• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Am I the only one in the divsion who thinks Saints arent anyones rivals?

malik

The Saints are not a rival in the sense ATL is, at least to me. A lot of that is because the rivalry between Atlanta and Charlotte goes beyond just football to the cities themselves.

ATL is like the big brother and CLT is the up-and-comer with a chip on their shoulder.

New Orleans is a rival somewhat b/c they are in our division, but there is no city to city rivalry. Partly b/c NO is too far away and New Orleans is a lot smaller.

Beyond that, it is hard to hate NO as a city or a team too much. The Saints sucked for so long, Brees is likeable, the city will never recover to what it once was not only pre-Katrina but even years ago when NO was actually a relevant city nationally.

I do kind of get tired of the "woe is me" cross the Saints have carried for 5 years now, but what else are you going to use to get hyped at living there? Besides Saints football and Mardi Gras, I don't what else you could possibly get geeked up about for very long.

NO as a city is like my old alcoholic fraternity brother who never grew out of it. Fun guy to party with, but you don't want to be around him at 30 the same way you did when you were 20.

NO is great city to visit and party, but I could not imagine living there in the winter. I guess that's why I can't hate on NO too much. I feel too bad for the people that have to live there year round.

I will give that the Saints and Falcons are rivals primarily because for years and years they played only to see who was the worst team in football, and who was the second worst. They still carry over some of that rivalry to this day, and if you ask fans of either fan base who their rival is, that answer will come up pretty quickly.

With that said, I've felt the last few years that the TB series has really gotten brutal, I think that someone could be carted to a morgue with how hard some of the hits are in those games.

New Orleans is tough to pull against after what they went through with Katrina and the way they rebounded. Plus, Drew Brees is such a likable guy.

New Orleans hasn't really been a threat in our division until a couple of years ago. Nobody hates the team that is the door mat every year.

Katrina really messed up things as as far as hate goes.. If you need a reason to hate on New Orleans outside of football, they did take the Hornets

That should be a good reason, but Charlotte apparently didnt care enough about the Hornets at that time that I barely call it a theft.

I do want the Hornets name back. I hated Shinn and wanted him out of town, but if any team in the NBA is going to be the Hornets, it should be in Charlotte.

Has anyone else noticed a lot of younger kids around town are wearing Charlotte Hornet hats by the way? I've noticed quite a few.

Heck, I even bought a Charlotte Hornets t-shirt from Old Navy last year. I guess just out of pure nostalia, but I did love the Charlotte Hornets.

Actually, just thinking about that is probably the only thing I could get upset at NO about... I would love for Jordan to negotiate a way to get the Hornets name back, especially since the league took over the Hornets

I do want the Hornets name back. I hated Shinn and wanted him out of town, but if any team in the NBA is going to be the Hornets, it should be in Charlotte.

Has anyone else noticed a lot of younger kids around town are wearing Charlotte Hornet hats by the way? I've noticed quite a few.

Heck, I even bought a Charlotte Hornets t-shirt from Old Navy last year. I guess just out of pure nostalia, but I did love the Charlotte Hornets.

Actually, just thinking about that is probably the only thing I could get upset at NO about... I would love for Jordan to negotiate a way to get the Hornets name back, especially since the league took over the Hornets

IMO, enough time has passed since the Hornets left that I can be nostalgic about it now. When they left, I balled up all the Hornets gear I had and threw it away, but recently I grabbed one of those Mitchell & Ness throwback hats just because it brings back some good memories.

I agree on the Hornets name... this is the Hornet's Nest, a nickname that dates all the way back to the war of independence. We could give Utah the Bobcats name, give NO back the Jazz name and take back the Hornets name.

Why would you hate new Orleans in winter? Hah...most people prefer it. It's brutal down there in the summer. As far as national relevance as a city, I'd say it is still relevant even after Katrina. Just it's status as a port alone, makes it relevant.

If you are talking about a rivalry based on the importance of a game, then that's going to change as teams change....but as far as a traditional rivalry it's saints falcons, and not even close as someone said.

The Saints are not a rival in the sense ATL is, at least to me. A lot of that is because the rivalry between Atlanta and Charlotte goes beyond just football to the cities themselves.

ATL is like the big brother and CLT is the up-and-comer with a chip on their shoulder.

New Orleans is a rival somewhat b/c they are in our division, but there is no city to city rivalry. Partly b/c NO is too far away and New Orleans is a lot smaller.

Beyond that, it is hard to hate NO as a city or a team too much. The Saints sucked for so long, Brees is likeable, the city will never recover to what it once was not only pre-Katrina but even years ago when NO was actually a relevant city nationally.

I do kind of get tired of the "woe is me" cross the Saints have carried for 5 years now, but what else are you going to use to get hyped at living there? Besides Saints football and Mardi Gras, I don't what else you could possibly get geeked up about for very long.

NO as a city is like my old alcoholic fraternity brother who never grew out of it. Fun guy to party with, but you don't want to be around him at 30 the same way you did when you were 20.

NO is great city to visit and party, but I could not imagine living there in the winter. I guess that's why I can't hate on NO too much. I feel too bad for the people that have to live there year round.

This is the PERFECT way to sum up New Orleans, LOL

The Saints-Falcons rivalry is the biggest in the division and it isn't really close.

This.... From my 8 years living in Atlanta I realized the lame falcon fans gets hyped for the aints like no other team they play.

I believe we look at Atlanta as our Biggest Rival, While Atlanta Fans like at NO as their biggest rivals.

I knew sooo many people in Atlanta who would travel to NO for their game, but no one ever wanted to go to Charlotte... even while we were the best team in the division.

Archived