• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will Leave The Hurneywagon If We Don't Make An Effort To Improve The Team This FA.

Cat'sGrowl

Now this is just an opinion "piece" so if you don't agree, don't go getting your panties in a bunch, but I was just sitting here thinking about this and thought I'd share.

As I tried to state in the title, but had to shorten thanks to the character limit-I will forever leave the Hurney bandwagon if we don't make a significant effort to improve the team this free agency period.

The reason is this:

We are so close to being where we want to be as a team-but-and I say this with the expectation that Hurney isn't going to do anything of any worth this FA period-Hurney is too narrow minded to finish the job.

He looks at the team and says to himself- "Self, we had a pretty good team last year had we not been decimated by injuries, so I really don't see the need to improve the team. Throw in a decent draft pick (singular) and we'll be set to go!"

But let's step back and look at the league as a whole. What if Washington lands V-Jax to pair with RG3? What if Chicago lands the greatest defensive prospect to hit the market since Reggie White and forms the greatest DE tandem of all time? What if other teams improve while we stand pat (and yes, we happen to play both of those teams this year)?

If there's one fact of life that has seemed to elude this organization over the years, it's this:

If you aren't progressing, you're regressing.

So what happens if all those other NFC teams progress, while we sit? What happens if we put all our chips in on the hopes that an average 34 year old DT coming off an entire season on the bench, a LB coming off 3 major knee injuries, and an OT who hasn't been able to stay healthy since this team was contending for the number one record in the NFC? (and possibly before)

Next season isn't so bright and shiny then, is it? Is Hurney really content to say:

"Weellp, if that's the case it looks like we're have to spend another year improving our draft picks!"

Really? Again? When we're this close? How long is this gonna go on? Will it takes five years for our draft picks to fill all our needs and then, hopefully, be good players? Then what will we have to look at? Both RB's could be gone. Steve Smith will be 37 and you haven't been able to find a decent receiver during your entire tenure here-at what point is it okay to admit to ourselves that it's okay to sign good players that weren't "born" here?

When building a team, to build long-term success, you have to balance the "now" (free agents) with "future." (draft picks)

Some teams lean too much towards free agents (the Skins of yesteryear) and some team rely too heavily on draft picks. (the Panthers )

Some teams, most notably the Pats, have found the perfect balance of the two. Either way, we know that you can't have success and sustain it long-term without a nice combination of both.

Now, am I asking for Mario Williams? No, of course not. I understand that when discussing free agents, you have to take into account financial feasibility. But I do expect without expecting, that this team make a serious effort to address needs from the previous season this FA by bringing in talented, veteran players that have built a reputation of being good players in this league. Not an UDFA, two year pro, up-and comer out Mississippi Valley State that we really liked coming out, but just a handful of decent players, and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the team to do so yearly-but especially this year, when we are this close to making a run.

I guess the bottom line is that, if we don't make a serious effort to improve the team via FA, and it costs us what is a very, very promising season this year, I just wouldn't be able to forgive Hurney, in spite of the fact that I like the guy.

17529d1296072619-panthers-gm-marty-hurney-says-quarterback-teams-marty-hurney.jpg

I've said this a million times, and I'll say it again:

Hurney is a coaches GM. Outside of Fox's lame duck year, almost every draft he works with what the coach wants to do, and targets the players the coach feels will help the team.

Don't look at Hurney, look at Rivera. If we pick out free agents from other teams they will be because Ron likes what they could bring to the team. Hurney is not going to pull the trigger on players by himself. So, while I think our philosophy is still going to be "build through the draft" we will probably utilize more outside players than before because Rivera doesn't seem to be as fixated on "in-house" talent as Fox always seemed to be (although he does seem to be fixated on former Chargers ;) )

We'll be fine.

Hurney is a coaches GM. Outside of Fox's lame duck year, almost every draft he works with what the coach wants to do, and targets the players the coach feels will help the team.

Don't look at Hurney, look at Rivera. If we pick out free agents from other teams they will be because Ron likes what they could bring to the team. Hurney is not going to pull the trigger on players by himself. So, while I think our philosophy is still going to be "build through the draft" we will probably utilize more outside players than before because Rivera doesn't seem to be as fixated on "in-house" talent as Fox always seemed to be (although he does seem to be fixated on former Chargers ;) )

We'll be fine.

I had thought this coming into the offseason but the fact that the FO could seemingly care less that FA is about to start makes me feel otherwise.

How many times sign huge Free Agents and it ends up working out for them? Not many as the eagles showed last year for example... Its the teams that spend wisely like the Niners last year getting Carlos Rogers and Dante Whitner that makes teams successful..be patient

I had thought this coming into the offseason but the fact that the FO could seemingly care less that FA is about to start makes me feel otherwise.

How do you know what they are thinking or doing about FA?

How many times sign huge Free Agents and it ends up working out for them? Not many as the eagles showed last year for example... Its the teams that spend wisely like the Niners last year getting Carlos Rogers and Dante Whitner that makes teams successful..be patient

You, like, didn't read. At all.

We'll be fine.

I agree...Hurney is a coaches GM. He drafts who the coaches want to a large degree.

With one exception.....the 2010 draft was a pure Hurney draft. He had no coach to draft for. It brought us such studs as Clausen, Armanti

We'll be fine.

Rivera doesn't have anything to do with contract negotiations. We overpaid horribly to keep our core. You are rght about Hurney drafting with the coaches--RR picked Cam, not Hurney. Hurney picked Clausen and Armanti.

I agree...Hurney is a coaches GM. He drafts who the coaches want to a large degree.

With one exception.....the 2010 draft was a pure Hurney draft. He had no coach to draft for. It brought us such studs as Clausen, Armanti

Hence my phrase "outside of Fox's lame duck year."

Again, Hurney is our GM for two reasons: he listens to the coach's needs; and he's a wizard with cap management. We could do far, far, far, far worse.

Archived