• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What do I do with my 16 year old?

Darth Biscuit

So my oldest just turned 16... and he can get his license in two weeks. He's had his permit since last January and I've been letting him drive as much as I can. Problem is he's terrible at it... timid, unsure and still struggles with basic stuff.

I'm not comfortable with him driving yet... but don't know what to do with him.

I can and have taught him everything he needs to know but I can't get the hesitation out of him..

Suggestions?

I was the same way, it just took experience to get over it. I had an accident a month after I got my license (dog ran out in front of me). If he is anything like I was, he just needs to spend time behind the wheel to get comfortable. I haven't had any accident or stress behind the wheel since then - that was 1999.

Is he just nervous or is he reckless because of maturity issues? I'm not trying to be a jerk, please don't take it the wrong way. But waiting a few years will probably be a good idea for a young rebel driver.

Trust me I'm not offended ... he's actually pretty mature and he's very smart. He's just really unsure with this... I've tried being ultra patient, I've tried making him be aggressive, nothing seems to work. I even sent him to my dad and let him work with him.

I have no problem not letting him get his license or more likely I'm probably going to let him get it (if he passes) and put severe restrictions on him until he improves.

I just don't know how to improve his driving.

I wish I had some advice but I thought I was Richard Petty as soon as I got my permit - even had the Dodge Charger.

My daughter was pretty confident too.

You know it's better to be a bit timid starting off than too aggressive, although it has a tendency to cause havoc at 4 way stop signs and the like. Waht kind of "basis stuff" is he having issues with?

Archived