• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Can Coples Play The 3 Technique?

Ruff

I really have never seen the guy but on occasion. I didn't see his supposed great year at DT, so I don't know how well he can actually perform at that position. I would love to know, though, for anyone who has watched a whole lot of Heels' games.

I can see us drafting Coples to be an inside pass rusher, much like Justin Tuck has been used. We could have a starting line-up of Johnson, Coples, Edwards, Hardy.

I think he can on 3rd and long situations, but right now he is too small to play there every down. He would have to put on 25 pounds in order to move to a 3 technique on a regular basis.

That is something that I could see him doing eventually in the future if he isn't having much success outside.

As a Carolina fan...

He is athletic and strong enough to play just about anywhere on the field.

The problem is he is money driven and cared more about his pro career rather than his senior season at Carolina leading to him not performing well.

If you want to get an idea of the "real" Quinton Coples, you will have to look back at his junior year and beyond.

If you show him money, then yes.

He really is Julius Peppers 2.0. Athletic freak that wants money for his services.

All these guys want money for their services.

While I don't like his approach to last season, or what it appeared to be, he had an excuse for it.

He's athletically gifted, but he's no Peppers.

All these guys want money for their services.

While I don't like his approach to last season, or what it appeared to be, he had an excuse for it.

He's athletically gifted, but he's no Peppers.

But a lot of these guys play for the love of the game and money is just a benefit of it, i.e. Smith, Newton, etc... As a Carolina fan, I can promise you that Coples won't be that guy; he will play his ass off, put up good numbers, but when it's time for his contract extension he will weasel every penny out of you and if someone else pays him a penny more no matter what their chances of winning a championship compared to ours is he will take the money and run. I guarantee that.

To me that s one of the reasons I am intrigued by him possibly being our pick. On 3rd and 10+ you can have Johnson, Hardy, Coples, and maybe McClain all rushing the QB.

Could be pretty nasty.

He would stop the run better than Hardy on running downs and pressure the passer from DE or DT. He has a good first step and can be a very strong bull rusher with proper technique (long arms).

You are right, it could be nasty. Coples can push the pocket. Our DEs would have had many more sacks last year with middle pressure. Another thing that Coples would do is bat balls away and disrupt vision. Big boy.

Tee Ray, you know I am never wrong about the draft--I see us taking Kuechly. Not necessarily my preference, but I see Hurney and RR coming to agreement with him.

Archived