• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gantt: Delhomme here to stay

Mr. Scot

You can't get a much clearer statement than this: Herald Online

Any deal for Delhomme will be done to keep him as the quarterback here for the next few years, not for short-term salary cap relief. I'm going to say that again, because the lunatic fringe has struggled to understand this offseason. They're going to do a deal with Jake because they want to keep him around.

That means no Jay Cutler, no Derek Anderson, no Byron Leftwich, no Brett Favre, no Vinny Testaverde and likely no Pat White. Take another deep breath. Try to accept it. It's hard, I know.

I've been getting bombarded by e-mails wanting to know why they aren't going after this guy or that guy. I'm going to say it one more time. It's because they've got their guy. Whether you think it's right or wrong doesn't matter. They've decided.

When (almost certainly not if) they extend him, they'll clear between $2 million and $3 million worth of room. That's probably enough to sign their draft class, even if they don't touch any of the other veteran contracts.

It's worth reading the whole thing, but this is the part that's most pertinent to the ongoing discussion here. It's been said before, but this is a clear summary from a guy with firsthand knowledge, and all the "what if" scenarios in the world aren't likely to change it.

You can like it, or not like it. Your choice, but as has been said many times, it is what it is.

How does he find all this time to "blog" when working the glory hole at BoA....lunatic fringe my ass. Perhaps those that realize what a shitastic QB we have...I wouldn't have a problem with a game manager type QB. Game manager type QB's don't single handidly lose fecking games.

*Adds Gantt to the list*

If our defense improves back to the defense of 2005 or 2006 we will be fine this year. I remember saying that if we scored more than 24 points against any team in 2006 we would have been in every game with the exception of 2. With our offense much improved and likely to score at least 25 points a game, there is no reason for us not to have a winning season and make the playoffs. We went 8-8 in 2006 scoring a paltry 17 points a game.

I really hope we never had a chance to land a better QB with trading Peppers. I don't ever want to know or hear anything like that. If I ever do, it's obvious this team isn't as focused as other teams are in making the big show.

I hate this. They need somebody to push Delhomme for the starting job. Since they don't have that, he knows no matter how bad he screws up, like throwing 5 picks in a playoff game, he won't get benched. If they're going to keep him around, they need to limit him to about 18 atempts a game. Anything more than that is asking for it. At some point they need to think about a replacement. Your starter is 34 and there seems to be no plan in place to groom an eventual replacement.

they love him there and Gantt's job is to pipe the sewage directly from the bowels of BofA and force-feed it to us like its gospel and like we are stupid for having an opposing opinion.

Delhomme needs to go. While some here can fabricate and loosely construct an argument that he is the reason for any relevance we hav realized as a franchise since hew was salvaged fromthe bench in NO, an argument can also be posed that shows why he is the clown that has held us back and limited the rest of the roster.

it's all perception and mine of him is not very positive

I really hope we never had a chance to land a better QB with trading Peppers. I don't ever want to know or hear anything like that. If I ever do, it's obvious this team isn't as focused as other teams are in making the big show.

The notion that a team isn't focused on winning it all just because they don't make moves that fans think they ought to make is patently ridiculous.

The team is absolutely focused on winning the Super Bowl. They just don't see eye to eye with some fans on the way to get it done.

In the end, they're the professionals. As I've said before, I'd never want them to worry about fan opinion when they make moves, mine included.

They'll succeed or fail based on their own skills or lack of them, but any coach or GM that factors fan ideas in his decision making is not someone I'd want in charge of my team.

Archived