• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Peppers taking paycut?

JefDav84

things aren't going to go the way he wants them to and i don't think he is going to get it.

he wanted to be the highest paid DE in the game.

he wants to play for any team he wants.

he wants to play in a 3-4.

he wants to disappear (from the public eye).

he wants control of his destiny.

he doesn't want to hurt the panthers (he said)

something is going to have to give. jolly ol' saint mick said "you can't always get what you want" and that is incredibly true with peppers situation.

truth is, though, that you aren't going to get anything if you don't get up of your couch and get to calling some teams and SIGN THAT TENDER.

i'm thinking that he and his agent jumped out of the ship a thousand miles from shore into a little boat without any oars. even if pep just sticks out his ears he's going to catch some wind. not sure they are going to figure that out, though.

currently it looks like peppers will get:

he wanted to be the highest paid DE in the game. YES

he wants to play for any team he wants. NO

he wants to play in a 3-4. NO

he wants to disappear (from the public eye). HELL NO

he wants control of his destiny. NO

he doesn't want to hurt the panthers (he said) YES

YOU put the LTBE incentives in there NOT ME. You quoted my post.Where do I say word 1 about LTBE? Why do you feel entitled to put words in others' mouths?

He doesn't have to put words in your mouth/keyboard or what ever. You said incentives, they come in three flavors, Signing bonuses/roster bonuses, LTBE and ULTBE. That's it, so your incentives have to be one of the three. He wouldn't accept a deal with ULTBE's in it, The LTBE would automaticaly count towards this years cap (so we wouldn't be saving anything this season) Roster bonuses and Signing bonuses once again wouldn't save us anything because it's a one year deal.

He wasn't putting words in your mouth, calm down.

If he wants out of Carolina within the next two years this might be the only way for it to happen. If he is fine with staying here and getting paid $37 million then he will do it but that goes agaisnt what he has said.

I don't think there is any way the Panthers will pay him $20 million in 2010. He knows this and so does his agent. So if he wants to walk after next year...he'll be able to.

I don't think there is any way the Panthers will pay him $20 million in 2010. He knows this and so does his agent. So if he wants to walk after next year...he'll be able to.

If 2010 is an uncapped year then paying him 20 million is no problem. Now 2011 is a different story as his tag would cost close to 30 million.

So they are UTBE incentives? If that's the case your post was more assinine than I originally thought.

The basis of the idea is a good idea and I admitted as much back how ever many weeks ago when you made the original post. Its not on me that your post was flawed and you were called out on it.

Next time, before you put words in my mouth saying I bombed your idea, take the foot out of mouth or whatever other body parts may be in there.

There's no such thing as "UTBE". Now , in addition to putting words in others mouth's, you make up terms. There are "likely to be earned" and everything else, often referred to as "not likely to be earned". From Football 101

Contracts can have incentive bonuses. These come in two important types: "Likely to be earned," and everything else often referred to as "Not likely to be earned." If you give Payton Manning a $1M bonus for being selected to the Pro Bowl, then this money will be considered "likely to be earned," as Payton is always selected to go to the pro bowl. Such bonus money counts against this year's cap starting right at the start of the year, even though the pro bowl voting isn't until well into the season.

On the other hand, if you had a clause in Payton's contract that gave him a $1M bonus for personally rushing for 10 or more TDs, this would be considered "Not likely to be earned," as Payton simply doesn't take off with the ball much. He rushes for perhaps a couple TDs a year. This money does not count against this year's cap. If you wind up paying this money, it counts against next year's cap. Whether a bonus is likely to be earned or not is decided by league lawyers, not by your team. However, there are rules and guidelines so that it's pretty easy to structure a payment such that it is or is not likely, depending on your need. Appendix 4 shows individual goals which are not likely to be earned.

Peppers would be an idiot if he were to simply give up 6-8 million in guaranteed money for the sake of FA next year as you suggest (but I see how you could think that possible). He might be willing to drop it for the possibility that he would earn it back through incentives such as, say 15 sacks next year? He's never done that so it would never be called "likely" which pushes the hit to 2010 IF he does it. Either way, Pep gets his Free agency and the Panthers get some effort out of him and cap room AND it's a deal more "likely" to be signed than some charity type scenario that you seem to think is possible.

Go back to fantasy football. You lack even the most basic understanding of the business side of the real game.

There's no such thing as "UTBE". Now , in addition to putting words in others mouth's, you make up terms. There are "likely to be earned" and everything else, often referred to as "not likely to be earned". From Football 101

Peppers would be an idiot if he were to simply give up 6-8 million in guaranteed money for the sake of FA next year as you suggest (but I see how you could think that possible). He might be willing to drop it for the possibility that he would earn it back through incentives such as, say 15 sacks next year? He's never done that so it would never be called "likely" which pushes the hit to 2010 IF he does it. Either way, Pep gets his Free agency and the Panthers get some effort out of him and cap room AND it's a deal more "likely" to be signed than some charity type scenario that you seem to think is possible.

Go back to fantasy football. You lack even the most basic understanding of the business side of the real game.

What in the fug is your problem? You are going to nick-pick over the words "unlikely" and "not likely". Is there a difference? Take the corn cob out of your ass and talk to me with at least a bit of personal respect or STFU.

And for the record, the rules regarding incentives have changed due to the possible uncapped year in 2010. So all incentives (LTBE) are counted agaisnt the cap imediately. So if Peppers signed a deal with an incentive of getting more than 15 sacks that would hit our cap in 2009. And before you say that getting more than 15 sacks would be unlikely read up on your own information. Peppers being a DE would make any incentive involving sacks LTBE. Now if the incentive was for TD's or INT's then they would be not likely. So no matter how you put it, Peppers isn't going to sign a contract if the incentives that were to be elurering to him were never going to be meet.

It is also okay for you to disagree with me on Peppers not taking a price cut. Thats your opinion and I'm not going to get all worked up because some poster on a message board doesn't agree with me 100%. I'm not sure a 1 year contract would be possible. What I posted was only a guess at what might be Peppers only way of becoming a FA without having to take a price cut on a long term deal.

What in the fug is your problem? You are going to nick-pick over the words "unlikely" and "not likely". Is there a difference? Take the corn cob out of your ass and talk to me with at least a bit of personal respect or STFU.

And for the record, the rules regarding incentives have changed due to the possible uncapped year in 2010. So all incentives (LTBE) are counted agaisnt the cap imediately. So if Peppers signed a deal with an incentive of getting more than 15 sacks that would hit our cap in 2009. And before you say that getting more than 15 sacks would be unlikely read up on your own information. Peppers being a DE would make any incentive involving sacks LTBE. Now if the incentive was for TD's or INT's then they would be not likely. So no matter how you put it, Peppers isn't going to sign a contract if the incentives that were to be elurering to him were never going to be meet.

It is also okay for you to disagree with me on Peppers not taking a price cut. Thats your opinion and I'm not going to get all worked up because some poster on a message board doesn't agree with me 100%. I'm not sure a 1 year contract would be possible. What I posted was only a guess at what might be Peppers only way of becoming a FA without having to take a price cut on a long term deal.

Don't worry about it. He totally nailed your azz on the original post, but couldn't let it go and totally screwed himself upon your rebuttal. You won, let it die...

If 2010 is an uncapped year then paying him 20 million is no problem. Now 2011 is a different story as his tag would cost close to 30 million.

Cap or no cap, making Peppers the highest paid player in all of football would be a problem especially if you're the one writing the checks.

Archived