• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If Stewart Isn't Traded It Will Be Because..

unicar15

Yeah, that makes perfect sense. Jerry Richardson, a multi-millionaire ex-NFL player whose dream is to own a Super Bowl winning franchise extended a couple of players because he didn't want everyone to think he was cheap. Clearly his business success is completely due to the wild winds of luck and his football acumen is rivaled only by Daniel Snyder. :wacko:

If you want to pretend that emotions do not get involved in football decisions that is on you.

No owner in the league would have given Jake that contract after his performance. Not even Dan Snyder. Just because J-Rich has been successful in the past doesn't give him a pass.

Wrong. One owner did. And he was right to do so. No owner in their right mind would judge a QB, especially one who had previously led his team to the SB and had just posted perhaps his best season except for one game, on that one game. I have little doubt that JR was given all the alternatives by his staff and he made the most prudent choice at the time. No one could have predicted that Jake would completely fall apart. He had two choices at the time: cut Jake or extend him. Those were his only alternatives. He did the right thing, it just didn't work out. Did his loyalty to Jake influence him? Absolutely. If I work for a boss who shows his loyalty when it counts, you best believe I'm gonna bust my ass to do my job to the best of my ability. Being loyal to your employees isn't a weakness, it's a shrewd business move. It's easy to look back with hindsight and say JR made mistakes and think you'd have done better. Hell, I've done the same thing. Then I just remind myself that I don't have 1/10 of the info and none of the experience of the man calling the shots.

JR played in the league. He's not some rich kid playing with his toys. This is his dream. I don't have a problem with people questioning moves or wondering about why we're doing certain things. But insinuating that JR isn't a good owner or doesn't know what he's doing...well, that's just myopic and silly.

JR was sending a message to his players and to the fans... that if you are drafted as a Panther and you make it big, the organization is going to pay you big, too.

Given the change in our offense etc DWill's contract seems a bit large but I do not think we really overpaid CJ.

I prefer this to the alternative of not having either of them, and I think speculating we could have gotten them both to take less money is a bit silly at this point.

I think we should wait to see a whole offseason of Chud installing the other 9000 plays he has.

Getting Tolbert and if they hold on to both running backs mean we probally run more than you think.

-one could argue that the number of passes that Newton given that it was for repetetion in real game situations and trying to hurry the development in a short year. The lack of OTAs and shortened camp may have given the staff the theory : keep it passing focused, because you cannot develop a guy if you intend to hide him all season.

On the other hand, stewart is entering the last year of his rookie contract. Which means any team that would trade for him would do so with the idea of restructuring him for the future.

This is the primary reason why I think people are dreaming if they think some team is going to waltz in here and give us anything near a second round pick for him. I've seen "sign and trade" and been told I'm an idiot that doesn't know football, but if JStew has decided not to re-negotiate early with us (no evidence he wants out) why would he suddenly jump at the chance with team-x? So the likely scenario if he was traded would involve a team having to possible franchise him for year two. That possibility alone wrecks any chance for acquiring a high draft pick for him.

The only unknown here is if he has a team in mind that he would want to play for if it isn't us...I can only come up with Seattle. Maybe something could be worked out there, who knows? If the FO isn't actively looking, how would any of these scenarios even happen?

For now, I think he has decided to let the clock roll on his contract and eventually be able to choose a destination/contract. He's probably right that we wouldn't exclusive rights franchise him going into 2013 and he's probably got the safest assignment playing here. Limited carries, plenty of backup and still has a great reputation.

Wrong. One owner did. And he was right to do so. No owner in their right mind would judge a QB, especially one who had previously led his team to the SB and had just posted perhaps his best season except for one game, on that one game. I have little doubt that JR was given all the alternatives by his staff and he made the most prudent choice at the time. No one could have predicted that Jake would completely fall apart. He had two choices at the time: cut Jake or extend him. Those were his only alternatives. He did the right thing, it just didn't work out. Did his loyalty to Jake influence him? Absolutely. If I work for a boss who shows his loyalty when it counts, you best believe I'm gonna bust my ass to do my job to the best of my ability. Being loyal to your employees isn't a weakness, it's a shrewd business move. It's easy to look back with hindsight and say JR made mistakes and think you'd have done better. Hell, I've done the same thing. Then I just remind myself that I don't have 1/10 of the info and none of the experience of the man calling the shots.

JR played in the league. He's not some rich kid playing with his toys. This is his dream. I don't have a problem with people questioning moves or wondering about why we're doing certain things. But insinuating that JR isn't a good owner or doesn't know what he's doing...well, that's just myopic and silly.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on whether or not signing Jake was a good move. It's obvious that J-Rich signed Jake. As you well know, what I was saying is that no other owner besides Richardson would have given an aging Delhomme, coming off an awful performance that kind of money or that relatively long extension. Don't tell me about business decisions. Plenty of businesses get rid of their senior management in favor of younger talent when it comes to the bottom line. You are talking about Delhomme as if he was Peyton Manning or something. He was closer to Trent Dilfer. Speaking of Manning, he was given a nice send off before he was shown the door. There is a time in a QB's career that he has to move on. There's also a time in a business owner's career that he should think about passing the baton and moving on as well. Now I am not stating as fact that it is time for JR to move on["funny" how he "axed" his kids], but such large (and in some cases, long) contracts are questionable in the case of Delhomme, Johnson, Williams, and Davis. They were also uncharacteristic of an organization that has a history of being fiscally conservative and financially solvent. Why the 180 in the opposite direction? Think of the best organizations in the NFL right now: Steelers and Patriots. Their ownership/management almost always errors on the smart side of the fence.

Look! I respected Delhomme, but it was time for him to go, and their was absolutely nothing shrewd about keeping him. NOTHING. Johnson and Davis are fellow Georgia dawgs (like Bacarri Rambo). I watched them play since college. They have been good players. But were their contracts too generous in light of their productivity and situations? Probably (especially in the case of Davis). Other than Smitty, Williams' jersey is the oly Panthers jersey I own. At one point in 2010, it looked like both Williams and Smith were on their way outta here, and, like most, I wanted to keep them both. I want(ed) Deangelo to stay a Panther. But I don't think it's too much of a stretch to question why they gave him so much money when Stew was already in the wings. Sorry, I don't see anything "shrewd" about these decisions, but I do see a whole lot of head scratchin' as a result of them. But, what's done is done. Cam is a result of some of those decisions, so life ain't bad. We still have D-Will (and Stew, thus far), have acquired Tolbert, Nakamura, and have B-Hog coming off an injury. Rivera, Chud and McDermott will hopefully keep J-Rich and Hurney on track.

Archived