• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Total Meltdown Scenario... presented by WFNZ

L-TownCat

what shockey may lack because of age he more than makes up for with his fire and veteran leadership. no way the team lets him go for some unproven milquetoast when cam and the team are so clearly bent on getting guys who are passionate about winning.

A few of you watch a different NFL than I do.

• Shockey has missed an average of 2.4 games per year in his career. If that is injury prone, then so are Beason, Wharton, and Steve Smith, not to mention the obvious ones like TD and Otah. Does Smith carry the injury prone label? Does Wharton?
  • Gary Barnidge in his illustrious 4 year career has 242 yards with no TD's, and averages over 4 games missed per year due to injury. Yet some on here think it is a given he is going to produce better than Shockey when given a chance. What are you basing your opinions on? It certainly isn't the facts.
  • Shockey put up 455 yards with 4 TD's, splitting catches with Olsen. Between the two of them, they put up more than 1000 receiving yards with a rookie QB. I don't want to break that tandem up unless we replace one of them with a superstar TE.

If some of you don't like Shockey due to his age or contract that is fine as it is a matter of opinion. But don't try to throw around BS about his or Barnidge's performance on the field and expect to come off as credible.

why are you people obsessed with either of these players?

Moss can no longer separate and was basically cut from three teams his last year in the league.

Jeremy Shockey can no longer separate from anything and is a glorified 6th lineman. The Panthers could easily replace his production with a late round blocking tight end.

but noooo something something attitude goo goo ga ga

I remember when Fiz used to make his troll-baits less obvious...

oh and when he used to make sense.

A few of you watch a different NFL than I do.

[*]Shockey has missed an average of 2.4 games per year in his career. If that is injury prone, then so are Beason, Wharton, and Steve Smith, not to mention the obvious ones like TD and Otah. Does Smith carry the injury prone label? Does Wharton?

and some of you simply haven't watched Shockey and are just looking at his game logs. You can be crippled by injuries AND suit up for games. He consistantly has been plagued by injuries his entire career. Rarely healthy.

sorry, but you can't claim to watch Shockey and then state injuries haven't been a major issue throughout his NFL career.

what shockey may lack because of age he more than makes up for with his fire and veteran leadership. no way the team lets him go for some unproven milquetoast when cam and the team are so clearly bent on getting guys who are passionate about winning.

Shockey's fire and "vet leadership" is also what got him shipped out of NY....a team that has 2 rings since he left.

Sure the team can let him go......too much talent at TE these days. Too easy to find bigger, faster, stronger, younger than Shockey. Shockey served his role. Now his spot needs to be upgraded. Chud's scheme is too good to settle for Shockey......Chud wants a better TE.

Shockey's fire and "vet leadership" is also what got him shipped out of NY....a team that has 2 rings since he left.

Sure the team can let him go......too much talent at TE these days. Too easy to find bigger, faster, stronger, younger than Shockey. Shockey served his role. Now his spot needs to be upgraded. Chud's scheme is too good to settle for Shockey......Chud wants a better TE.

So let's go back 10 years to what happened in NY and make a judgement on that, rather than what we have observed here in the last year?

So you want a better TE, okay. Now, tell me where you are going to get the next Tony Gonzalez, or Antonio Gates or Rob G. Draft? FA? Why make this a priority when we have problems much more serious to fix?

And I know, or at least hope, you aren't saying that Gary Barnidge is destined to be a better player than Shockey. He could, certainly, but there is nothing in his body of work to suggest that is the case.

So let's go back 10 years to what happened in NY and make a judgement on that, rather than what we have observed here in the last year?

So you want a better TE, okay. Now, tell me where you are going to get the next Tony Gonzalez, or Antonio Gates or Rob G. Draft? FA? Why make this a priority when we have problems much more serious to fix?

And I know, or at least hope, you aren't saying that Gary Barnidge is destined to be a better player than Shockey. He could, certainly, but there is nothing in his body of work to suggest that is the case.

EXACTLY my point. You are too focused on what Shockey did 1 yr suited up as a Panther. His history does nothing but suggest that kind of year is NOT the norm for him. Also, production was heavily influenced b/c of the scheme run....a good TE can dominate here.

better than Shockey doesn't mean Gronk caliber......

Chud's passing scheme revolves around 2 spots. #1 WR and TE. So yeah, it is wise not to invest in an aging and injury prone guy now that the "vet aspect" no longer will hold as much importance now that Cam rocketed through his rookie year.

and no, I am not pimping Barney as the guy.

Archived