• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam's big, even if Carolina isn't

redbuddha

That article was oozing with condescension. Methinks she's the kind of bitch that holds her home state with disdain after having moved away from it, replete with a posh NBC writing position.

What does that even mean?

there's only a couple cities in the state that are recognizable to those who haven't spent time in the area....just like most states. if people aren't familiar they will want a point of reference. how many times have any of you asked someone where they lived in a certain state and you only knew a couple cities? more than likely they live in an area that isn't really close to the ones you know of by name but it's closer to that than the other bigger city you've heard of even though it's still 3 hours away...or 3 cracker barrels away.

it's all about point of reference for people on the west coast. nothing hateful or disdainful about it.

pretty good article. shows the pov of those who dont know much about charlotte and or panthers but now find themselves vigorously drawn to this place and or franchise.

and yeah, fug teh world. go panthers.

outside of long term carolina fans and the more hard core NFL fans, those other guys you listed were just guys and barely known. they weren't big names that generated a lot of excitement. they didn't bring in many fans from outside the carolinas they didn't bring in bandwagon fans (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

we had good players, but not "star" players.

Yeah, I get all that. I'm not missing the point she's making in the article. Carolina has never had any real superstars, at least not at the level Cam is. What I am saying, is that for all the superstars out there, there are many more good players who go out there and do their job every Sunday, making it possible for the superstars to shine. I guess maybe it's the blue collar guy in me, but I've always taken a lot of pleasure in those kinds of guys, as much or more than the "stars". The fact that Carolina has never had a superstar of Cam's caliber doesn't take away a bit of the pleasure I got from seeing Wesley Walls haul one down in the red zone then drag guys with him as he crossed the goal line. Or the Dallas game when Greene, Mills, and Lathon pummeled not just Michael Irvin, but Neon Deion, too. Or when the notoriously immobile Steve Beuerline took it in against Green Bay in a mad diving lunge during a playoff game. My point is, superstars or not, Carolina has managed to field teams made up of guys who have always given me - for the most part - my money's worth as a fan. I'm stoked we have a guy like Cam, but I'm equally content to have a team full of pros who do their jobs to make the team a team.

I didn't read most of the article, but let me guess what she had to say. She made several negative comments about the Panthers franchise, North Carolina, and Charlotte. She then slobbed on Cam's kn@b because he's an extremely popular black QB. Get used to it. Praise Cam, and crap on the Panthers and North Carolina. I really hope that the media doesn't pull that crap this season, but I have a feeling they might.

I didn't read most of the article, but let me guess what she had to say. She made several negative comments about the Panthers franchise, North Carolina, and Charlotte. She then slobbed on Cam's kn@b because he's an extremely popular black QB. Get used to it. Praise Cam, and crap on the Panthers and North Carolina. I really hope that the media doesn't pull that crap this season, but I have a feeling they might.

it really wasn't that bad. People around here are over-sensitive when it comes to Charlotte for some reason. It's not a huge city like LA or New York. That's fine, nobody wants it to be.

You know that backwater hillbilly dump of a state called North Carolina? And that waste of time completely useless NFL franchise they have called the Panthers? What a joke of a team that was right? Well that garbage team that we all can't stand, they have CAM NEWTON!! A living football god who is single handedly pulling that turd of a franchise out of the gutter! Waahhoooo!

Yeah thanks lady. Get bent.

it really wasn't that bad. People around here are over-sensitive when it comes to Charlotte for some reason. It's not a huge city like LA or New York. That's fine, nobody wants it to be.

I didn't really think it was that bad either. It's just that the media coverage of the Panthers has bothered me for years.

Don't like it because articles like this have a "Cam is bigger than Carolina" undertone. He's our QB, why even create a division between him and the franchise? To use her Peyton Manning example, no one ever said "Manning's big, even if the Colts aren't" because they're one and the same. She likes the player but wants to distance him from the team.

Archived