• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

You knew it was coming

TheOracle

Anyone thinking Bill Polian would fit here again needs to brush up on their history.

Polian and Jerry Richardson did not mesh together at all. The two of them had a huge personality clash. And when Polian ultimately left, Jerry wasn't exactly teary-eyed at his departure.

Even if our GM job was open right now, Polian would not be a candidate.

Are you trying to say that people that get surrounded by security and immediately removed from the employer's property are not usually considered to be rehired by that employer?

Anyone thinking this is an idiot. Polian will most likely be working for ESPN and Chris will end up somewhere...maybe even with Brian in Stanford.

...and anyone who continues to trash the Polians are pieces of sh*t who have no respect for the game and look the the Peyton situation as his only smart move. Get over his time in Carolina and remove the foot from thine asshole. They are actually quite stand up people so stfu about this "Polians are garbage" crap.

This is unenlightened garbage
prepare to be enlightened.

btw..i make no apologies for posting this in the 4th thread about polian. it needs it.

i started a thread a few weeks back about some of the things that was going on inside indy and how polian never wanted dungy as coach.

cut and pasted for your reading pleasure:

pretty interesting read...esp. considering those who wish that polian had stuck around here.

The only Colts coach Polian has ever hired was Jim Mora Sr. The marriage ended badly, with Polian firing Mora after he refused to dimiss his then-defensive coordinator, Vic Fangio, following the 2001 season. Today, Fangio coordinates Jim Harbaugh's San Francisco 49ers defense, which ranks No. 1 in the NFL. Mora Sr. still has not spoken a word to Polian since their break-up ten years ago.

After Mora, the common myth is that Polian then hired former Tampa Bay head coach Tony Dungy. Not true. Polian never had any intention of hiring Dungy back in 2002. It was Colts owner Jim Irsay who wanted Dungy despite Polian's protests. To make the situation work, Irsay and Polian went to Tampa, met with Dungy, and worked things out. The rest is history, as they say.

Phil Wilson of the Indianapolis Star spoke about the hiring of Dungy yesterday on an Indianapolis radio show:

It's always been speculated that Polian wanted to hire Nick Saban as the Colts head man after Mora was canned. Some of you might not know this, but Saban was who Polian wanted to hire in 1998. The deal never materialized. Polian settled for Mora.

As Phil Wilson astutely points out, the problem with keeping the Polians around is, quite simply, many coaches don't want to work for them. The Polians have an awful reputation in league circles for being insufferable pricks (they act that way with everyone, not just media), and they are known as meddlers. They will want full control over the roster, and they will also want the next head coach to retain some of the current assistants working under Caldwell.

Wilson explains to radio personality Dan Dakich on his show yesterday:

Look, we continue to beat this drum, and we will do so until Jim Irsay opens his eyes and realizes the obvious: Bill Polian and his useless sons must be purged from the front office at the end of the season. I don't know how Jim Irsay could sell to the fanbase that soon-to-be-thrice-fired Norv Turner is going to lead the Colts to a championship. And since it seems unlikely that any sort of credible head coach would ever come to Indy and deal with the overbearing asshats who currently run the front office, the question is: Why keep them?

Why keep the Polians? How do they help? How do they improve the quality of the franchise?

Their recent draft record is horrible. They spurn free agency. They can't hire quality coaches. People around the league refer to them as 'toxic.'

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/12/16/2640456/bill-polian-did-not-want-to-hire-tony-dungy-in-2002-might-want-norv

btw...if you're wondering about that "toxic" quote:

As pointed out by Brad Wells of StampedeBlue.com via email and Jason Whitlock of FOXSports.com via Twitter, Bob Kravitz of the Indianapolis Star has crafted a compelling case for blaming the team’s current struggles on the son of Vice Chairman Bill Polian.

Based on interviews with several unnamed former Colts employees conducted in recent weeks, Kravitz writes that G.M. Chris Polian is a “toxic force who has brought this franchise to its knees for reasons other than Peyton Manning’s injury.” Apart from Chris Polian’s decisions as the man in charge of personnel, Kravitz explains that damage was done as Chris Polian stood on his father’s shoulders to leapfrog others on the organizational chart.

ince he started moving up the organizational ladder in the early 2000s for no apparent reason other than being a Polian,” Kravtiz writes, “he has been instrumental in hastening the exits of scouts and assistant coaches who led the Colts to previous greatness.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/06/chris-polian-catching-more-blame-for-the-state-of-the-colts/

and i'll ask the same question...when was the last time he had a good draft? '06?

polian's personality clashes with most people, esp. his bosses.

