• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Help from the soccer fans on here

FurdTurgason

I'm covering my first ever soccer game this Wednesday. High school girls game in Louisville. Football, basketball and baseball are second nature to me, but I have no idea how to write eight or nine paragraphs about a 1-0 or 2-1 soccer game. What do you do, just fill the story with quotes from the coaches and the lone goal scorer? I don't really understand the nuances of the game. I don't want to just regurgitate stats the reader could find in the box score, if soccer even has box scores.

focus on what you see. what excites the kids the most and the fans? it won't be just a goal scored but the hustle or energy that it takes.

sit in the stands and ask the folks watching what you are asking here. the human element is always whats best. and oh by the way mention who won.

Just remember.. Soccer is a chess match played on a field of grass. Look for counterattacks, pushes, strategy; basically, anything that makes the crowd go "ooh" and "ahh" would be good to add into your story.

It's a game played with low scores, but most of the excitement of the game comes from the above elements - to see how the coaches adjust to the playstyle of the other team, and trying to counteract it. Are both teams playing 4-4-2? 4-5-1? 3-6-1? Are the mids playing defensive, offensive, are the backs pushing forward at any indication of attack? Are they leading the attacks? Will the striker hold the ball up, or just shoots any chance they get?

Things to ask yourself while watching... and make for an interesting article.

The people that will read that article the most are families and friends of the players. Ask both coaches for a roster if possible and praise the players that do well. Soccer is about geometry and passing. The goals are important but sometimes a team plays very well without scoring a goal. If the students have a strong cheering section then give them some credit.

Really it depends on space in the paper but here is an example of a longer article from my local paper

http://www.gastongazette.com/sports/wildcats-74571-gazette-win.html

LOWELL — One team coasted and another had to hold on for dear life on the opening night of the 20th annual Gazette Area Soccer Cup.

North Gaston dominated South Point’s JV team 5-0 in Monday’s early game at Poston Park while Forestview held on to beat Highland Tech 2-1 in the nightcap.

North Gaston jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first 13 minutes and cruised from there to take the early lead in the Group 2 standings.

Dakota Null scored twice while Candido Trejo, Jose Cisneros and Leon Hurtado also found the back of the net for the Wildcats. Jesus Vargas (two), Bo Messick and Jon Cabe assisted the goals.

The North Gaston defense was also solid with Alejandro Hurtado logging 16 saves in goal for the shutout.

“I’m proud of the way my guys played tonight,” North Gaston coach Brian McClain said. “I understand it was South Point’s JV team against our varsity. That was the representative that South Point chose to play in the tournament and my guys played their hardest and came out victorious, so I’m proud of them.”

South Point sent its junior varsity team plus three varsity members to the Gazette Cup because its varsity team committed to play in the Soccer for a Cure tournament in Charlotte this weekend. State rules allow soccer players to compete in no more than three games per week.

North Gaston sent 11 of its own junior varsity players onto the field Monday, and two of them even started the second half with the game in firm control.

“The boys came out and acted like they were scared to make mistakes,” South Point coach Scott Webb said. “You can’t be afraid to make mistakes. Everybody’s going to make mistakes. You’ve just got to play through it.”

Both teams play East Gaston next, with South Point facing the Warriors Tuesday at 7:45 and North Gaston going against East Gaston 6 p.m. Wednesday.

In the nightcap, Forestview (3-1) found itself in a tight battle with the Rams. Ross Boyd and Cameron Kurtiak both scored on assists by Hunter Ballard for Forestview, which led 1-0 at halftime and 2-0 shortly after the break.

But Aaron Marlowe struck from 30-35 yards out to put Highland Tech on the board in the waning minutes and Forestview had to clamp down to survive.

“We’ve definitely got some things we need to work on,” said David Allf, Forestview’s acting head coach Monday. “Our first touches are a little sloppy and we probably need to get a little better in shape, but overall I thought we did pretty well.”

Forestview sent a hybrid varsity-JV team onto the field as it also plans to compete in the Soccer for a Cure tournament this weekend.

Highland Tech dropped to 1-1 on the young season after winning its opener against East Gaston 3-0.

“I think the boys did a great job,” first-year Rams coach Jonathan Reed said. “Playing a powerhouse like Forestview, I think the boys came out really strong.”

Forestview and Highland Tech will face the other Group 1 member, Gaston Day, over the next two nights. It’ll be Gaston Day against Highland Tech Tuesday at 6 and Gaston Day against Forestview Wednesday at 7:45.

After Wednesday’s action, teams will be paired up for Saturday’s matches based on Group play scoring. A win is worth three points and a tie is valued at one point.

It's all about story here man. Try to also include if this game is a rivalry game. Or any other little tidbits of information regarding the teams. Like adversity, tragedy, any feel good stories about a certain player.

Focus on the strikers and goal keepers obviously.

Is that Amanda Crew in your avatar?

Just remember.. Soccer is a chess match played on a field of grass. Look for counterattacks, pushes, strategy; basically, anything that makes the crowd go "ooh" and "ahh" would be good to add into your story.

It's a game played with low scores, but most of the excitement of the game comes from the above elements - to see how the coaches adjust to the playstyle of the other team, and trying to counteract it. Are both teams playing 4-4-2? 4-5-1? 3-6-1? Are the mids playing defensive, offensive, are the backs pushing forward at any indication of attack? Are they leading the attacks? Will the striker hold the ball up, or just shoots any chance they get?

Things to ask yourself while watching... and make for an interesting article.

This

Focus on very basic things that may run counter to the outcome.

Which team controlled possession? Or rather, at this level, which team seemed to keep the ball in the opponent's half the most?

Record the number of shots taken and number of shots on goal.

You'll have one of three stories with that basic information and an outcome:

1) X team controlled the game and came away with the victory

2) X team controlled the game but was unable to get a victory

3) very event matched game that resulted in a draw

That can help guide your post-game questions.

Archived