• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So Many Are Worried About Our Offense...I Just Don't See The Problem

SetfreexX

We didn't have the resources to dedicate to finding Smitty's replacement in the draft this year. By the time the draft came around to where we could afford to take a chance on one there simply weren't any available with the potential upside. Rather than grabbing a 5th round body to compete in a crowded group, we addressed other areas.

Next draft will almost certainly be the "find a Smitty replacement" draft.

what happens when we lose smitty...and i'm not talking about when he retires in a year or two or whatever...but when he gets hurt and has to miss significant time again.

we've been lucky the last couple years, but i don't anticipate that luck to hold out much longer. he plays too hard and takes harder hits than anyone. at some point he's going to break again. i hope not, but that has to be expected and planned for.

so when that happens, and you have to approach it as WHEN and not IF, what do we do? who do we turn to?

No I think he will be smarter then Chud. I think he will use a power set Run game to take pressure off Cam and the OLine. Instead of doing the (Chud) move of trying to reinvent the wheel and having a whole offense based around the Read Option. I think he will have Cam under center and let him do audibles unlike Chud. I Shula will have more of a connection to the roster and the rest of the coaching staff then Chud did.

All valid points and I hope your right. The main mistake I think this team is making tho is waiting to find Smittys replacement. I want a guy on the roster that can replace him now. That would make him that much dangerous. Like ATL with Julio and Roddy both are #1s.

what happens when we lose smitty...and i'm not talking about when he retires in a year or two or whatever...but when he gets hurt and has to miss significant time again.

we've been lucky the last couple years, but i don't anticipate that luck to hold out much longer. he plays too hard and takes harder hits than anyone. at some point he's going to break again. i hope not, but that has to be expected and planned for.

so when that happens, and you have to approach it as WHEN and not IF, what do we do? who do we turn to?

What a Stupid argument.

You can say that about a few position. What if OLsen, Gross, or Cam goes down??? We would be fuged. You could have drafted a WR in the 1st round and if Smitty goes down we would still be fuged!! There wasn't a WR in this draft that could have replace Smitty if he goes down.

The problem with our offense isnt the now, its the future. You have pro bowl center that is getting up there in age and coming off injury, your pro bowl LT in Gross will be 34 and gone next year. Our star WR will be 35 next year. The rest of our O lind is pretty suspect.

Kalil is 28. I'd hardly call that "getting up there."

Chud's career skyrocketed from TE Coach to NFL Head Coach in a matter of a few years.

Compare that to Shula.

and how long did it take for someone to want to give him another shot at an OC job? sure wasn't a decade.

lot's of hopes and dreams with little to back it up about shula.

Archived