• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Breaking down why our defense is bad

Snake

I'm not buying the notion that we lack talent. I blame the scheme and the game plan. Players have to make plays, I understand...that applies more to the offense, especially the o line. But when you don't change your scheme at all and play a well coached team your are asking to get burned and that is just what happened. We have starter quality at every position except DE2, FS, and a rookie from a nonSEC school at CB2 . A very good HC and DC could have success with our talent level. We just have coaches that have their heads up their arses.

Hurney may not be the best and he's had some busts, but for god's sake there are literally dozens of unknown gems in the NFL that contribute and play well on GOOD teams in this league...role players they are called...many of them are UFAs.

How come we don't see that happening on this team? We have just as good prospects as any other team.

1. We have never had success at developing talent. 2 RR and McD ( and even Chud this season) don't what the HELL they are doing.

It's not talent...it's coaching!

The key to this game was the defensive line just like the last game. Last week they did a pretty good job against the run and a great job bothering Brees. This week they did nothing to contain the run and Manning had all day to throw. Norman can't do anything against a QB with that much time. If we could've generated the same pressure as we did against Brees we would have seen a different game entirely.

This defense can scheme all it wants but it's going to come down to line play in every game. Don't claim the team can blitz either because that just makes it easier on a good QB. Pressure from just the front four is the ultimate advantage in this league. It's always been important, but with good QBs everywhere it is a necessity.

well the defense played poor because the DC was so scared of manning hitting them with the deep pass, that he played a prevent defense all night, telling the db's to play off the receivers and to tackle them in front of them. Giving them the short stuff. Problem is, Manning is a great qb and picked the secondary apart.

IMO we are still playing like we have scrubs at every position. Playing safe on defense and hoping the offence can out score the other team. Its like the reverse Fox idea. I have yet to see Godfrey, keek,Anderson, or Applewhite blitz this year.

IMO we are still playing like we have scrubs at every position. Playing safe on defense and hoping the offence can out score the other team. Its like the reverse Fox idea. I have yet to see Godfrey, keek,Anderson, or Applewhite blitz this year.

We more or less do have scrubs at every position. Not very many of our defensive starters would crack the starting lineup on a good franchise.

I honestly feel like our defensive issues are mostly scheme-based as opposed to talent-based. I mean, I'm not saying we have studs across the board or don't have holes, but generally speaking I feel like we have a good enough defensive unit to play a lot better than we are. It doesn't seem like the players buy into what they're being asked to do, IMO. Or don't understand it, or maybe McDermott doesn't know what he wants them to do.

But in any event, I honestly feel it's a schematic problem and not that all our defensive players are awful.

Archived