• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dontari Poe DT

KDawg004

• 1 month later...

Yea, I've seen that too. I think that's too high, but I'd love to get him in the second. I've seen some crazy mocks though, I don't take half of them seriously. One had us taking that OLB from Georgia (the one that fits best in a 3-4). Another had Dwight Jones (WR UNC) taken #4 (first WR taken). And these are all mocks updated within December, not outdated or anything. Crazy stuff.

Yea, I've seen that too. I think that's too high, but I'd love to get him in the second. I've seen some crazy mocks though, I don't take half of them seriously. One had us taking that OLB from Georgia (the one that fits best in a 3-4). Another had Dwight Jones (WR UNC) taken #4 (first WR taken). And these are all mocks updated within December, not outdated or anything. Crazy stuff.

Yea, typically I see Poe taken at the bottom of the 1st.. so not as crazy as some of the stuff you just said.. but still. I can't see a DT from Memphis going in the Top 5. I could be wrong because I have never seen him play.

I suppose the Panthers need to figure out their identity on defense. If they run the typical Johnson d from Philly, the 4 quick lineman is the recipe. Putting a Kemo in the middle might destroy some of the pass rushing abilities needed for that kind of d.

The best Johnson d was the one with a big MLB that they ran about 10 yrs ago. I think it was Trotter.

So 4 quick lineman, two quick OLB's and one big MLB.

So again, what kind of D are we going for?

I think it's mostly based off his measurables. He's like 6'4 350 lbs according to some reports (ESPN's draft tracker lists him at 330, but that's almost always outdated) and supposedly really quick for his size. I still can't find any videos of him on the field. Which I take as a bad sign. I'd still take him in the 2nd in a heartbeat or maybe even in the 1st if we traded down and picked up a second 1st round pick, but not with our first pick.

On a related note, his situation reminds me a bit of Phil Taylor's last year, and he's doing well in Cleveland. I didn't watch the whole Steelers game tonight, but what I did watch showed Taylor playing well.

I suppose the Panthers need to figure out their identity on defense. If they run the typical Johnson d from Philly, the 4 quick lineman is the recipe. Putting a Kemo in the middle might destroy some of the pass rushing abilities needed for that kind of d.

The best Johnson d was the one with a big MLB that they ran about 10 yrs ago. I think it was Trotter.

So 4 quick lineman, two quick OLB's and one big MLB.

So again, what kind of D are we going for?

Probably the Rivera defense. Beason is our middle linebacker for a long time, and he's not that big, so we can't fit the mold you described. I'd like to have at 1 big immovable object in the middle to collapse pockets and let the UT be the quicker guy. McClain seems well suited for that role, just needs some conditioning training.

Here is the article on switching to the 3-4 defense in the future.. I think we start picking up the pieces to transition to the 3-4.. it says we are keeping the 4-3 base defense (for this year). So Poe could be the NT we are looking for.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/15755796/rivera-plans-more-34-defense-from-panthers

now the switch doesn't seem so laughable.. good find..

Here is the article on switching to the 3-4 defense in the future.. I think we start picking up the pieces to transition to the 3-4.. it says we are keeping the 4-3 base defense (for this year). So Poe could be the NT we are looking for.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/15755796/rivera-plans-more-34-defense-from-panthers

Really good find.

It almost seems like we've already been picking up pieces for the 3-4, even this year.

Ron Edwards, played NT.

Thomas Keiser, played a 3-4 in college, can either be OLB or DE in a 3-4.

Applewhite, played a 3-4 in San Diego, and has played all LBs in the 3-4.

Fua, played NT in a 3-4 in college.

I don't think those moves are coincidence.

This is what I've been thinking for the past month. His size is unreal but I havent seen him play. I have read scouting reports on him which actually says he isnt an ideal nose tackle though. A couple reports both agree that despite his size he is better to be used as a penetrating DT and a NT that can consistently hold two blockers at bay.

Really good find.

It almost seems like we've already been picking up pieces for the 3-4, even this year.

Ron Edwards, played NT.

Thomas Keiser, played a 3-4 in college, can either be OLB or DE in a 3-4.

Applewhite, played a 3-4 in San Diego, and has played all LBs in the 3-4.

Fua, played NT in a 3-4 in college.

I don't think those moves are coincidence.

Ron Edwards was generally perceived to be playing out of scheme in the 3-4. Keiser, I got nothing. Maybe coincidence, maybe for adaptability since we're going to use 3-4 occasionally. Applewhite, he's a guy Rivera was familiar with. Just so happened to be in a 3-4 that Rivera was familiar with him. Fua can't play NT in a 3-4 in the pros. I think just about everyone knows that.

I think we're going to be doing just what the Rivera said, no more. Occasional looks at the 3-4, but still a base 4-3. Similar to what Arizona used to do. Maybe we'll also build more toward a 3-4 for years down the road, like what Arizona has been doing. But I don't expect to see a majority of 3-4 looks anytime soon. We just don't have the linemen for it unless you neuter CJ and Hardy by making them 3-4 DEs and that's taking away our best weapons on defense. CJ + Hardy as 4-3 DEs >>>> Applewhite + Keiser as 3-4 OLBs.

Archived