• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Quitting Smoking tomorrow after 6 years.

TheRumGone

So this will be my third and final attempt at quitting smoking. And i know this one will last because i'm just at my wits end. I can't stand myself every time I light up. 

My father smoked 2 packs a day for 5 years, my mother smoked 1 pack a day for 10, and my grandmother a pack a day for 30 years.   They all quit cold turkey, and i will be doing the same. The last time i quit it lasted 4 months, and i honestly don't know why i started up again. I didn't even feel the need to, I just did it.

But I'm gonna be 26 in September and it's just time for me to not be "that guy" anymore. None of my friends smoke, and I constantly get shitted on for doing so. So that should help. I'm gonna be quitting alcohol completely for a couple of weeks, going to exercise more regularly and continue my weight training program. Today I have rationed myself off. I've only smoked one cigarette, since i've been up at 6 am, and i feel pretty good. Just doing increments that get longer and longer till i finish this pack today.  What helped me last time was everytime i felt the urge to smoke or felt like poo, I kept reminding myself that cigarettes were the cause of this.  

Does anybody else have anymore tips?

So this will be my third and final attempt at quitting smoking. And i know this one will last because i'm just at my wits end. I can't stand myself every time I light up. 

My father smoked 2 packs a day for 5 years, my mother smoked 1 pack a day for 10, and my grandmother a pack a day for 30 years.   They all quit cold turkey, and i will be doing the same. The last time i quit it lasted 4 months, and i honestly don't know why i started up again. I didn't even feel the need to, I just did it.

But I'm gonna be 26 in September and it's just time for me to not be "that guy" anymore. None of my friends smoke, and I constantly get shitted on for doing so. So that should help. I'm gonna be quitting alcohol completely for a couple of weeks, going to exercise more regularly and continue my weight training program. Today I have rationed myself off. I've only smoked one cigarette, since i've been up at 6 am, and i feel pretty good. Just doing increments that get longer and longer till i finish this pack today.  What helped me last time was everytime i felt the urge to smoke or felt like poo, I kept reminding myself that cigarettes were the cause of this.  

Does anybody else have anymore tips?

Don't quit drinking or generally avoid your trigger situations. Do everything the same as you normally do but just don't smoke. Constantly remind yourself why you're not smoking while in those situations. Otherwise you're stopping smoking in an artificial environment and once you reintroduce those trigger situations, you're going to have the urge to smoke all over again. Just bite the bullet all at once.

When I quit smoking, I forced myself to go out drinking with my friends who all mostly smoked. After doing it a few times, it didn't bother me anymore. 

Yea, I've heard horror stories about Chantix. But thanks Floppin. I was planning on canceling my bar hopping plans this weekend, but you are right I need to just do everything I normally would do. I'm also lucky that none of my friends smoke, and i've told them all i'm quitting so they got my back.  I've quit before, so i know what to expect.

if you've quit a few times you know the physical addiction isn't what gets you... it's weeks down the road when your brain starts to trick you into thinking you can have "just one."

watch that shiat.  you open the door again and eventually you'll be back where you started.  it may take years but more likely than not... you'll be back.  don't be afraid to continue the ritual... go outside and take breaks... just don't smoke... it helps.

good luck.  also... get a big box of toothpicks.  in my experience, they help tremendously.

< smoked for 15  years, quit and relapsed more times than i can count.  currently 3 months smoke-free.  

Good luck man, it's tough.

See if you can find a reason to stay quit.  Mine was an agreement I had with my dad to help him quit so that he could have 3 vertebrae replaced in his neck.  Of course he's smoking again and I'm not, but meh..

Hating yourself for lighting up is half the battle so it sounds like you are at the right state of mind to quit. Just everytime you think about having a smoke, think about the fact that you are letting something so small like a cigarette control you and don't let it happen. That's how I quit....Hated the fact that I let something so something so pathetic controll my life for 18 years. Also took Chantix for 2 weeks then put the cigs down down and then continued on Chantix for another 2 weeks after. 

After 4 1/2 years of quitting I started back after some big life stresses. I would have sworn on my mom's grave I would never pick another one up so never let your guard down.....EVER. 

Chantix definitely works, but you have to be willing and ready to handle the side affects if you choose to go that route. I open my cabinet every morning and see my packs of Chantix waiting there to be used again. I am getting close, but I just don't "hate" smoking enough yet.

Best of luck to you, it will be the best thing you ever have done when you realize you are free and clear of them.

****BTW, I had to cough 4 times just while typing that. Fug a smokers cough.

You may have already done it, but throw away any packs you have left over.  And obviously don't buy any more.  You won't be as tempted as you were when you had a pack right in your pocket.

And honestly, if you go out to bars this weekend, I don't think it's terrible if you bum a cig or two. Just keep it to a minimum, and maybe don't even finish the whole thing.  Or just take a couple of drags off someone's short. 

Try that a few times, to the point where when you are drinking you don't crave it hardly at all.

I used to casually smoke during and after college, maybe like a pack or two a week.  It really started to bug me when I was playing basketball.  Your lungs should not feel like they are on fire when you exert yourself.  That was enough to piss me off and stop buying packs.

Yea, I've already cleaned out my car, thrown away lighters, empty packs. Every single remnant of anything cigarette related has been disposed of except this last pack I have. And i can't smoke out in the bars if I quit, I just gotta stop completely.

I quit cold turkey after smoking a pack a day for 20 years.   As you know its hard but it can be done. I used to fuging love cigarettes, love them. Once I made the decision I just kept telling myself "I HAVE to quit. I have to" and that got me thru the cravings. 

Your plan for exercise is a good one. I started running when I quit.  I also ate bags of Jolly Ranchers.  I fuged alot too, burned off the craving. 

Its been over 17 years since I quit. If I can do it, anyone can. 

Good luck!!

Archived