• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interesting interview with Mike Tannenbaum on Sirius today.

Strawman

Rich Gannon asked MT while he was Jets GM was there a decision he regretted. His answer is he wished in hindsight he had drafted more offensive skill position players. That when Holmes and Keller got hurt, there were no other receiving threats, and Sanchez was forced to make riskier throws. With Gettleman having been in the same market, there's little doubt he saw this as well.

The correlation with the Panthers is obvious, young QB, one legit WR, and a very good tight end being the major players. The possibility of injury to SS obviously grows as he gets older, and the thought of Olsen going down should make Panther fans queasy as well.

I was a proponent of DT or OG in the first round, but now I'm rethinking that philosophy. We absolutely need a WR, it may be our biggest need. Kennan Allen, C Patterson, or D Hopkins seem to be the way the club is leaning, and rightly so. The only other WR I see as a possibility who would be there after round 1 is A Dobson, who I'm extremely high on. Unless Star, or L Johnson fall to us, I think Gman will go best available WR at 1. I would hate to repeat the Jets mistake, with an offense that's looks ready to take that next step to possible elite status.

This is what I've been saying for a while. Although we have had a NT problem for about 4 years now we have always managed to find a journey man capable of letting our defense compete.

However at WR we have not had an oil change for about 10 years and are on the verge of breakdown. Hixon I think will significantly help but I think Keenan Allen or Hopkins will make our WR core a force to be reckoned with. Either of those guys will fit us well and will provide the redzone threat that we need. As far as TE goes I don't expect Olsen to get hurt but it would be wise to find an athletic option in the later rounds. I wish Barnidge had stayed because I think he is a pretty good back up.

True.. But do you see any of the WR's in this draft that demands respect in coverage right away? I'd love to somehow land Amari Cooper in next years draft but that would lead us to trading up for him or really sucking this season

Amari Cooper is only a true Sophomore next year so that wouldn't happen. The top receiver next year will be Marqise Lee, and after him Watkins....

I agree,. Cam needs more weapons.

Just not at the cost of reaching for one in the first. I don't see any offensive weapons in the draft that will be BPA at our pick.

tbh, i odn't see any position that really shines above all the rest after the first handful of prospects are gone.

it would be just as much of a reach going for pretty much any position at that point. there's just not a whole lot of seperation between what you'd find at 14 thru 44. from the mid first round thru pretty much the end of the second there just isn't a ton of seperation of talent. not a whole lot of top end/elite talent, but still a lot of very good players.

we wouldn't be any worse off drafting a WR at 14 than we would any other position we're seriously considering.

This is what I've been saying for a while. Although we have had a NT problem for about 4 years now we have always managed to find a journey man capable of letting our defense compete.

However at WR we have not had an oil change for about 10 years and are on the verge of breakdown. Hixon I think will significantly help but I think Keenan Allen or Hopkins will make our WR core a force to be reckoned with. Either of those guys will fit us well and will provide the redzone threat that we need. As far as TE goes I don't expect Olsen to get hurt but it would be wise to find an athletic option in the later rounds. I wish Barnidge had stayed because I think he is a pretty good back up.

Were you here in 2010,2011, and 2012?

I don't like the idea of using a bandaide on the DT position again. We saw this year how placing more importance on the position helps the Defense as a whole.

Plus you're forgetting the fact we've drafted 5 wr's and brought in 3 Fa WR the last 3 years. When was the last time we used a top 60 pick on a DT? We have done nothing but bring in bandaids for that position.

Archived