But at least he doesn't throw chairs at them. Only at agents.

The guy he was said to have gotten physical with a few years back...I think was either a reporter or photographer. I'd have to look it up.

If people want to know the actual situation:

Irsay wanted his team back bottom line. Polian had appointed Chris to GM without much consulting, pissed off a good deal of the fan base, and along with that kept in the FO acting like he was the owner. its because Irsay is a soft soft guy who until this past week did next to nothing within that organization. Bill is an owner in disguise as a GM which requires working for an owner like Irsay. Irsay saw this as an opportunity to get his team back and did just so.

BTW, don't be surprised if Peyton is propped up into management starting next year with Irsay becoming a GM/Owner a la Jerry Jones for a season or 2 but I'm not making a declaration other than yep...Peyton is actually done playing.

there's a bit more than what you are seeing and there has been for a long time. check my above post.

But at least he doesn't throw chairs at them. Only at agents.

The guy he was said to have gotten physical with a few years back...I think was either a reporter or photographer. I'd have to look it up.

saw comments form a couple colts beat reporters talking about polian's potty mouth in the press box at games. supposedly it was really bad.

prepare to be enlightened.

btw..i make no apologies for posting this in the 4th thread about polian. it needs it.

i started a thread a few weeks back about some of the things that was going on inside indy and how polian never wanted dungy as coach.

cut and pasted for your reading pleasure:

pretty interesting read...esp. considering those who wish that polian had stuck around here.

btw...if you're wondering about that "toxic" quote:

and i'll ask the same question...when was the last time he had a good draft? '06?

I mentioned the Chris situation was bad but it wasn't about them being tough to work with or some articles trying to defame the Polians. Those articles are off base from my side of things because you just don't know my perspective on the situation.

Do people even realize he still lives in Charlotte and is still on decent terms with JR? Probably not.

Did people realize that at the last GM/owners meeting, Polian, Goodell, and Richardson sat down and had an extensive meeting about the future of the game and are all quite friendly with each other to this day? Probably not

Its an unfortunate situation in Indy but people trying to turn it into some nostalgic "hate on Polian" thread are hating fierce

Yeah, what they tried to do by propping Chris up wasn't smart, but that's how you play the game. This would have been no problem if Bill would have retired instead of staying with the organization another year for transitional purposes with Chris.

I mentioned the Chris situation was bad but it wasn't about them being tough to work with or some articles trying to defame the Polians. Those articles are off base from my side of things because you just don't know my perspective on the situation.

Do people even realize he still lives in Charlotte and is still on decent terms with JR? Probably not.

Did people realize that at the last GM/owners meeting, Polian, Goodell, and Richardson sat down and had an extensive meeting about the future of the game and are all quite friendly with each other to this day? Probably not

Its an unfortunate situation in Indy but people trying to turn it into some nostalgic "hate on Polian" thread can seriously go f*ck themselves.

Yeah, what they tried to do by propping Chris up wasn't smart, but that's how you play the game. This would have been no problem if Bill would have retired instead of staying with the organization another year for transitional purposes with Chris.

It's a lot easier to have a good relationship with someone you normally clash with when you don't have to work together on a regular basis.

When he was here, Richardson used to have to do things like writing "C A L M" in big letters on a card and passing it to Polian during a negotiation.

Their respective styles just don't mesh. On the flipside, Richardson and Marty Hurney get along great.

It's a lot easier to have a good relationship with someone you normally clash with when you don't have to work together on a regular basis.

When he was here, Richardson used to have to do things like writing "C A L M" in big letters on a card and passing it to Polian during a negotiation.

Their respective styles just don't mesh. On the flipside, Richardson and Marty Hurney get along great.

I understand that. I was trying to get at the fact that even though JR and Bill have completely different styles and didn't mesh well....but they still have a mutual respect and are on decent terms.

Danny & Hurney together fit very well imo with JR from the business side of things so we're fine and need no changes anytime soon inthat regard.

Archived