• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

ESPN/NFCS showing how informed they are ...

La Pantera

You've got to be out of you're mind.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=nfcsouth&id=48590

Carolina Panthers: By drafting two defensive tackles with their first two picks, the Panthers look as though they have a fantastic front seven. But their secondary still really worries me. Drayton Florence and D.J. Moore were added at cornerback, but that simply isn’t enough to elevate concerns about the back end of Carolina’s defense. Chris Gamble is out of the picture, leaving Josh Norman and Captain Munnerlyn as the Panthers’ starting corners, although Florence could factor into that equation. Norman had a very up-and-down -- mostly down -- 2012 season, but he does have ability and could be primed to take a step forward in 2013. Munnerlyn, who is best equipped to be a slot cornerback, is probably the Panthers’ best defensive back. Josh Thomas has been underwhelming throughout his career and will provide cornerback depth. Carolina is one of the weakest teams in the league at the safety position. Charles Godfrey will start for sure, and Haruki Nakamura is likely to be the other stating safety. Godfrey is average in coverage and isn’t much of a force in the run game, but he is the best the Panthers have right now. Nakamura should be a backup, but he will most likely be forced to log a lot of snaps. Carolina should be scouring the waiver wire for secondary help, especially at safety.

Fiz,

I see that as of the time of this post you are viewing this thread. I miss you buddy. Please come home. This place isn't the same without you. I'll cook your favorite dinner. Some of these new guys need to be schooled for the enjoyment of the rest of us. Thanks again old friend.

Love,

Montsta

/mostly no homo

Makes sense to me. Our secondary sucks. Get over it. Even if Naka doesn't start, he's still gonna get a lot of snaps.

If this was the case they wouldn't have brought up DJ Campbell IMO. They want someone other than nakaidiot to have the other safety spot

If this was the case they wouldn't have brought up DJ Campbell IMO. They want someone other than nakaidiot to have the other safety spot

Okay, Mitchell may start but he wouldn't be any better in pass coverage. Run coverage? Definitely. I just don't see a set starter at safety. It will be a rotation. 

I said this another thread about our awful secondary. Our secondary from our Super Bowl run were a bunch of nobodies. If you have a killer front seven, your back four will look a lot better. If we pressure the qb with CJ and Kraken, but Star and KK and Dwan don't allow the qb to step up in the pocket, you will see far less deep throws over naka's head like last year. You'll see more throws that allow them to break in or across.

Yeah I don't see Yasinkas anywhere in that article.

At this point it's mostly one extreme or the other with fans stance on how our secondary will perform this year. I'm in the middle. I don't think it will be as bad as people think, but those homers here are going to be disappointed.

Pat didn't write this, 'Matt Williamson' did. Pat isn't the best writer but I expect him to know Godfrey is FS and Nakamura isn't gonna see the field. Matt could probably care less.

You're right. Pat writes most of these so I didn't read the name of the writer.

nothing to get excited about.

We can't fix everything at once.  This year we'll hope our front 7 will guard us.

We've got some big contracts and other positions to fill ahead of us.  Unless we suddenly get

picked apart this year, we still need to draft an OT and a WR.

This year we'll be so incredibly balanced in the front 7 we can let our young guys develop.

Off-season articles that repeat the obvious are nothing to get excited about.

Archived