• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kugbila Game Footage: Is he worth the 4th round pick?

PantherFeez

It all depends on how much said person behind computer knows and how good they are at identifying certain traits and attributes. 

There is only a limited number of those "jobs" that are given to people connected to the coaches and organization. 

You look for physical characteristics in all phases of the draft. Not just in the later rounds. 

All of the following players were ranked as UDFA....

Wes Welker, Arian Foster, Antonio Gates, James Harrison and Bart Scott

So, even the experts don't have this down to a science.

That is my point.

The whole point of this thread was to watch the tape yourself and evaluate... 

For those of you who didn't notice, my statement was ironic.  Taken from MadHatter 4 posts above.  Interestingly, he got 2 pie, I got multiple negative responses.  Just goes to show, if I had agreed with your point that Kugbila was going to be some fuging all-star hidden gem player it would not have been an issue.

Saying drafting him that early was a mistake because he looks slow and didn't have the grades to get into a SEC school gets torn apart.

That is my point.

That is one of the biggest area of concern I have with most Huddlers. They grasp at straws. And not the good thick bendy kind. They go for those cheap skinny kind that break before you can unwrap it.

Sure there are stories about late round diamonds. But those stories are more Urban Legend than reality. The fact of the matter is, if you stake your career on late round talent. You will not have a career for long.

There usually is a very good reason why a guy is late round talent. But go ahead and take that chance on him. You are obviously smarter than everyone else, RIGHT?

That is one of the biggest area of concern I have with most Huddlers. They grasp at straws. And not the good thick bendy kind. They go for those cheap skinny kind that break before you can unwrap it.

Sure there are stories about late round diamonds. But those stories are more Urban Legend than reality. The fact of the matter is, if you stake your career on late round talent. You will not have a career for long.

There usually is a very good reason why a guy is late round talent. But go ahead and take that chance on him. You are obviously smarter than everyone else, RIGHT?

Not sure where you are going with your post.

My comment was that it is comical to have Huddlers claim they can evaluate the difference between a 4th-5th round OL prospect and a 7th -UDFA prospect by watching youtube highlights.

the pick of Kugzilla did surprise me.  Had not heard of him.  However, after hearing reports that damn near every coach that worked him out in the NFL liked the kid.....I think he is worth the pick.

The comment about "not being smart enough to get in the SEC" is also comical.  The kid moved from Africa when he was 12 yo.  If people don't understand that this is difficult, they are clueless.

He definitely has the physical tools (big, quick, great feet, etc).  He was a 5 star recruit that had offers from most SEC teams.  He is the kind of player that you take in the 4th-7th rounds.  Has ALL of the physical tools and can be coached up.

That is my point.

Gates would look like an awesome TE prospect to be. I dont know anything about the other dudes. 

There are other things that go into play with guys doing well and not doing well. 

Mental issues 

Dedication issues

Off the field issues

Coaching situation (given a chance / being put in the best situation to excel etc) 

Those are some things you cant see from just watching them play. 

Yes, there are guys that scouts miss on every year. Scouting and player development cant be a exact science due to all the other variables at play besides skill and athleticism. 

My comment was that it is comical to have Huddlers claim they can evaluate the difference between a 4th-5th round OL prospect and a 7th -UDFA prospect by watching youtube highlights.

the pick of Kugzilla did surprise me.  Had not heard of him.  However, after hearing reports that damn near every coach that worked him out in the NFL liked the kid.....I think he is worth the pick.

The comment about "not being smart enough to get in the SEC" is also comical.  The kid moved from Africa when he was 12 yo.  If people don't understand that this is difficult, they are clueless.

He definitely has the physical tools (big, quick, great feet, etc).  He was a 5 star recruit that had offers from most SEC teams.  He is the kind of player that you take in the 4th-7th rounds.  Has ALL of the physical tools and can be coached up.

I was basically making fun of those who just know they could have pulled a rabbit out of the hat in the later rounds.

