• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why is Shula simplifying the offense?

SCP

If people are having meltdowns like this before camp in July, wait until preseason.

If our offense has one negative play this place will be littered with "I told you so" threads.

Count on it.  And guess who will leading the whining and complaining.

If people are having meltdowns like this before camp in July, wait until preseason.

If our offense has one negative play this place will be littered with "I told you so" threads.

If we've proven anything over the years it's that no matter what happens this place will be littered with "I told you so" threads from one person or another.

Someone always has a point to prove or an argument to make.

If we've proven anything over the years it's that no matter what happens this place will be littered with "I told you so" threads from one person or another.

Someone always has a point to prove or an argument to make.

Its almost like its an open discussion.

Weird.

;)

this place is going to explode in preseason.  the stage is being set nicely for it.

There are always threads warning about making assumptions over preseason play... but they never work.

this place is going to explode in preseason.  the stage is being set nicely for it.

Only from those who don't have a clue about football.  Given the offense is still being installed, given there is little game planning except in week 3, given that the starters don't  play much of the time, There is little you can tell about preseason really.  Teams are going to be vanilla and not show too much.

Anyone who puts too much into preseason just shows how little they know. 

I fully understand the whole preseason is meaningless thing. But looking at Shula's coaching philosophy from his past and comparing it to a "simplifying" tactic he is using today is wrong? Coaches are creatures of habit and change direction like a battleship. I sure hope he has had an epiphany over the last decade. I don't want to go back to Fox-ball.

Only from those who don't have a clue about football.  Given the offense is still being installed, given there is little game planning except in week 3, given that the starters don't  play much of the time, There is little you can tell about preseason really.  Teams are going to be vanilla and not show too much.

Anyone who puts too much into preseason just shows how little they know. 

Remember the many fans here during preseason who confidently confirmed their baseless predictions that Cam would be a bust after seeing him in a few meaningless games with no game planning?

That worked out well didn't it? Needless to say, there were many fans that disappeared until his "slump" in 2012.

The big picture:  The offense needed (seemingly) the most help, but it got the least amount of help through free agency and the draft.  Shula's presence suggests two things:  We want consistency over change and he has his hands on the pulse of the QB more than any other person on earth.  Another batch of Xs and Os could only enhance confusition.  Cam's comments about the change in verbage suggests that some players were confused by Chud's systemic wording. 

We already know that we are going to run the ball more.  That in itself is simplification, regardless whether or not it had anything to do with Tampa Bay last century.  They audtited the offense and determined a few things: 

• The were not getting their bang for the buck at RB.  Why have 2 top first round RBs and give them each 10 or fewer carries?
  • It was taking too much time to learn the system.  In the first 20 games of the past 2 years, the Panthers are 4-16.  Was the learning curve too big? 
  • The Panthers seem to feel confident that they can improve the offense with what is already on the roster.  Kugbila is a 2014 player for what it is worth.  We seem happy with Hangartner and GWilliams in the short term.  Hixon is a complimentary player, but an upgrade who should catch over 30 balls. 
  • Barner gives them more offensive options, something that cannot be undervalued. 
  • By not running the ball well last year, how significant was defensive fatique in the fourth quarter?  The defense is improved and the focus was on a DL rotation.  I think the offense's quick strike or three and out approach wore out our hog mollies.
  • The focus on defense gives the offense better field position, so the offense simply needs to execute, not more fire power. 

So it would seem that the offense intends to improve by turning the players we already have loose, not by complexity of game plan.  It is a form of addition through subtraction.  With an improved running game, will Cam, Lafell, Smitty, and Olsen be better?  They seem to be banking on it.  Better field position for the offense, better clock management for the defense.  To me, this is the strategy.

Sure, some will scream about WRs and CBs, but remember, Gettlemen inherited bad contracts and was $16 million over the cap.  He did not have a third round draft pick.  Still, he put us in position to win without unrealistically finding a super star at every position. 

This is the reason we are simplifying.  We are not taking Cam out of the equation, we are balancing the offense to help Cam not feel as if he has to do it all himself.  Others will step up.  Cam will become a Captain and a complete QB when that happens.

So looking at Shula's coaching philosophy from his past and comparing it to a "simplifying" tactic he is using today is wrong? Coaches are creatures of habit and change direction like a battleship. I sure hope he has had an epiphany over the last decade. I don't want to go back to Fox-ball.

He was a big part of simplifying the offense last year after the break which allowed Newton to shine and really play well.  Why does everyone keep going back to 1996 when they have a much easier and closer comparison which is last year.  (And don't tell me he had nothing to do with the offense and that Chud did everything.) The offense was simplified allowing Newton to play faster.  Now he is simplifying the terminology to make it easier for new players to learn and to get the plays faster.  I really don't see the big deal.   I know that if I am wrong folks will line up to pound me about it but frankly I am really optimistic that things are going to go well this year.

There are always threads warning about making assumptions over preseason play... but they never work.

the thing is, i'm not sure why people need to be warned. it's not a big deal if people overreact a bit for the good or the bad. too many people feel like they got to play parents and warn the kiddos to protect them against themselves. it's not like it hurts anything or anyone for that to happen.

Archived