• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I Just Watched 6 Games Worth Of Quinton Coples Snaps...

Catalyst

let's be real for a second

people doubted cam because of the stigma associated with recently drafted black quarterbacks......he was being compared to vince young and jamarcus russell and considered a major reach because of his 'character issues' and 'flawed mechanics'.....people didn't know if he wanted to be great.......and we have all seen how motivated #1 really is to make the Panthers a winner. I don't think anyone was questioning his cam's gametape other than "can he really make all of the nfl throws needed to succeed".....there was no questioning he is/was an absolute freak of nature with all the physical tools in the world to be great.

people are doubting coples (myself included) because there isn't really anything to point to and say, see this? this guy is gonna be something special! no wow moments, no overly impressive 'take over the game' moments. He isn't, on film, the prototypical 'playmaker'............much in the same way Dontari Poe has no real film to indicate he is an established commodity. I think these two guys are similar because they have the potential to be great given their physical abilities, but for whatever reason, they haven't put it all together in a game for all of us to get googly-eyed over.

Two completely different things, IMO. I don't see anything in Coples film that tells me he is better or will be a huge improvement over what we already have (Hardy, Applewhite) ....

I think that is what gets people stirred up about him. We want guys that will make us better immediately, remember? I think the people that have a problem with Coples going at #9 just don't see how he can make us better this year. 2,3 years down the line.......it could be possible.

guess thats also why we are fans and have no real say-so in anything other than how many people fill the stadium on gameday. :lol:

Are you a moron? I posted the reasons I thought the assessment was wrong in the post you quoted. I see things that he does in games that suggest a much better player than was given credit for in the thread. I didn't whine about a damn thing. I think Coples is a very strong player at the point of attack, will draw double teams, can split double teams, and convert his power to speed in order to get to the quarterback. I've seen him do it. Getting a coach and players around him to do it consistently from a technique and mental focus standpoint might be the only question for me.

I think you thought he was sarcastic when he wasn't...

Why do you think we went to Chapel Hill for a second visit if we weren't interested? I doubt we waste our time 2 days before the draft making frivolous visits. And if we thought he wasn't in consideration, we would have simply done nothing. You can assume we are very interested and not as a smokescreen because as you say if no one likes him then no one would want to trade up to get him. If someone else we like a lot drops we may take them instead but he obviously is high on our list.

I would think that the organization is covering all their bases and I'm sure they are considering him. Everyone was saying "He's the top DE prospect, he has to be good" and that's silly considering the top prospects bust all the time. And to add to that, all the attention he's been getting recently is about how scouts are down on him. It doesn't jive with the "Everyone likes him, he must be good" angle.

It's pretty funny seeing people say "haha youtube u r teh stupids" when its 6 whole (full, 100%, all, complete; whatever word you need to express fullness) games of snaps to base his opinion on. Seems like a lame attempt to jump on the OP just because you're a Coples fanboy.

Usually DE's get more sacks than DT's and LOL at comparing South Carolina, Kentucky and Wake to Duke and James Madison.

Actually comparing teams or conferences to evaluate individual player performances is very misleading. Players compete in individual matchups all day. If you want to evaluate the usefulness of the information you need to look at who each player was matched up against and whether they used specific schemes to try and neutralize a player.

But the point was simply that there are a lot of top players who feasted on one or two teams and were ineffective against the majority of others. It isn't a consideration really.

And 4 of Cox's 5 sacks came against 2 teams in back to back weeks at South Carolina and Kentucky. He had none the first 5 games an 1 against Wake Forest in the last game.

No one is saying he shouldn't go top 10 for that.......

Cox is a defensive tackle, there's difference.

It's pretty funny seeing people say "haha youtube u r teh stupids" when its 6 whole (full, 100%, all, complete; whatever word you need to express fullness) games of snaps to base his opinion on. Seems like a lame attempt to jump on the OP just because you're a Coples fanboy.

So would you say it's acceptable to base an opinion of a player off just 6 games, only being able to see sideline shots of that player?

So would you say it's acceptable to base an opinion of a player off just 6 games, only being able to see sideline shots of that player?

it's still 10X more than what 99% of people here base their opinions off of.

i'm waiting for everyone whining about using 6 game videos to give a full college career coaches tape breakdown of his play

I would think that the organization is covering all their bases and I'm sure they are considering him. Everyone was saying "He's the top DE prospect, he has to be good" and that's silly considering the top prospects bust all the time. And to add to that, all the attention he's been getting recently is about how scouts are down on him. It doesn't jive with the "Everyone likes him, he must be good" angle.

We aren't covering our bases 2 day before the draft, we have narrowed our choices and are asking a few questions and making sure we are comfortable with our choices. I was listening to Pat Kirwin and later Gil Brandt on NFL Sirius and they said that there would be some guys who fall right before the draft based on unwarranted criticism spread by some scouts for whatever reason. Gamesmanship, smokescreen, misinformation, you name it..... Maybe that is what it is,may be it is legitimate, who knows. But he has consistently been in the top 15 in every draft all year. You don't get there unless you are good and generally everyone likes you. This isn't a forth rounder with issues.

Does that mean he is definitely the choice? depends on what happens with picks 1-8. If someone we like alot falls down we might scarf him up or we might still try and trade down. But you can bet he is one of a handful of guys we want, not just covering our bases.

We aren't covering our bases 2 day before the draft, we have narrowed our choices and are asking a few questions and making sure we are comfortable with our choices. I was listening to Pat Kirwin and later Gil Brandt on NFL Sirius and they said that there would be some guys who fall right before the draft based on unwarranted criticism spread by some scouts for whatever reason. Gamesmanship, smokescreen, misinformation, you name it..... Maybe that is what it is,may be it is legitimate, who knows. But he has consistently been in the top 15 in every draft all year. You don't get there unless you are good and generally everyone likes you. This isn't a forth rounder with issues.

Does that mean he is definitely the choice? depends on what happens with picks 1-8. If someone we like alot falls down we might scarf him up or we might still try and trade down. But you can bet he is one of a handful of guys we want, not just covering our bases.

and I said "and I'm sure they are considering him" but that doesn't mean I want them to pick him

I think in all my years as a Panthers fan, there has not been one player that i have not wanted on this team more than Quinton Coples. Everything about him strikes me as bad.

Him not giving 100% effort on every play in his senior year is a huge deal. what is he going to do when he gets his first paycheck?

for the love of God Hurney, please don't do this to us

Archived