• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Likely landing spots for Cutler

Mr. Scot

Peter King has some speculation on likely landing spots for Jay Cutler.

Bucs, Jets make most sense for Cutler

The Panthers are mentioned, but considered as unlikely. We have no first round pick, and word is that the Broncos will want at least that in return. And no, Julius Peppers isn't a suitable alternative, nor is Delhomme. McDaniels will want a 'franchise' type guy. Fans can fantasize all they want to, but realistically the Panthers are not in the mix (nor is it universally agreed that they should be). What's continually forgotten in this discussion is that the trade has to make good sense for the Broncos too.

Don Banks also has a good piece on it: All Cutler, all the time

No mention of the Panthers, but he points out that fanbases all over (including the Cowboys, Texans and Eagles, among others) are indulging in the same kind of "do anything to get him" scenarios as Panther fans.

My personal guess: He ends up with the Bucs. After which anytime he makes a statement to the press, the same folks who defended his character here will post "wow, he really is a whiny prick after all" :rolleyes:

The reasoning for the Bucs? They're already on record as having offered their first rounder and more (some Redskin-esque trading there given that they've already traded away their second) plus they have something of an inside connection.

New Bucs DC Jim Bates is the father or Cutler's former QB coach Jeremy Bates, the firing of whom prompted Cutler's initial trade request. Family connections have been known to play a part in more than one NFL transaction. Don't be surprised if that happens here too.

The Browns have also been heavily speculated, as have the Jets, who would kind of surprise me in one sense. The last time they took on a Bus Cook represented QB with attitude issues, it didn't end all that well. Still, they have a need and have things they can offer in return, so it's possible. The Lions, Titans and 49ers are also possibilities, especially since the 49ers could send over Alex Smith, someone head coach Josh McDaniels might believe he can rebuild (ditto Vince Young and Tennessee).

In the end though, like others, I expect to see him in Tampa.

While I expect him in Tampa, I don't think he's a good fit there. That really depends on the offense they use though, if they go pass heavy then he's a good fit, if not then no. He has bad numbers on third downs and in the redzone. So his best two downs would be gone on a run team. He needs to go to a team that's going to throw more then they run or will throw on first and 2 downs more times then not. Of all the teams that might go after him, I think his best fit would be with Cleavland, Offensive scheme wise. He would have the most Success with Cleavland's Offense's style. (will be similar to the jets last year.)

New York Daily News reports that Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum has officially told the Broncos that he's interested in trading for Cutler. And the Bucs are obviously interested since they tried already.

That makes two teams that have officially expressed interest. Anything else is speculative at this point.

Archived