• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What do I do with my 16 year old?

Darth Biscuit

I am a drivers license examiner in Hickory... I would be willing to take him out for a spin after work one day or even on a Saturday. Most kids his age want to drive but lack the confidience.

If there is anything I can do to help just let me know!

I am a drivers license examiner in Hickory... I would be willing to take him out for a spin after work one day or even on a Saturday. Most kids his age want to drive but lack the confidience.

If there is anything I can do to help just let me know!

Thanks man, but we're down in Wilmington. Any tips you can give would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Update:

Right after I made this thread, I sat down with him and his mom and we basically gave him an ultimatum... either practice more and learn to drive to the point that we're satisfied with your ability, and get your license, or you're not going anywhere/doing anything that we have to give you a ride to.

He apparently took this to heart... he drove like everyday and really improved his ability. I'm pretty impressed...

I took him Tuesday and let him get his license, and he drove himself to school for the first time yesterday. I think he realized there's a lot to do out there and he better get his poo in gear if he wanted to do it... I'm still gonna be pretty restrictive with his driving, but at least he put the effort in to do better... :D

I don't think it's nervous because of who it is, I think he's just nervous/scared because he's unsure of his ability... but no, there are no cool uncles or anything... my wife's brother is kinda weird.

I guess I could send him out to my dad's to drive his golf cart around... that's actually a great idea.

I used to work on a golf course so I drove carts around often. I had my license before I started working there, but backing 30-50 carts a day into tight parking spots helped my backing and parallel parking skills tremendously.

This reminded me of when I got my license. Sat in the f*cking DMV on Market and Station Rd for hours, finally got to the point where I could take the test. Went out to the car with the driving dude, and my mom's tail light was out.

Had to go again the next day and wait another century to take the test. Those places take too damn long.

Best thing for me was gran tourismo. I learned a lot about driving dynamics. Though I wasn't a street racer, I did become very mindful of what my inputs did to my vehicle. I also has friends who tried to rally race and flipped their cars. Good luck!

Archived