• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brandon Marshall Takes Parting Shot At Dolphins Qbs

King Taharqa

Matt-Moore-Brandon-Marshall_2675096-640x350.jpg

As a parting shot to his former Miami Dolphins, now Chicago Bears receiver Brandon Marshall recently said that even the greatest receiver in the history of the game couldn't succeed with the quarterbacks (he) was "forced" to deal with last season.

"It doesn't make any sense to pay a guy $2 million and only expect him to have 60 or 65 receptions, or 70 receptions in this new offense," Marshall told Orlando radio station 740 The Game on Thursday. "Also, if you don't have a quarterback, it doesn't matter who you have out there. You can bring Jerry Rice back in his prime and he's not going to be effective. It makes sense on the business end, and also the fit as far as philosophy-wise just wasn't there. I can understand the change, and honestly this is the best move that could have happened for both sides."

Jerry Rice has not commented, but having watched Rice through his entire career, I'd bet he could look pretty good behind the Houston Texans' 2002 offensive line, catching passes from David Greene and Joey Harrington.

Marshall is now reunited with quarterback Jay Cutler -- when those two played together in Denver, Marshall caught more than 100 passes each season from 2007 and 2008. Marshall also caught 101 passes in 2009 when Cutler was gone and Kyle Orton was the main man under center.

The Dolphins traded Marshall to the Bears around the same time the six-year veteran was allegedly involved in a mid-March incident at a New York nightclub. Despite their relative lack of receiver talent on the depth chart below Marshall, Miami decided to move on for two third-round picks. In the 2012 NFL draft, Miami didn't take a receiver until the sixth round, when they selected Michigan State's B.J. Cunningham.

Last season, Marshall caught 81 passes for 1,214 yards and six touchdowns for the Dolphins. Davone Bess was second on the team with 51 catches, and running back Reggie Bush brought in 43 catches. But Bess is more of a possession receiver, and Bush is a backfield threat who will sometimes line up as a slot receiver. Former Chargers and Panthers receiver Legedu Naanee was the team's only real offseason acquisition at that position.

Of course, the quarterback position is another glaring issue for the team. After striking out on Peyton Manning and Matt Flynn, the Dolphins selected Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill with the eighth overall pick, and they'll try to sell the rookie and the veteran team of Matt Moore and David Garrard to an unhappy and impatient fan base. Hearing Marshall's words can be nothing but salt in the wound to those fans, especially if Cutler and Marshall are able to resume their high-flying ways.

"I wish the Dolphins the best of luck, and the guys on the team," Marshall concluded. "I have a lot of friends there. I hope they get a chance to turn it around and start winning because that fan base is desperate for some wins."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/could-jerry-rice-succeed-miami-brandon-lloyd-doesn-145656114.html;_ylt=Am.v9RT0L2aFTKE2dzz2yEM5nYcB

Ouch!

He had 111 less yards than his career high of 1325 and a career high average yards as a starter. To say no WR could succeed in that offense last year just proves he is a dumbass.

Would help if he didn't drop 14 passes

You can't get butthurt when all the facts stare straight in the face of what a mentally unstable person says.

Most people without a bias know Moore played well there and anyone who actually watched games that Marshall was his own worst enemy.

There is a reason he has been traded twice in the prime of his career.

He had 111 less yards than his career high of 1325 and a career high average yards as a starter. To say no WR could succeed in that offense last year just proves he is a dumbass.

Would help if he didn't drop 14 passes

Steve Smith also had a dropping problem in 2010 that magically went away this year

Hmmmm I wonder who was starting for part of that year

You can't get butthurt when all the facts stare straight in the face of what a mentally unstable person says.

Most people without a bias know Moore played well there and anyone who actually watched games that Marshall was his own worst enemy.

There is a reason he has been traded twice in the prime of his career.

Moore played well there because the season was over early and essentially the pressure was off. We've had this talk before, TRD.

Everyone has seen what Moore is capable of when expected to lead a team.

I agree with you though about Marshall. I'd take whatever he says with a huge grain of salt.

Moore played well there because the season was over early and essentially the pressure was off. We've had this talk before, TRD.

Everyone has seen what Moore is capable of when expected to lead a team.

I agree with you though about Marshall. I'd take whatever he says with a huge grain of salt.

No need to rehash old arguments I guess. 2010 was a joke and many people around the NFL are starting to realize it. One game with a concussion in the first quarter, which I recently learned, where we led at halftime and another game down by a touchdown before being pulled is not "when expected to lead a team" but oh well. He's moved on, Carolina has moved on. It has worked out well for both parties.

But on a side note, can we please put the "when the pressure is off" argument to bed. A non established QB never has the pressure off. He's playing for a paycheck every time he gets to see the field. Do we throw away all of Cam's stats because the pressure was off because we weren't in the playoff hunt? Of course not.

In 2009 we still had a chance to make the playoffs and the Dolphins did last year too.

If he's actually given some time to adjust to the new offense and new coaches/players, despite his lack of any real receiving talent, I expect him to play well and if their defense plays well, they could contend for a WC. If it's a Clausen like scenario all over again where he gets pulled at the fans discretion, we'll see him in another uni next year.

Archived