• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurricanes Relieve Paul Maurice of Coaching Duties

RedMage138

RALEIGH, NC – Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has relieved Paul Maurice of his duties as head coach. The team will announce a new head coach later today.

Maurice completes his second stint with the Hurricanes with a career NHL coaching record of 460-457-167. He served 920 games behind the bench for the Hurricanes organization, going 384-391-14

And what kind of team will that be?

“Very aggressive,” Muller said without hesitating.

“You have to be good defensively, you have to be good without the puck,” he added. “But since the lockout and no red line, you’ve got to be able to score and you’ve got to be able to score at the right time. So I really stress for the guys to be a very aggressive forechecking team, and I tell my forwards that if they want to play here they gotta work … they’ve got to be workers and do a lot of skating and tracking down and heavy forecheck.”

Muller laughed when I suggested he wants his guys to play just like he did, earning the well-deserved nickname “Kirk is Work”.

“Everyone has to know how to play without the puck, but when it’s a turnover I want it to be a real quick transitional team that’s aggressive,” he said. “And I challenge the guys that even if you feel like you’re a defensive defenceman or a defensive forward, I think everyone’s capable of offence and trying to get everybody involved.

“I just feel it comes down to one word at this level, and it’s accountability. If you can get a bunch of guys that are willing to play for each other and understand that there’s no free passes and you’ve got to earn your ice and be accountable, then I’m going to be totally fair to everybody. If you work and you play hard, then you’ll play. I said: ‘It’s a two-way door. I’m here to communicate with you guys, but don’t come see me if you’re not ready for the answer. But you’ll always know where you stand, and I’ll be honest with you.’ I think it’s all about communicating with your guys.”

http://www.montrealgazette.com/touch/story.html?id=5589763

Archived