• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"Mock Draft for the Ages"

TerriblePizza

ESPN did a mock draft where every college player in history was available... and here's what the chose for us:

59. Panthers: Joe Namath, QB, Alabama

Team needs: defensive line, quarterback, wide receiver

Joe Namath

Most pundits agree Namath is an absolute steal at this spot. Some scouts rate him as an absolute sure thing, equal to or even better than John Elway as a quarterback prospect. At 6-foot-2, 200 pounds, Namath has a prototypically powerful arm, but he did suffer a significant knee injury as a senior. Additionally, there are concerns that Namath's personality could adversely affect an entire team. He partied into the wee hours several nights during Senior Bowl week, even as scouts were watching his every move. Namath earned his degree from Alabama in 2007, a mere four decades after his graduating class. Ultimately, though, scouts drool over Namath because he's a winner. He led the Crimson Tide to the 1964 national championship and a 27-4 mark as a starter. Elway, by contrast, was 20-23 as a college starter. Legendary Alabama coach Paul "Bear" Bryant called Namath the greatest athlete he ever coached, yet Bryant suspended Namath for the 1963 regular-season finale and the 1964 Sugar Bowl for missing curfew.

NFC South blogger Pat Yasinskas: Carolina coach John Fox has always been against drafting quarterbacks early. But he broke that policy after a conversation with Namath's college coach, Bryant. "Namath is what he is," Bryant told Fox, who instantly was sold. Jake Delhomme is out the door in favor of "Tryon Street Joe."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=ages3/090420&sportCat=nfl

Honestly, even in a fantasy Mock Draft they have us taking a QB when we could have any prospect in the history of the NFL draft. They couldn't have us take a DT.

Anyways, how do you feel about Namath? I don't think his character would fit with the Big Cat's scheme.

I don't know if we're only looking at their combine and college performances, or at their careers as well. Either way, Elway is an interesting first overall pick. Hell, I'd want Favre over Namath.

It's definetly going by college. The Bengals took Mandarich! LOL

Errrr...

Calvin did plenty at GT. I saw him take over a game more than once.

By no means was he the greatest college player ever, but he wasn't a no one as a Yellow Jacket.

I'll have to bow to your better judgement. I admit I didn't watch a lot of GT games. I just don't recall him having a great college career.

choose between someone who threw

1.6 INTs per game (that's 25 INTs per 16 game season)

1.2 TDs per game (that's 19 TDs per 16 game season)

197 yards per game (3152 yards/ season)

career comp % of 50.1

career rating of 65.5

lost 1 more game over his career than what he won.

or

.89 INTs per game (that's 14 INTs per 16 game season)

1.3 TDs per game (that's 20 TDs per 16 game season)

208 yards per game (3328 yards/ season)

career comp % of 59.7

career rating of 85.1

won 19 more games over his career than what he lost.

you make the call.

Archived