• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gettleman not sold on read option

Gabeking

I exaggerate but

The most dangerous hits a QB takes are in the pocket, because he's more likely to not see what's hitting him.

True, but a quarterback is more guaranteed of a taking a hit on a read-option play. Sacks and hits off pressures happen, but you tend to keep your guy clean more often than not. I just have some hesitation about using it all the time after watching a guy like RG3 come in and play some of the most exciting football ever, and leave the field a hobbled mess with a torn everything.

Jordan Gross said on ESPN 730 Sport Radio recently regarding the Read Option: 'I don't think Quarterbacks can play like that for 10 years. You just get beat up too much'. He added. 'The beauty of Cam is: He's so good in the pocket now, that we don't have to rely on the read option or other offenses like that, but can use it as another wrinkle to mix it up and keep teams honest' That's a paraphrase. However, it sounds like he and Gettleman are on the same page to me. Maybe Cam to? Shrugs.

The Read Option is fine. It's the over use of it that's the problem (especially when The Panthers make it so easy to detect with opposing defenses out of the/their Shotgun).

Hey Gettleman, 1 of 2 QBs in the Superbowl are run option.

The 49ers caught teams off guard with KP. I don't think that'll work too good against the Ravens. Next year teams will be more prepared for them just like they were for us, but I doubt the 49ers will use it as frequent as we did. I say let Cam be a pocket passer. Run the ball and some playaction and if Cam gets pressure or sees free yardage let him do what he does. Simple

He never mentioned taking it away as a whole, but to not use it as a base offense, a la chud.... Did you watch the first half of this season?

The first half of the season was very similar to the second half of the season in terms of utilizing the read option. We just tightened the formations. I'm willing to bet Cam had more rushing yards the last half of the season than he did the first half of the season

As much as I hated Chud installing the read option as our base offense, I hope this doesn't mean we're going to do away with it entirely. Like it or not, read option is here to stay, and the teams who can bust it out and sprinkle it in well are the teams that are going to win in today's league.

BTW he said 10 of the 12 teams in the playoffs didn't use it. Actually that number is 9. The 3 teams that did use the read option, were out of 4 teams in the league that used it extensively.

Maybe he should look at it like this. 3 out of 4 teams that heavily utilized the read option, made the playoffs.

I hope we didn't hire a dinosaur!! If so we went from being ahead of the curve in 2011 to behind the curve in 2013.

Archived