• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rumors: Julius Peppers = SF

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/sports/football/49ers/49ers-Should-Explore-A-Julius-Peppers-Trade.html

Peppers has demanded a trade. He's flat out said he's unwilling to return to the Panthers and indicated he might sit out the 2009 season if not traded. And the Gaston Gazette in North Carolina reports that Peppers will refuse to show up for this weekend's Panthers minicamp. Peppers has officially become a headache for the Carolina Panthers.

This trade makes more sense than taking a hundred $1 bills into a strip club. Peppers' main beef isn't money, it's the Panthers' defensive scheme. Peppers told the AP on a conference call that he desires to spend the rest of his career with a team that employs the 3-4 defense.

Hey! Guess which scheme the Niners employ? Bingo.

Meanwhile, the Panthers did acquire a potential replacement for Peppers in drafting Florida defensive end Everette Brown 43rd overall. So this move might not dramatically cripple them.

The monkey wrench in our Peppers scheme is significant -- the Panthers have slapped the franchise tag on him. That means signing him would require us to cough up two first-rounders. But there is a little precedent here, as last year the Vikings traded for the Chiefs' franchise player Jared Allen -- as opposed to signing him -- for "just" a first and two third-rounders. There are all kinds of trades Scot McCloughan could concoct here without sacrificing two first rounders, and he's got that extra first round pick to play with in the 2010 draft.

Last season, the 49ers pass rush pressured opposing quarterbacks only about as much as Tom Cable pressures Al Davis. Peppers would add what we need, and he wants to play in this sort of scheme. Julius Peppers appears to be one of the best and easiest ways to immediately spice up this Niner defense.

Probably just that recreated

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/021930.html

April 29, 2009

Peppers on the table

Now that the draft is over, the 49ers will trade for:

A. Braylon Edwards

B. Anquan Boldin

C. Julius Peppers

D. None of the above.

The correct outcome likely will be D. But C makes an awful lot of sense. Consider the following: The 49ers did not select an outside linebacker/pass rusher in the draft nor did they pick one up in free agency. Peppers, meanwhile, had 14 ½ sacks last year and has made no secret that he not only wants out of Carolina but would prefer to play for a team that uses a 3-4 defense. Paging coach Manusky ...

But wait, there's more. The Panther's have made a franchise tender offer that would pay Peppers a whopping $16.683 million in 2009. Peppers doesn't want to sign it and the Panthers have been hamstrung, salary-cap wise, because of it. The team is holding a three-day minicamp this weekend and no one in the organization is sure whether Peppers will show up. Meanwhile the 49ers shopped lightly in free agency this year and still have plenty of salary-cap space, certainly enough to ink Peppers, 29, to a long-term deal.

I don't know whether the 49ers are seriously considering Peppers. And I don't know whether they even envision Peppers as a stand-up, 3-4 outside linebacker. What I do know is that the two GM's, Scot McCloughan and Marty Hurney, already have made a deal this week. McCloughan gave Hurney his second- and fourth-round picks Sunday for Hurney's first rounder next year. The Panthers used the second rounder to draft a ... wait for it ... pass rusher, Florida State's Everette Brown. It's not a stretch to view Brown as Peppers' eventual replacement.

What will it take to pry Peppers from the Panthers? Probably a first-round pick coupled with some combination of other draft picks and/or players. The Panthers don't have a first rounder next year because of their trade with the 49ers. The 49ers, meanwhile, have two first rounders. Could they give one of them right back to Carolina for Peppers? Like I said, it makes an awful lot of sense.

-- Matt Barrows

I really dont see him going anywhere. Our front office is dumb enough to pay him what they have for the last few years. I really dont see any other FO doing so. For instance last year his cap number was close to double the 2nd highest at 14+m. Top that off with his disire to move to a lessor paid position its just not going to happen. Add in a couple of draft picks to get there and its even less likely.

This position change makes me wonder if he wasnt taking plays off, rather just getting his ass handed to him by multiple rookies.

Archived