• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A Look Into 2012

NJPanthers12

The main reason I talk about trading Smith is because of his contract numbers next year. We are going to have to make some moves there. Of course we can extend his contract, but will he still demand elite money? Also, I truly believe a team will give a high draft pick for him (late 1st or early 2nd). With all that said, Gettis is surely an up and coming star receiver.

The main reason I talk about trading Smith is because of his contract numbers next year. We are going to have to make some moves there. Of course we can extend his contract, but will he still demand elite money? Also, I truly believe a team will give a high draft pick for him (late 1st or early 2nd). With all that said, Gettis is surely an up and coming star receiver.

your ideas are horrendous

Trying to trade Smith would be stupid. This team needs so many things it's hard to even know where to start.

Number one priority should be getting some play makers on defense. This defense is one of the worst I have seen for the Panthers. We need help at pretty much every level but I would like to see upgrades at Safety and Corner. If we had a straight out play maker like Troy P. for Pitt. roaming around the backfield it would make a huge difference. I know that's a pipe dream because Troy is a one in a ten year player but we need someone with some talent in the backfield so we can stop these high powered offensive teams.

We also need to fix the O-line, they are flat out horrible in pass protection and run blocking. Gross is declining and needs to be moved to RT, we need a LT that is going to keep Cam off his back without having 2-3 holding calls every game. The O-line needs to be completely over hauled in my opinion.

Special teams are the worst I have ever seen, we got lucky on a return today but there play up to this point has been putrid, complete overhaul is needed.

As far as Thomas Davis and Beason, as much as I hate to admit it we need to cut Thomas Davis and if everyone is thinking that Beason will be the Beason of old, I am sorry but he will be lucky to be 50-75% of what he has been. I am not trying to be negative but just being realistic, you don't recover 100% from that type of injury.

We are still 2-3 years from a competitive team. Fox and Hurney have set this team way back with the stupid trade ups that got us nothing.

Like I said I'm not trying to be negative but just realistic. I would say minimum 3 years if we draft quality players and make some quality additions in free agency.

We need to put Steve Smith on the trading block in the off-season. See how much he is worth.

Let me get this right, you want to cut Otah and trade Smitty? Don't quit your day job. Otah is the best OL we have, and his cap hit is only a little over 1 mil next year.

We couldn't even get a 3rd for Smitty this year, what makes you think a team will give up a 1st for a 32 year old WR? Smitty will be extended, as he should.

Let me get this right, you want to cut Otah and trade Smitty? Don't quit your day job. Otah is the best OL we have, and his cap hit is only a little over 1 mil next year.

We couldn't even get a 3rd for Smitty this year, what makes you think a team will give up a 1st for a 32 year old WR? Smitty will be extended, as he should.

I think it's debatable whether Otah is our best o-lineman, but the guy hadn't been healthy since his rookie year. I wouldn't trade Smith for a third, but if someone gave something more, we would have to consider it.

I can't imagine a team giving a late 1st or early 2nd for Smith. They would get better value just drafting a young guy at WR at that point... The only team that would do that would be a team desperate for a WR that thinks they are one WR away from winning it all, and I don't think such a team really exists.

I can't imagine a team giving a late 1st or early 2nd for Smith. They would get better value just drafting a young guy at WR at that point... The only team that would do that would be a team desperate for a WR that thinks they are one WR away from winning it all, and I don't think such a team really exists.

Maybe the Texans or the Chargers. The biggest thing with Smitty is his contract. How are we going to handle that? Will he take a contract that is less than elite money? If he does, there's no question he stays. Yet if he doesn't, and I believe he would be justified by not taking a lesser contract, they may have to move him depending on how they handle the cap situation.

Maybe the Texans or the Chargers. The biggest thing with Smitty is his contract. How are we going to handle that? Will he take a contract that is less than elite money? If he does, there's no question he stays. Yet if he doesn't, and I believe he would be justified by not taking a lesser contract, they may have to move him depending on how they handle the cap situation.

Why would the Texans or the Chargers give up a late 1st/early 2nd for him? Just doesn't make sense. Texans aren't exactly hurting for a WR, and Chargers could be after next year but they seem more likely to draft once since they no longer seem like they are in immediate title contention.

Last season Smitty was injured for most of the year and had one of his worst seasons ever. In the offseason he practically begged the team for a trade. Result: the team did everything possible to convince him to stay.

Now he's on board and having one of his best seasons in years. Do you think there's any chance at all the FO does a complete 180 and tries to trade him?

IMO, we have six games left to see what Hogan can do. We have to find out if he can be a #2. My thinking is that Rivera is impressed with what he can do on the practice field, but does not want to put him in games so as to protect him. I hope I am right because that would be one less need we need to address.

Other quick thoughts. Hangman is a quality BACK-UP, not a starter. Bell is scary good. Because I think he can be good, but he scares me. I WANT Gettis to be a solid #2, but I am not ready to just hand it to him. (But I do believe he and Lafell are both very capable WRs. Just not sure capable is good enough.) I am of the belief Shockey will be back, but we need a TE to groom.

Defensively, if Edwards can play that helps a ton, but we need somebody that can make McClain and Sua rotational players. LBs is the scariest position because we really do not know what we have. IF the Beast is back, we can get by. But to get to that next level we need a playmaker to add to him and Anderson. Which brings us to safety. I like Godfrey more each year. So bringing in a FS with SKILLS would round out our D.

Short story long. IF Beason and Edwards return to form, we really only need a good DT, an OLB, and a strong FS for our D to be respectable. BUT I still believe we need a strong

RG, and a true #2 WR for the O. Which would leave us with upgrading five positions through FA and the draft.

The draft is for the future, whereas a FA is for the now. So if we ignore FA and go with the draft, that means we are still in rebuild mode. And that means another year or two before we are competitive.

Too many of our back-ups are starting, and we have a few starters who should be back-ups. Which disrupts our STs. With a few upgrades to the starting lineup, our back-ups go back to being back-ups. Which will add to the overall depth, and improve the ST.

Sorry for the length, just got carried away. And GOOOOO CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived