• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interesting interview with Mike Tannenbaum on Sirius today.

Strawman

Rich Gannon asked MT while he was Jets GM was there a decision he regretted. His answer is he wished in hindsight he had drafted more offensive skill position players. That when Holmes and Keller got hurt, there were no other receiving threats, and Sanchez was forced to make riskier throws. With Gettleman having been in the same market, there's little doubt he saw this as well.

The correlation with the Panthers is obvious, young QB, one legit WR, and a very good tight end being the major players. The possibility of injury to SS obviously grows as he gets older, and the thought of Olsen going down should make Panther fans queasy as well.

I was a proponent of DT or OG in the first round, but now I'm rethinking that philosophy. We absolutely need a WR, it may be our biggest need. Kennan Allen, C Patterson, or D Hopkins seem to be the way the club is leaning, and rightly so. The only other WR I see as a possibility who would be there after round 1 is A Dobson, who I'm extremely high on. Unless Star, or L Johnson fall to us, I think Gman will go best available WR at 1. I would hate to repeat the Jets mistake, with an offense that's looks ready to take that next step to possible elite status.

Rich Gannon asked MT while he was Jets GM was there a decision he regretted. His answer is he wished in hindsight he had drafted more offensive skill position players. That when Holmes and Keller got hurt, there were no other receiving threats, and Sanchez was forced to make riskier throws. With Gettleman having been in the same market, there's little doubt he saw this as well.

The correlation with the Panthers is obvious, young QB, one legit WR, and a very good tight end being the major players. The possibility of injury to SS obviously grows as he gets older, and the thought of Olsen going down should make Panther fans queasy as well.

I was a proponent of DT or OG in the first round, but now I'm rethinking that philosophy. We absolutely need a WR, it may be our biggest need. Kennan Allen, C Patterson, or D Hopkins seem to be the way the club is leaning, and rightly so. The only other WR I see as a possibility who would be there after round 1 is A Dobson, who I'm extremely high on. Unless Star, or L Johnson fall to us, I think Gman will go best available WR at 1. I would hate to repeat the Jets mistake, with an offense that's looks ready to take that next step to possible elite status.

True, I think we're in a good spot to take the best player in round 1, and that very well might be a receiver. Someone for Cam to mature with. I'd also be fine with OL or DT, but receiver sounds more appealing the more it's talked about.

I think unless someone falls....I think Carolina is going to draft Hopkins if he is there. Seems to be the best "fit" in Carolina over some of the other WRs. Fit matters.

Cam

Luke

Hopkins....let'ss see if I can make it 3 in a row.

I agree with this sentiment 100%. There are two kinds of people, those that think you should build a team inside/out by addressing D Line and O line first and those that think a team should be built outside/in by first building a strong secondary and WR/TE corps THEN build the trenches.

I am fully a outside/in guy. Look at the Packers, awful O line but a ton of receiving targets, mediocre D line but solid LB and secondary corps. Thats how I feel a team should be built.

I cringe at taking a D line or O line player in the first two rounds, draft those positions later rounds and coach them up. Now obviously if you are a team that is already stacked with WRs and DBs, then yes by all means draft the O line/D line early. Skill positions should be first priorty

Ehh I kind of agree but when you have Mark Sanchez in one hand and Cam in the other it's a big difference. If there is a WR there at 14 or 44 with great value then of course take him. I think Cam can make a receiver better than what he is if someone was to go down though.

Dobson! I watched his vids and i'm sold...just where to draft him? This guy could be our "Cruz". He nice

I dont think we pick wr first after getting Ginn and Hixon. We still have plenty of ?s at wr on our roster, too many to use our first pick on another.

I understand the OP, imo this yrs wr crop doesnt need to be in the top 15 talk...except maybe austin and most the ones i like are futher down the projections anyways.

Ehh I kind of agree but when you have Mark Sanchez in one hand and Cam in the other it's a big difference. If there is a WR there at 14 or 44 with great value then of course take him. I think Cam can make a receiver better than what he is if someone was to go down though.

On one hand I agree with you, the skill level difference between Cam and Sanchez is huge, and also his scramble ability allows more time for Wrs to get open. But beyond SS, we have no one who demands respect in coverage.

On one hand I agree with you, the skill level difference between Cam and Sanchez is huge, and also his scramble ability allows more time for Wrs to get open. But beyond SS, we have no one who demands respect in coverage.

True.. But do you see any of the WR's in this draft that demands respect in coverage right away? I'd love to somehow land Amari Cooper in next years draft but that would lead us to trading up for him or really sucking this season

I agree,. Cam needs more weapons.

Just not at the cost of reaching for one in the first. I don't see any offensive weapons in the draft that will be BPA at our pick.

That's true. I think in a lot of other drafts, guys like Cordarelle Patterson would be struggling for a first round grade, but he's gotten pushed up because of all the questions on skill guys this year.

I think unless someone falls....I think Carolina is going to draft Hopkins if he is there. Seems to be the best "fit" in Carolina over some of the other WRs. Fit matters.

Cam

Luke

one thing that goes unnoticed with Hopkins as far as fit is he played with a moblie QB who could buy time in pocket such as Cam. so he has experience with keeping routes going or finding different spots on the field so his QB can find him,which other WRs on this team struggled with last year. I been on the Allen train since last April, but im thinking more and more that Hopkins is just the better fit here.

Cam

Luke

one thing that goes unnoticed with Hopkins as far as fit is he played with a moblie QB who could buy time in pocket such as Cam. so he has experience with keeping routes going or finding different spots on the field so his QB can find him,which other WRs on this team struggled with last year. I been on the Allen train since last April, but im thinking more and more that Hopkins is just the better fit here.

I like both of your guys views and mostly agree with them but I am perplexed that you guys think Hopkins is a better fit. I have watched every snap available online for both players and don't see Hopkins being better at anything other than getting behind defenses more often and his health.

Is it just the speed difference?

Archived