• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sooooo....what would you do?

Johnny Rockets

So last night I give my daughter a hug and a kiss and she says something like "that's exactly where my bus driver kissed me". I of course get all "WTF did you just say??!!!" inside but I played it cool and asked a few questions like it was no big deal. She said when she gets off the bus he gives her a hug and once in awhile kisses her on the cheek. Once again I am all "WTF I am going to kill this MFer" but I still play it cool because I don't want to spook her and make her stop talking. She tells me it's fine because he is really old like in his 50's. 

I called my ex wife and she says that my daughter had mentioned in the past that her bus driver is really nice and has hugged her when she gets off the bus. Once again I am like WTF!!!!???. Well, she calls the neighbor who has a kid that rides the same bus and is the same age and her daughter says he hugs the kids all the time as they get off the bus.

Now my daughter is very "skittish" about things and people but she acted like she was not uncomfortable with it at all but I really don't fug and called the school this morning and am waiting for a call back. This guy might just be a really nice guy but am I wrong to be bringing this up as an issue? For the record my ex is on my side with this and his concerned as well. I plan on being rational about this and not wanting a man to lose his job if it truely is a kind gesture but I am not going to just ignore this because it just seems inappropriate and I will protect my daughter at all costs.

Thoughts?

I'd be a little uncomfortable about it too JR. It's probably something innocent and something that wouldn't have been looked at twice "back in the day", but in today's world I guess you just never know. Given today's world vs. "back in the day" the driver should know better too.  

If I knew the driver and had a good "gut feel" from him I might have just told him hugging kids isn't such a good idea given the environment today.

That is inappropriate... even if he's a kindly old grandfather driving the bus, it's still a very bad idea.

Can you be at the bus stop when she gets off and see if he does it with you there?

I think that you can inquire about it without getting the guy fired, but regardless I think you should inquire about it.

Glad I brought this up, because I really don't want the guy to lose his livelihood if it is just a kind gesture. So many bus driver's are total a$$holes nowadays (but who can blame them with the way kids are nowadays) and it would be a shame if he really is just a nice guy who loves what he does.  

Think what I will do is just ignore the phone call back from the principal and get a better feel of the situation before discussing it with the school. She is the first stop after school and is literally on the bus less then 5 minutes. I am going to be there to get her off the bus on Friday and will try to get a feel of what is going on and maybe have her mom talk about it a bit more with her this evening.

Good advice Huddle. You may have just saved this man's job.

Just want to put out there that pedos are not the creepy, unshaven old guys wearing all black like in movies. They want children to be comfortable around them, so don't let the "sweet old man" routine throw you for a loop.

That being said, definitely find out what's going on before jumping the gun.

If you're uncomfortable with it, as I am, I'd skip the call and head up to the school. It is extremely inappropriate and not normal. Lively hood or not, fug that guy man. No one should be hugging your kid, let alone kissing her on the cheek. Not cool. Take it up with the administrator.

Ha, I'm rememering what my school bus drivers used to be like.  Back then they were high school students, and they'd even keep the buses parked in front of their houses at night. One I remember was like Otto from the Simpsons.   He had the jambox taped to the front dash, smoked cigarettes.  Claimed he removed the "governor" from the gas so he could go faster. Good times, good times...

As others have said, kissing and hugging school children is clearly inappropriate and should be reported to his supervisor.  There is absolutely no excuse for that kind of behavior, especially from the bus driver who is alone on the bus with the children.

I keep trying to come up with some valid excuse, but, there really isn't one.  Even if it's completely innocent, this guy HAS to be aware of the world we live in today, and especially since you can't turn on the TV or go to any news sites without hearing about the Cleveland guy's abduction of 3 girls.  I'm not really sure what I would do, honestly.   I mean, if it's doing this in front of parents picking their kids up and all that, is he really bad?  You'd think he'd want to keep that stuff hidden.  IDK, in the end, it's weird or at least, he should know better.

I would heavily consider going ahead and letting the principal know what your daughter has told you and her mother. You can convey your message with the same level of pragmatism you've used in this thread, but someone in charge needs to know. Physically interacting with children is unacceptable for a school/city employee. A bus driver can be kind and friendly without resorting to touching.

If you're uncomfortable with it, as I am, I'd skip the call and head up to the school. It is extremely inappropriate and not normal. Lively hood or not, fug that guy man. No one should be hugging your kid, let alone kissing her on the cheek. Not cool. Take it up with the administrator.

Agree

Archived