• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rookie Luke Kuechly >>> Julius Peppers in his Prime

Hotsauce

when Pep was on, there was no one better....but, with that said, he also benefited from a great D-line. Luke on the other hand just has IT. Great instincts, tackling machine, and a high motor. But, they also play different positions. Dan Morgan would have been a better comparison.

Yes, that great defensive line of Kemo, Lewis, and Brayton (on that token, one wonders why Fox didn't play Johnson more who had 6 sacks in limited time) who helped him reach 14.5 sacks in 2008 and then 10.5 in 2009.

I know a lot of people dislike him now, and I'm not too fond of him either with how he left, but man. As of now, Peppers is quite clearly the better defensive player. Maybe Kuechly will change that in the future. But for someone to say (not saying you said it by the way, just in response to the thread) Luke in his rookie year was anywhere close to J-Pep in his prime is an idiotic statement. Lets not seriously underrate the guy because of our personal feelings towards him.

Yes, that great defensive line of Kemo, Lewis, and Brayton (on that token, one wonders why Fox didn't play Johnson more who had 6 sacks in limited time) who helped him reach 14.5 sacks in 2008 and then 10.5 in 2009.

I know a lot of people dislike him now, and I'm not too fond of him either with how he left, but man. As of now, Peppers is quite clearly the better defensive player. Maybe Kuechly will change that in the future. But for someone to say (not saying you said it by the way, just in response to the thread) Luke in his rookie year was anywhere close to J-Pep in his prime is an idiotic statement. Lets not seriously underrate the guy because of our personal feelings towards him.

im talking about Jenks, Buckner, and Rucker.

Peppers was once thought of as the best defensive player in the league and had the potential to be the best defensive player in NFL history. Many experts and players have said it, and I have seen it, on occasion. Freakish athlete that refined the DE position much like Gonzalez redefined the TE position.

Luke ain't there yet, but his first step is so quick it's scary. It gets him in trouble on playactions, but he stuffs runs in the backfield like no other. Barring injury, he will surpass the Urlachers of the NFL.

After thinking about it, and looking at the roster, I think I would take Keek over Peppers right now.

We have a really good duo with Johnson and Hardy already. I think that Johnson could have a similar career to Peppers if he can stay healthy and hungry. The same could be said for Hardy's potential as well.

I'm just curious as to what the LB lineup will be this year with the return of Beason.

right now, yeah. but this guy said JP in his prime.

What???? LMFAO!

Peppers wasn't GREAT? He was a great DE for the Panthers. He now is a good player for the Bears.

I'm guessing you never seen Peppers in a Panthers uniform.

I seen peppers play plenty even at the stadium and I also remember him being a ghost in the playoffs.

Absolutely, WHEN peppers played, he was amazing....but the guy wasn't an every down player. Sure he had talent, yes he made amazing plays, and yes OC would poo themselves trying to game plan for him. But I do not believe that he made the impact on every down like Keek does.

Also, here is Peppers stats. I know 2007 was one year, but it was in the middle of his "prime"

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/3530/julius-peppers

Keeks stats

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14938/luke-kuechly

you said peppers in his prime the fact you think bringing up the 07 season helps your arguement shows how shotty it is to begin with peppers from 04, 05, and 06 was probably the best defensive player in football I wouldn't even put keek top 5 right now much less #1.

End thread

Will say as others have said a Morgan v Keek or Beason V Keek would have made more sense

Archived