• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Second City Mock 5.0 + Comp. Picks

Catalyst

I wasn't planning on doing this so soon after my last mock, but then I saw we were likely to receive two 6th round comp. picks and figured I'd go ahead with my 5th mock. I'm also going to switch things up in the 1st round here and go with a different player than Jesse Williams, just to make things interesting here.

1st: Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama - Gettleman said he likes "big guys" and well, Warmack certainly fits the bill. No one would argue that guard isn't a need and if Warmack is available at 14 we have to seriously consider adding him to the mix.

2nd: Jonathan Jenkins, DT, Georgia - The chances of Jenkins being here are about 50/50. He's got a 1st/2nd round grade and could very well be gone, but I'm going to slot him in here as I think the crowded DT class could result in several teams going with other tackles over Jenkins. If not, we'll have a good shot at one of the other DT's, but for the moment I'll slot Jenkins here.

4th: Travis Howard, CB/FS, Ohio State - I figure we can take a guy here with some potential at two positions of need and get him in camp and see where he fits best. Ideally he'll work out as a corner, but he also has the skillset and size to play FS in the NFL.

5th: Marcus Davis, WR, Virginia Tech - The goal in this scenario is to find a receiver in the middle rounds that has the potential to out-perform his draft position. I love Quinton Patton, but there's very little chance he falls this far. Davis may very well not be here either, but as I've said many times before, talented players drop every year and I feel there's a solid chance we can land him in the 5th. If not, there are other options at WR we can go to here.

6th: Cameron Lawrence, OLB, Mississippi State - I've put him in several mocks before and there's a reason for that. I feel like he's a sleeper prospect who could really out-perform his draft position. The wild card is if any GM feels the same way. If not, we could luck out and get him this late, which is roughly where he's projected to go at this point.

6th (COMP): Braden Hansen, C/OG, BYU - It never hurts to add depth to the offensive line. Hansen has the added benefit of being able to play guard or center, which is very nice to have when injuries become an issue up front, as we know well from this past season.

6th (COMP): Brett Maher, K, Nebraska - We need a kicker. It's impossible to know who will still be there this late as we saw when the Jaguars took a punter in the 3rd round last year, but I'll slot Maher to us here.

First of all I like the mock. Second, if you grab the OLB in the 6th do we keep Beason and Anderson. And last where did you read that we could get two 6th round comp picks.

Saw someone posted up a thread about the possibly compensatory picks we'll get. They have us getting two 6th. Probably for Wharton whoever else we loss in FA.

Good mock. I'm a fan of the popular Patton in the 4th pick, but it's probably not likely he'll last that long and with him gone the route you took is fine with me. I dunno about the kicker, I'd rather go with one of the bigger names (so far I'm not a fan of our nameless P we took last year when there were more known guys available) but who knows what kickers will go where.

If we don't take a DT in the 1st, Warmack is one of the very few acceptable other choices. I'd be happy with your mock.

Decent direction you went here.

As a Hokie myself, I'm more on the Corey Fuller train than Davis though. To say Marcus has dropping issues is an understatement but once he gets the ball, he's a top talent. Both are explosive and proved it when Thomas didn't completely overthrow a ball or make a terrible pass.

4 potential starters here including the kicker so I'd be cool with this.

Don't know much about Travis Howard though

I would love to see us pick a TE like Phillip Lutzenkirchen out of Auburn if he's still sitting there in the 5th or 6th rounds. Which might be possible since he's just now recovering from a torn labrum that he had operated on in late October.

He'll be working out at the Senior Bowl (not playing) and the Combine. If his health checks out, he may go even higher, but if people have injury concerns and he's sitting there, he'd be a value pick.

Archived