And it all stems from the fact that every so often some late rounder makes a name for themselves. Sure it happens. But if you stake your reputation on finding late round talent. You may not have a job for long.

Late round talent is an oxymoron. It is a myth. It does not exist. For the most part anywho. 1 or 2 guys a year is an anomaly not a trend.

For those of you who didn't notice, my statement was ironic.  Taken from MadHatter 4 posts above.  Interestingly, he got 2 pie, I got multiple negative responses.  Just goes to show, if I had agreed with your point that Kugbila was going to be some fuging all-star hidden gem player it would not have been an issue.

Saying drafting him that early was a mistake because he looks slow and didn't have the grades to get into a SEC school gets torn apart.

I didn't pie or post anything in here since starting the thread. I proposed conversions soley on the condensed footage that wasn't available to any of the "armchair youtube gm's" until I threw the footage up. I was asking for film evaluation, not your opinion on Kug without watching the now available footage.

If we are not counting on him to start .My concern is we need someone better than Piggy to start especially if we are going to a power running game. I did not really see anything special but then again I am not a scout.

First things first, is Amini going to pan out?  He's the one we should be focusing on not the rookie 4th rounder who may or may not play this year.  For that matter what about Kalil?  Is he ready to go?  If Amini takes the next step will Gross return to form?  Is Hangartner really our best option at RG?  Will Bell keep the job at RT?  So much more to contemplate other than this new kid.

First things first, is Amini going to pan out?  He's the one we should be focusing on not the rookie 4th rounder who may or may not play this year.  For that matter what about Kalil?  Is he ready to go?  If Amini takes the next step will Gross return to form?  Is Hangartner really our best option at RG?  Will Bell keep the job at RT?  So much more to contemplate other than this new kid.

Yea I am more concerned about our OL this year and not next years project. With Bruce Campbell, Amini and now Kublai......are we trying to get enough learning challenged players to start a special Ed class? 

he looks slow, but he's really not. he's just not graceful at all, in fact i used the word lumbering to describe him once because i really didn't know how else to describe it. it ain't pretty, but the big guy gets where he needs to be in a hurry. you watch his games again and you'll see when he's called to trap on the left side, he's there in a hurry and as a run blocker he's quick enough to push through to the second level without holding up the RB much. when he had to deal with blitzers, he got where he needed to be quite quickly as well, which was easy a lot of the time because defenders would stay away from areas he was blocking so he'd have to look for people to hit while making sure there were no delayed blitzes coming his way. the guy was aware and had his head on a swivel.

i watched a lot of his games after we drafted him and i've got to tell you, the guy was dominant in every sense of the word, which is exactly what you want to see from a small school guy. he came with the nick saban stamp of approval, apparently.

as far as his grades not being high enough to get into an SEC school....not entirely true. it was a low SAT score that did it and considering he was an immigrant from west africa, it's understandable why. but even then he only missed it by 10 points.

he could have gone the juco route and transferred later but he visited valdosta st and liked it and decided to stay. can't say i blame the guy, either. he could have transferred to bama or any of the other schools that were recruiting him heavily, but he opted to stay where he was comfortable and try to make a difference there...which isn't a bad trait to have.

If we are not counting on him to start .My concern is we need someone better than Piggy to start especially if we are going to a power running game. I did not really see anything special but then again I am not a scout.

kugbila is the type RG you want to have if you're going to be running a power run game. the dude goes where he wants to, regardless of who is in front of him. guys that follow him get yards and into the endzone when they are at the goal line.

Any debate about why/where a player was drafted before even plays as a pro,

is wasted time and effort.

he wasn't drafted in the fourth round by the panthers based on the opinions of the media. that would be idiotic to even draw a line between.

i don't even care if he starts for us this season. if he does, that'll be a bonus.

most linemen in the league, especially guards, are lower round draft picks, if they were even drafted.

Archived