• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Game Of Thrones Grown Up Talk. Do Not Enter Unless You Have Finished All The Books

Kurb

That's exactly how it works

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

If that were true everyone ever sent to the wall, or swore an oath they wanted out of, would just be like "Oh I'm changing my name to Bob. Bob didn't swear an oath."

It's the same person, his name didn't swear the oath, he did.

If that were true everyone ever sent to the wall, or swore an oath they wanted out of, would just be like "Oh I'm changing my name to Bob. Bob didn't swear an oath."

I see your point, but Jon cant legitimize himself. Someone of power has to do it, and at that point I think the oath no longer matters. Stannis already tried to do that. Why not another? And after being betrayed by his brothers whose to say Jon wouldn't accept?

Sent from my iPhone using the free crApp Jeremy gave us.

A king changed his name. He didnt.

And name means everything in this universe. Being a bastard versus being a legitimized part of a noble family completely changes your life in terms of the law.

Bastards can't claim titles or land plus a kings decree trumps the nw oath.

Tywin was going to make it possible for Jaime to drop his king guard vows to claim his inheritance. It's totally how it works bro

Plus that's a bad argument, most nw are murderers or rapists or thieves no highborn stark bastards. They don't just have the power to change their name cause no one really cares about him

Okay. Is it irrational for me to be pissed if I don't get to see Euron, Victarion, Aeron, or Arianne in season 5?

I feel like they are totally glossing over the Iron Island stuff, and Arianne is like a huge part of the Dornish storyline.

I'm a fan of the books and the show, but I feel like if they leave these characters out, it will be the first time I have to get book snobbish on them in a critical way.

how can they have areo hotah without arianne?

Well, the HBO site or somewhere has Trystane's character listed as the heir of Dorne. By my count, at this point in the show, he should be third in line to Arianne and Quentyn. Still an heir, but not the heir.

I'm more concerned about the lack of Greyjoy's.

One theory is that they can't cast Euron because he is already on the show (Daario?)

Another is that they just make Yara (Asha) the main Greyjoy contingent and merge all plot lines with hers.

I don't know if I like those ideas though.

It just feels like they are removing huge chunks of canon, or slowing way down and making stuff up to draw out the show in order to give GRRM time for the books. It seems almost like the former, though.

A king changed his name. He didnt.

And name means everything in this universe. Being a bastard versus being a legitimized part of a noble family completely changes your life in terms of the law.

Bastards can't claim titles or land plus a kings decree trumps the nw oath.

Yes they can. Bastards are in the line of inheritance right after legit children. it goes legit sons, legit daughters, bastards. In fact, even without being legitimized, Jon has a better claim to the Iron Throne than Daenarys Targaryen. He doesn't need to be legitimized.

Yes they can. Bastards are in the line of inheritance right after legit children. it goes legit sons, legit daughters, bastards. In fact, even without being legitimized, Jon has a better claim to the Iron Throne than Daenarys Targaryen. He doesn't need to be legitimized.

Point is moot any way as a royal decree lifts Jon from his nw oath which is what we are arguing in the first place.

Archived