• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Julius Peppers, No Problem.

chknwing

Peppers is probably the best de that has ever put on a Panther uniform. He is one of the top 5 in the league.

That being said, I am very happy with our defensive ends. Hardy was a steal as a 6 pick, and Charles Johnson has come into his own. Losing Peppers didn't really hurt us very much, if at all.

To be a Top 5 in the league, you actually have to play like it. You can't just be it because of the first part of your statement. This fanbase hasn't exactly seen many great DE's so I guess that's another reason why they overrate Peppers.

Also, FWIW, Reggie White is the greatest DE to ever put on a Panther's uniform. Obviously he didn't have his best days here, but still, to be correct on the technicalities. Although it appears we have a good many people here who would take Peppers over Reggie because, after all Peppers is a "freak"!!!

Peppers can be a very serious problem and you can bet he'll be jacked up for this game.

The good news is that Gross knows him better than he knows himself and can keep him contained. I'm sure Ron Meeks can make all kinds of suggestions on how to handle Peppers as well.

The last time we played Peppers, we had a QB who would turn tail and run the moment the play broke down, which is ABSOLUTELY the wrong thing to do against Peppers... This time we have a QB who is a bit of an athletic freak himself and will stand in the pocket and has the ability to scramble in a productive way when things break down.

We also have a coaching staff who is smart enough not to try to throw screen pass right over Peppers, that's his money play... not sure why you would EVER attempt that to the side of the field he's lined up on?

We also have weapons at TE and we make use of bubble screens, so we have the ability to get the ball out of Cam's hands fast.

All of these things, if executed correctly will go a long way in neutralizing the threat Peppers presents.

Newton vs Peppers intrigues me.

Peppers is certainly bigger (at least 40 pounds or more) but I doubt he's used to having QBs that can look him in the eye.

To be a Top 5 in the league, you actually have to play like it. You can't just be it because of the first part of your statement. This fanbase hasn't exactly seen many great DE's so I guess that's another reason why they overrate Peppers.

Also, FWIW, Reggie White is the greatest DE to ever put on a Panther's uniform. Obviously he didn't have his best days here, but still, to be correct on the technicalities. Although it appears we have a good many people here who would take Peppers over Reggie because, after all Peppers is a "freak"!!!

Panther fans are likely the only people who would argue he isn't a top 5 DE.

can't tell if that is sarcasm or not, but peppers is easily the best DE the panthers have had and he is easily top5, not only can he sack but he can chase swing passes and can INT screens how many DEs can do that honestly?

Panther fans are likely the only people who would argue he isn't a top 5 DE.

That's ironic, because i distinctly remember Panther's fans getting all fired up and defensive whenever fans of opposing teams laughed at us for thinking Julius Peppers was a Top 5 DE.

As I've said, his legend here is bigger than his performance, and I won't hold that against you guys. He was one of the first faces of this team, he's a Tarheel, so i can understand why people are so enamored with him, but if we are being realistic, then it really isn't fair to the Trent Cole's and Dwight Freeney's of the world to act like Peppers is in his own class when those guys outperform on a year by year basis.

can't tell if that is sarcasm or not, but peppers is easily the best DE the panthers have had and he is easily top5, not only can he sack but he can chase swing passes and can INT screens how many DEs can do that honestly?

lol...if you honestly just compared Julius Peppers to Reggie White, I'll just go ahead and put you on ignore now. As I said, Reggie may have not been at his best here, but if we are discussing who is the best DE to ever put on a Panther's uniform, Julius can't even hold Reggie's butt pads.

And most DE's can. That's their job in the modern NFL. Most DE's in today's NFl do that. Don't know where the concept comes from that Julius was the only DE in the league doing something besides rushing the passer. It's commonplace. Honestly.

That's ironic, because i distinctly remember Panther's fans getting all fired up and defensive whenever fans of opposing teams laughed at us for thinking Julius Peppers was a Top 5 DE.

As I've said, his legend here is bigger than his performance, and I won't hold that against you guys. He was one of the first faces of this team, he's a Tarheel, so i can understand why people are so enamored with him, but if we are being realistic, then it really isn't fair to the Trent Cole's and Dwight Freeney's of the world to act like Peppers is in his own class when those guys outperform on a year by year basis.

your full of it if you think cole and freeney are close or better then pep, i mean there good and all but freeney is nothing but a pass rusher and cole? really?

only person who comes close to peppers is prob ware

lol...if you honestly just compared Julius Peppers to Reggie White, I'll just go ahead and put you on ignore now. As I said, Reggie may have not been at his best here, but if we are discussing who is the best DE to ever put on a Panther's uniform, Julius can't even hold Reggie's butt pads.

And most DE's can. That's their job in the modern NFL. Most DE's in today's NFl do that. Don't know where the concept comes from that Julius was the only DE in the league doing something besides rushing the passer. It's commonplace. Honestly.

geuss if kerry collins turned out to be peyton manning he would be considered the best QB panthers have had right? since we drafted him and all?

Archived