• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gantt: Delhomme here to stay

Mr. Scot

Scottie, don't you think that it's a bit naive to think that what the fans think plays no part within the minds of the FO? They are as human as anybody?

Now, I am not saying that their decisions come down to what fans think, or even that they should, but what I am saying is that the FO is not immune to the feelings of their fan base, and as such the fans---whom the writers have a feel for----have an effect, though minuscule it may be.

Not if they're smart.

There's a saying among coaches that goes "listen to the fans and you'll wind up sitting with them" and it's a very true statement. For that matter, whatever your job may be, how seriously would you take advice about decisions that could make or break you from someone who'd never done your job and didn't know the things you know?

The team gives token respect to fan opinion, same as any team would (fan polls, call in shows, etc) but Lord help us all if they ever start listening. And yes, I think I know plenty about football having watched and analyzed it for coming up on forty years, but that's all from the outside. Anyone who's been on the inside would tell you the view looks a lot different.

The team braintrust has access to information that none of us would ever see. They deal with the players we only read about on a personal basis every day. They're in a much better position to make the decisions they need to make than any of us. Will they make mistakes? Sure, but likely nowhere near the mistakes one of us would make.

If they aren't immune to the feelings of their fanbase yet you don't think they should consider what the fans want when they make decisions on PLAYERS (not things in the stadium like beer prices, that has a direct impact on fan spending and they should consider fans' opinions on those things), why should they waste time considering the feelings of their fanbase? If fans don't want Michael Vick or some other criminal on their team, that's a valid topic to assess fan thought on...that's something that might cause some to revolt and dump their tickets, protest, etc. If fans don't like DeShaun Foster and scream about him on the internet, not so much.

Bottom line, I don't believe owners/GMs/coaches should think for a New York second about the fans opinions on who should be playing if they aren't criminals. They are there to put what they think it the best product on the field and to make money.

Certainly it is nice to have an owner who will listen (not DO ANYTHING but LISTEN) to the fans about players, but that's as far as it should go...nod & grin, thank them for their support.

Exactly.

Good point.

Certainly it is nice to have an owner who will listen (not DO ANYTHING but LISTEN) to the fans about players, but that's as far as it should go...nod & grin, thank them for their support.

Great-Stuff-250.jpg

Fan support is great. Fan approval is not necessary.

That's as good a statement as any I've seen :hurray:

Besides that, who - after reading this board - would come away with the idea that there's any sort of consensus among the fanbase over what ought to be done anyway? :willy_nilly:

Not if they're smart.

There's a saying among coaches that goes "listen to the fans and you'll wind up sitting with them" and it's a very true statement. For that matter, whatever your job may be, how seriously would you take advice about decisions that could make or break you from someone who'd never done your job and didn't know the things you know?

The team gives token respect to fan opinion, same as any team would (fan polls, call in shows, etc) but Lord help us all if they ever start listening. And yes, I think I know plenty about football having watched and analyzed it for coming up on forty years, but that's all from the outside. Anyone who's been on the inside would tell you the view looks a lot different.

The team braintrust has access to information that none of us would ever see. They deal with the players we only read about on a personal basis every day. They're in a much better position to make the decisions they need to make than any of us. Will they make mistakes? Sure, but likely nowhere near the mistakes one of us would make.

Outstanding post. We often forget that we know 2% of what our coaches and FO know.

Unless we can field a top 3 defense, we aren't ever going to win a Super Bowl with Delhomme. I've tried to conjure up some faith in the man but every time I do he goes out and shits the bed.

It's kind of good to know that we'll have Delhomme as our starting QB for the next couple of years...at least I can set my expectations of team goals appropriately and not be surprised when we get steamrolled in the playoffs...if we make it that far this year which we probably won't with everything else that is going on.

Unless we can field a top 3 defense, we aren't ever going to win a Super Bowl with Delhomme. I've tried to conjure up some faith in the man but every time I do he goes out and sh*ts the bed.

It's kind of good to know that we'll have Delhomme as our starting QB for the next couple of years...at least I can set my expectations of team goals appropriately and not be surprised when we get steamrolled in the playoffs...if we make it that far this year which we probably won't with everything else that is going on.

Me thinks that Delhomme and the new QB coach are going to surprise a few people next season.

If they aren't immune to the feelings of their fanbase yet you don't think they should consider what the fans want when they make decisions on PLAYERS (not things in the stadium like beer prices, that has a direct impact on fan spending and they should consider fans' opinions on those things), why should they waste time considering the feelings of their fanbase? If fans don't want Michael Vick or some other criminal on their team, that's a valid topic to assess fan thought on...that's something that might cause some to revolt and dump their tickets, protest, etc. If fans don't like DeShaun Foster and scream about him on the internet, not so much.

Bottom line, I don't believe owners/GMs/coaches should think for a New York second about the fans opinions on who should be playing if they aren't criminals. They are there to put what they think it the best product on the field and to make money.

I agree with this. Any monkey can read polls and make decisions based on those...following popular consensus. Great idea...not great results. You get a leader to make those decisions for you or your team to win games. If they can't do it, get someone who can.

Me thinks some one is not living in reality.......... :rolleyes:

No I recognize the fact that Delhomme can come in a throw for 3600-3800 yards and 24 or so td's with only 15 or so ints if he's needed to do so. I also recognize the fact that TJ surgery leads to inconsistency in the year after surgery. I'm not living in an alternate reality, I understand what Delhomme can do when he is completely healthy and not recovering from a career treating surgery. See 2004, 2005, 2006 and the start of 2007 as evidence of this fact.

Unless we can field a top 3 defense, we aren't ever going to win a Super Bowl with Delhomme. I've tried to conjure up some faith in the man but every time I do he goes out and poos the bed.

Delhomme plays QB like a guy going through rehab.

He will make you feel good about him when you see him making progress and really starting to shine, then it happens, he falls down and just breaks your heart completely.

No I recognize the fact that Delhomme can come in a throw for 3600-3800 yards and 24 or so td's with only 15 or so ints if he's needed to do so. I also recognize the fact that TJ surgery leads to inconsistency in the year after surgery. I'm not living in an alternate reality, I understand what Delhomme can do when he is completely healthy and not recovering from a career treating surgery. See 2004, 2005, 2006 and the start of 2007 as evidence of this fact.

Delhomme is in his twi-lite years. What youve seen out of him in the past is what you will continue to see this year. There wont be any suprises. You cant teach an old dog new tricks. It just aint gonna happen.

Delhomme is in his twi-lite years. What youve seen out of him in the past is what you will continue to see this year. There wont be any suprises. You cant teach an old dog new tricks. It just aint gonna happen.

Tell that to Warner who was considered washed up a few years ago with his thumb injury and relegated to back-up status. Then Leinert sucks and Warner comes in and he is suddenly one of the hottest quarterbacks in the league again. You can't predict the future.

Archived