• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jon Beason willing to move to OLB for Team

redbuddha

he was originally drafted to play outside but was moved inside after morgan was injured early in the 2007 season. he kicked so much ass that he won the position outright and morgan was subsequently let go although probably more for his injury issues than anything else.

ding

ding

ding

If Beason has to move to the outside, it's only because he is more versatile than Keuch.

point!

this is more likely to come down to who plays better out there than inside. I believe both to be highly capable inside with Jon getting the edge based on, well, based he's been there and done that. If there is a move, a lot of consideration going into it will be based on who the better OLB is between the two.

That makes me wonder if it's been discussed between he and Rivera.

Would make sense.

Rivera was quoted a couple weeks after the draft that he talked to Beason....that both he and Luke should be prepared for OLB reps

You know, i brought this up in another thread but again it looks like i was right. Of course i was cut to pieces with my statement and maybe i came across a bit strong. Buuut i did say that Beason needs to worry less about what opposing players are saying and more about Luke taking his spot (middle linebacker) on the defense. I did say that...

I think people forget that in a 4-3 under, which is what we run, the most important linebacker is the Will backer not the Mike. With the Mike blitzing almost 60% of the time the Will will be playing the pass and plays are funneled to him on the edges.

Beason struggled outside because he had a hard time staying in his position and would roam too far inside and be out of position. He surely can play the position but needs to be more disciplined. This defense is all about discipline, knowing where you need to be on every play and not making mistakes. Beason will be fine where ever they play him. Last year gave him plenty of time to understand the assignments and watch what should have been done.

I think people forget that in a 4-3 under, which is what we run, the most important linebacker is the Will backer not the Mike. With the Mike blitzing almost 60% of the time the Will will be playing the pass and plays are funneled to him on the edges.

Beason struggled outside because he had a hard time staying in his position and would roam too far inside and be out of position. He surely can play the position but needs to be more disciplined. This defense is all about discipline, knowing where you need to be on every play and not making mistakes. Beason will be fine where ever they play him. Last year gave him plenty of time to understand the assignments and watch what should have been done.

Yeah, Beason didn't struggle at OLB bc he didn't have the talent or ability to excel. He played OLB with the MLB mindset and didn't have the time to get comfortable when TD went down

You know, i brought this up in another thread but again it looks like i was right. Of course i was cut to pieces with my statement and maybe i came across a bit strong. Buuut i did say that Beason needs to worry less about what opposing players are saying and more about Luke taking his spot (middle linebacker) on the defense. I did say that...

Kuechly won't take his spot, it will be a decision by the coaches and players to put the best guys on the field. For example the guy in the middle will blitz over 50% of the time. They will have to decide who is best getting to the quarterback and who is best in pass protection. For example if Kuechly is best against the pass he is more likely to play Will than Mike. This defense won't be like last year or under Fox so guys moving around won't be about who is better but who fits the roles needed as the defense gels and comes together,

To add to what he said... and I think he's implying it and just didn't say it... Is that "from what we hear" about Luke being better playing the pass, then it should almost be a relative foregone conclusion that he will play the Will, especially considering this post I just quoted.

Archived