• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So Many Are Worried About Our Offense...I Just Don't See The Problem

SetfreexX

Our RBs couldn't run because we were trying to run them out of read option sets that weren't working.

and we weren't using read option sets well.

the read option wasn't the problem. it was not having the right RBs for it (after further review DWill doesn't fit it) and not disguising it or using passing plays nearly enough out of that formation.

defenses knew when we were going to throw it and they knew when we were going to run it.

we also didn't have an OL that could handle blocking for it.

Our RBs couldn't run because we were trying to run them out of read option sets that weren't working.

Our RBs struggled ALL YEAR running.....didn't matter how we ran them. That tells you it wasn't the read option so much it was guards sucked

plus the fact we ran the read option w/ non read option RBs....which slows it down on top of the bad OL play.

Our RBs struggled ALL YEAR running.....didn't matter how we ran them. That tells you it wasn't the read option so much it was guards sucked

plus the fact we ran the read option w/ non read option RBs....which slows it down on top of the bad OL play.

i don't think it was just one of the two. the OL struggled and we struggled running the read option. both things are true and each thing contributed to the problem with the other. the OL sucking hurt the running of the read option and pretty much every offensive strategy we had and trying to run the read option the way we did hurt the OL.

btw, you were right about dwill not being cut out for the read option. just thought i would throw that in there. i think barner and stewart are the backs we are going to be using for the read option.

So we get rid of Louis Murphy who, in my opinion, was barely better than Nannee, and sign Hixon as well as Ginn Jr but our offense is in trouble because we didn't spend a single pick on a WR?

I don't get it. There is no WR that I would've taken over Star Lotululei. What about Kawann Short you ask? Could you tell me the name of a WR drafted in the 2nd after we picked? I'll help out: Aaron Dobson at the end of the 2nd when NE took him. Guess when Keenan Allen and others finally went? The middle of the 3rd round, and that's when the run began. About 8 WRs came off of the board between our 2nd round pick and 4th. Were we really supposed to draft Chris Harper who was the next WR to be drafted in the late 20s after our 4th round pick?

RG has been a black hole for years now. The first two picks went to turning a weakness into a strength with DT, and competition was brought in in the 4th. This kid has boa arms and was heavily recruited by the likes of Alabama, Florida, and Georgia.

Gettleman has set us up nicely to draft OT, WR, and DB next year depending on how this season plays out. Taylor Lewan, Jake Matthews, Sammy Watkins, and Marqise Lee are all set to declare for the draft next year. Hopefully we'll have to trade up to get them ;)

I see that our defense was ranked higher than our offense last year. But 4/5 picks went to one side of the ball and 90% of our picks since Rivera arrived has all been defense. Now don't get me wrong I'm excited about our defense but you can't forget the other side of the ball.

Rivera said at the end of the season it was a priority to surround Cam with weapons. This leads me to believe he doesn't think we have enough on the roster already. The only additions were Hixon and Ginn. One is a decent receiver and the other a bust. Not exactly weapons

3/5 Edmond and barner play offense

Those worrying about our offense need to relax. Smitty, Olsen and Lafell alone can keep us competitive. We signed hixon and ginn, whom at the VERY worst make the other receivers work harder.Lets face reality though, if Gettis doesnt come out this year hes a 1 yr wonder, and i use that rerm loosely

The biggest problem with the offense is, who is going to be the #1 guy when Smitty retires or falls off...or heaven forbid gets injured? I thought they'd be drafting a guy in the 2nd round who could at least COMPETE for the #1 job in a year or two. But I guess Gettleman didn't see it as a priority, or didn't see anyone they liked.

I feel, and Gettleman probably felt, there were only 1 or 2 guys that could ever potentially compete for #1 spot and they were long gone by our 2nd round pick.  The guys I thought could compete were Hunter and maybe Hopkins.  When they were gone, he probably felt our picks were better spent elsewhere than padding an already crowded back end of the WR depth chart.

I'm not worried about the offense either.  Except maybe the o-line, having Kalil back kinda eases that worry though, and hopefully the guard they drafted will be good enough to start day one.  As far as the other positions go, we have one of the most explosive offenses in the league.  If Smith went down with injury, Olsen would become the first option, because he's pretty much the true #2 option right now anyways.  Nothing against Lafell, he's the #2 receiver, but he isn't the 2nd option.  I also believe Gettis will come back strong and have a good year.  Plus teams have to worry about our 4 dynamic RBs.  I'm not worried about it at all.  And I think Shula will be alright.

Archived