• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What do I do with my 16 year old?

Darth Biscuit

Driver's Ed?

I know I was nervous to drive with my Father. (Nothing I ever did was good enough for him.) Driver's Ed was much better. (This was offered as part of High School, back then. Some schools do, so don't these day due to cost and liability.)

Either that or a hooker. That will boost his confidence!

Is he timid just because you're with him?

To me it's better if he's timid and unsure rather than be foolishly confident.

Exactly what I was thinking. From my experience this is not typical of teenage boys and driving. I mean you want him to know what he's doing but not be over confident. Try to keep whatever is making him overcautious while being sure he knows the rules and how to operate the vehicle.

Why don't you let him decide when he's ready to drive? I'll explain momentarily...

Back in my day you took Driver Ed as soon as you turned 16, it was curriculum and it was during the school day and you didn't have to pay for anything. But I waited until my junior year because I had a plan to graduate early and my class load was jammed up. Anyway, I was a year behind all my friends, no big deal, it's not like I had everywhere in the world to go.

So I graduate 6 mos. early, join the Navy when most of my classmates were just donning cap & gown, and I'm off to Viet Nam. Anyway, I spent about 6 months overseas and didn't get my license and buy my first car until I was 19. Circumstance- yes, timing- yes, but also that's when I decided I was ready.

Have a sit down with your boy and talk about your concerns and allow him to assess his own skills- he may be tougher on himself than you think. Then let him give you an idea as to where he is with all this. The most important thing is for everyone to be on the same page. You can't be wanting to run a draw play and he's thinking a go-route...know what I mean?

Driver's Ed?

I know I was nervous to drive with my Father. (Nothing I ever did was good enough for him.) Driver's Ed was much better. (This was offered as part of High School, back then. Some schools do, so don't these day due to cost and liability.)

Either that or a hooker. That will boost his confidence!

When I took drivers Ed, the instructor who rode around with us in the practice car was this old fat guy (but very nice). He recited the entire Rocky saga of the 6 or 12 hours we were in the car with him. In other words he never stopped talking. It drove me crazy because the girl who was my driving buddy was really hot and that was my opportunity to get to know her!

My son hit 2 cars within the first month of having his license. Both occured while backing up which was his problem even when learning. First one he scraped up the side of a car by turning to early while backing out of a parking spot. $1,400 out of pocket to fix their car to keep it off our insurance.

2nd one was when he backed into his mom's new car while trying to leave the driveway. Her car only had 500 miles on it at the time.

He is off at college now and doesn't have his car with him but even now when he comes home he will not park in a parking spot where he has to back out and parks his car in the street. He is such a p*ssy.

There are so many kids that do not get their license on time nowadays and a lot of that has to do with the economy and not having a car/gas money so it's not like he will be the only kid without one. I wouldn't let him on the road until you both are comfortable and he would probably appreciate it. It's better than him getting in a wreck and having something horrific happen.

I would wait, until you and he both think he is ready. This is not a town for a timid unsure driver. there are enough nuts out there already. My middle son, who is now 21, still doesn't have his license. He sees all his fridns getting hit, or hitting other people, and has decided that he doesn't want to deal with that until he needs to. He rides his bike to work, and school, and manages just fine. HE does plan to get it soon now however. I little extra maturity/ experience behind the wheel never hurts, especially here in New Hanover county. Also, once he gets his license, insurgence is going through the roof. Which is another reason my son has waited, because I won't pay for it.

Some good advice above... I've actually tried most of it... he's driven with me, my wife, my dad and my mom. All with pretty much the same results.

Where is he driving? I know you live where he needs to be good in traffic, but it might help to let him get some miles in the country. Just some time behind the wheel with less to think about.

He's driven with me and my dad out in the country so that's not really it either... traffic is bad here at times, but down where we live, he can drive around without too much traffic issues.

I'll have to see... even if I do let him get his license now, he won't be driving alone for a while, so don't worry about that.

Archived