• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How Much Credit Does Chris Weinke Deserve?

Car123

why?

Because of how they built the offense around him, and how Chud and Shula weren't conservative with Cam instead of having Cam throw slants every play or dump-offs they let him make his own decisions so he could learn from them.

While I dont mean to discount or discredit Weinke or IMG I think in the long run they did more good for themselves than they did for Mr Newton.

I feel pretty confident in saying that what Cam did with IMG elevated him from great rookie season to one for the record books. In the end though I think in 5 years IMG will still be cashing in on the idea that they molded 'The Great Cam Newton' while Cam will have evolved from what they helped him with.

Wienkie deserves some credit. How much? The hell if anyone including Cam would know that. But I will say that Wienkie gets a bad wrap. He was a good QB and hold some impressive records for the Panthers that some may be surprised by. He was just too prone to mistakes and not winning games. Hopefully that too didn't rub off on Cam.

Archived