ball downfield for incompletions.....that reinforces you can't make those throws. Anderson actually completed passes downfield and Jimmy focused on the short stuff.

but, in regards to attempts

Jimmy 25% were 10+

DA 37% were 10+

So all in all, I still disagree with your point and I think the numbers clearly support that. Anderson and Clausen did not largely make the same throws.

1/4 vs over 1/3 of pass attempts

A 12% difference is realstically a pretty large gap.

The problem with last year is that even good players were playing bad including 89. It was simply a lame duck year and everyone knew it.

As far as the JC debate goes... I just wish everyone would realize that in just about a week all questions will be answered and we can put this seemingly year long thread out of its misery. If he can't perform in the preseason it's over.

but again, if you look at 89's production with QBs not named Clausen were on the field......the result was signficantly different.

Clausen started 10 games and played in 13 games.......which was the overwhelming majority of the season.

the majority of Smitty's yards and all his TDs came when Clausen wasn't on the field....

So again, it clearly points to Jimmy bringing Smitty down significantly.....not the other way around. The numbers show Smith was a fairly productive WR when Clausen wasn't on the field vs. a shell of himself when Clausen was on the field.

it is greatly exaggerated how "bad" of a situation Jimmy was in.....Jimmy made it look bad. Matt Moore had 3 horrible quarters that was most a result of him just making horrific decisions.......Moore had plenty of chances to make big plays for Carolina to do much better while he was in. People use 3 quarters with Moore missing easy throws and making bad ones......as this ultmiate sign that Jimmy was in situation no one could of found success in this offense. Moore was put in a situation where he easily could of blown out the Giants and Bucs to start the season.......he didn't take advatage of the opportunies that were right in front of him.

Anderson actually completed passes downfield and Jimmy focused on the short stuff.

Anderson actually had a lower completion percentage on passes >20 yards. Hell, Jimmy and Philip F'ing Rivers had the same completion percentage on passes >20 yards. So I don't think it is ability, but judgment. He rushes plays far too much, and lingers far too long on others. Just not able to make clear quick decisions, and it cost him. Jimmy just plain *blew* in the 11-20 yard range, which is where many QBs make their money... lots of tough throws in that range, which is why I'm not surprised Clausen was working a lot on them in practice.

I know that Anderson was successful going deep more often than Clausen, but to listen to some around here, we'll never see another pass to a running back again... and anyone who isn't throwing 40 yard passes all day can't possibly operate in Chud's offense, which is simply not true if we use Anderson as an example.

Jimmy was awful last year. Not trying to hide that. All I'm saying is that I don't think that the system is the problem with him. If he fails this year, it will be his own doing...

Archived